Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although she smiled at the end of the match, the smile was hesitant, almost forced, a smile of relief... her big smile of a champion was no longer there today... she's lost something today, not her game but her confidence. Negativity>Positively

The Venus of old is suddenly disintegrating.. and this loss isn't going to help. Although her injury may have played a part, she didn't seem to have the determination she is renound for today.

At this very moment her heart isn't to tennis, perhaps her losses against Serena in the previous 4 slams have played a part.. She's still got game, it's just finding a way to relieve her mental anxiety on the court...

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
It`s very sad to me :sad: I miss her champion spirit :sad:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a great Venus fan.... but her confidence was totally not there, making error after error it was awful to watch, even Serena was cringing. have to feel sorry for her at this very moment

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
She was giving it away today and Vera took it ;)

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Well, this is why I'm a fan of sports. Though I am not happy she lost, fans have to know that these things happen. Who knows? She may never win on the big stage again, but I'm going to root for her like hell to do so.:)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
tyk101 said:
Although she smiled at the end of the match, the smile was hesitant, almost forced, a smile of relief... her big smile of a champion was no longer there today... she's lost something today, not her game but her confidence. Negativity>Positively

The Venus of old is suddenly disintegrating.. and this loss isn't going to help. Although her injury may have played a part, she didn't seem to have the determination she is renound for today.

At this very moment her heart isn't to tennis, perhaps her losses against Serena in the previous 4 slams have played a part.. She's still got game, it's just finding a way to relieve her mental anxiety on the court...

You must be joking, right? Truly there is nothing worse than bad couch potato psychology. She lost a match why would she smile her champions smile after losing? That makes no sense at all! And as far as her confidence goes she wasn't lacking that when she dismantled Kim in antwerp did she? And that was after losing four finals to her sister. Give it a rest please. Venus needs to work on her game and FOCUS on tennis that is why she lost. The competition is getting better. Vera played out of her mind and played smart tennis. The days of I can play at 70% of my ability against most of the tour are over. The new girls are here and they are ready to get to the top. Venus should hire someone to run her company and get back to her primary career imo. Business ventures will always be there Tennis won't and thats a fact.

Reactions: maccardel

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Alot of people are counting Venus out...prematurely..

Her year has not been as bad as some are making it out to be. She lost in Miami and here...she was in the finals of the last four slams...and she was just in the finals of Warsaw...now if she goes to Wimby and loses and them loses in all of her summer tournaments then we have something to worry about...some of us just need to chill...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
omg Cybelle Darkholme we speak the same language. Ive been trying to say that all along that you can always start a business in your life so why jump into it when you tennis career is limited.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I agree... I think she needs to concentrate 100% on tennis now and put the distractions away. I believe she still has the ability to be in each & every final but not without a total focus on tennis. THe other players are getting too good

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
I just think those 4 slam finals she lost to Serena took something out of her. It was devastating, because in the past when Venus got to slam finals she would win. She has said in her interviews that it was dissapointing to lose all those times in important matches.

It is hard for her to deal with, especially with all eyes on her wondering what she will do next. How is she supposed to feel after her first early loss in a major in about 1 1/2 years? Any sane person would not be smiling.

IMO, Venus will have to re dedicate herself to improving. She is a proud young lady, and does not feel the need to get extra outside help with her serve and forehand. Richard and Oracence have both did a great job coaching, but what is wrong with getting extra help? Serena did without thinking twice.

My hope is that Venus will take this loss seriously and get some help with her game. IMO, these type of losses are good for her because they will force her to try too improve. If not then I don't know how she will keep going on in tennis. She has all the goods, but really needs to get her drive and dedication back.

I will continue to support her as all her fans should, but I hope she realizes that she needs to get some extra help.

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
She needs to play more often, I hope she can play her best tennis in the grass and HC season.

Go Queen! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Realistically, this isn't as big a sea-change in women's tennis as some might think. If such an upset was going to happen anywhere it would be at Roland Garros, where the opposition have that little bit more time to play their own game; both Williamses will be as hard to stop as ever at Wimbledon with their grass-court artillery.

Equally though, I'm not surprised that it's Venus who has been the first to be toppled prematurely in a Grand Slam by a non-Williams. She's both mentally and technically weaker than Serena, and it's something she needs to address. There was one game today when she dumped her forehand tamely into the middle of the net twice in a row; the court was wide open, all she had to do was push it over, and she still missed.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Hendouble said:
Realistically, this isn't as big a sea-change in women's tennis as some might think. If such an upset was going to happen anywhere it would be at Roland Garros, where the opposition have that little bit more time to play their own game; both Williamses will be as hard to stop as ever at Wimbledon with their grass-court artillery.
Exactly Hendouble. I think the surface has alot to do with it. Some of the girls have time to set up their games at the French. Clay is the greatest equalizer.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Venus is experiencing what my fave Hingis experienced. It is shell shock (cappy too btw) when you are #1 in the world and then suddenly you cannot win a grand slam (or in this case Cappy has won no tourney and Venus have not won a Tier 1 event in forever)

luckily for Venus and Jennifer they are still healthy and can fight back. Martina Hingis isn't healthy. She tried to come back and fought hard to improve her game (which she did in OYZ 2002 but the mental game was not back) and then her injuries broke her spirit. Luckily though she is injuring her life.

Venus and Jenn are both still awesome players but playing second fiddle is tough on them. Lindsay and Monica have actually dealth with that better.

·
Banned
845 Posts
What do you people expect from Venus? Have any of you ever had an abdominal muscle strain and try to serve or move around. The worse part about it, was that she did not have a day off to ice her stomach and take care of the strain. Did you see the stats on her serve that was not venus. Yesterday she was serving at 113-120mph and is because she had a day of to take care of herself. I have never seen Venus low on confidence that is not in her nature. She could be dying of pain and none of us would ever know because it is something she will never admit to.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
lol...... I hope you meant "enjoying" her life. :)

But that's Martina. She is always going to be laughing and smiling. Those are my best memories of her.... seeing her call out to other players coming and going to the practice courts, smiling radiantly at the little children clustered around the fence to get her autograph, laughing at her own stupid mistakes on the court. We will never ever see anything like her again.

But, I agree that Venus has to swallow hard here. Who knows how it really affects her? She says she is happy to see Serena doing well, and she says that being number 2 isn't as much fun as being number one. It has to sort of hurt to be playing only a supporting role in the drama that is Serena's tennis career. Sort of like having the best friend role when she used to be the star.

But you know we saw that with Stefi too when Monica started beating her. Suddenly Graf was having losses against other players too. She was losing some of her confidence.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts