Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been waiting for someone to bring this up, but I noticed that Venus' second serve has changed. The most notable change is that she is now mixing it up very well even kicking them up to the backhand of her opponent. I really hope she keeps working hard on it cause her second serve wasn't very attackable for Schnyder and Clijsters in Stanford. Anyone else have any observations??

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
I think that the serve improvement is due to two factors: 1)She keeps her left shoulder lifted before striking the ball. In the past, she seemed to be way to eager to get the point started and position to start the groundstroke off of her opponent's return. 2) Confidence. Because of her improved physical level, Venus knows that she can play through a few points and give a few up on serve. An "in shape" Venus is one of the five best athletes in the world.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I hope that it has indeed improved!

I'm still to see Venus play the way she did in the summer of 2001. One tournament in particular, Acura Classic, there is nothing she was doing wrong. Her serve, forehand, the lethal backhand!

i hope she reaches that level for the US Open. Then we are in for a cracker tournament!

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
she has been improving it since AO final 03 . she said that her second serve was a problem in that match and it was cuz playing against Rena with a poor serve u wont win the match. she went to Antwerp and her serve was much much better Kim couldn't atack it in the final so thats where i saw that she changed it. it's much better now

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
#1 Reason- Confidence...

She believes that she can add a little more mustard to the ball because of the way the rest of her game is being played (defense, groundies, speed, etc.)

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
RenaSlam588 said:
#1 Reason- Confidence...

She believes that she can add a little more mustard to the ball because of the way the rest of her game is being played (defense, groundies, speed, etc.)
Stop trying to copy what I say. . .LOL!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Haven't been able to see Venus play lately, but from what I hear it sounds like she is really imrpoving her second serve. This will only boost Venus' confidence when she get out of sticky situations with a good second serve.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I think the biggest difference is her willingness to accept double-faults. I know that sounds odd, but that's the price you pace for doing more with a second serve. She used to get virtually all of them in, and they got killed. Now she accepts the reality that she's going to miss some second serves, and tries to do more with them.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I noticed a difference in her 2nd serve
in her 1st match at the Australian Open
against Daniilidou.

In that she wasn't simply
slicing in the 2nd serve.

I agree as well with the notion that she is
more willing to double fault going for the
2nd serve instead of just getting it in.

That says a lot of her 2nd serve as well.

Hopefully she will continue to
improve upon it.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
Confidence is one of the biggest things with second serves. If I haven't been playing for a while, I doubt myself on the important points and either double fault or fanny them in. When I'm playing well, I don't doubt myself and plan where I'm going to hit them, and with what spin.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Pureracket said:
I think that the serve improvement is due to two factors: 1)She keeps her left shoulder lifted before striking the ball. In the past, she seemed to be way to eager to get the point started and position to start the groundstroke off of her opponent's return. 2) Confidence. Because of her improved physical level, Venus knows that she can play through a few points and give a few up on serve. An "in shape" Venus is one of the five best athletes in the world.
The first point I think applies to the rest of her game too, in that she's not rushing herself to set up for the next shot, and that she's taking time between points to compose herself. :)

Also, her placing importance on the placement of her serves and shots shows that she's playing the game more with her head and not just her muscles. ;) :yeah:

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Venus doesn't want to hit powder puff second serves anymore. The Elena D. match in 2004 at Miami, Venus had 12 double faults and 3 in a row serving for the match. She said that she never wants to hit second serves like that again. They were short, no pace, and very attackable. I struggle with the same thing that Venus does on her serve. We both can hit the kick and slice serves, but our heads tend to jerk down or we don't accelerate enough to create spin to keep the serve in the box. Recently I've been working non-stop to develop and sustain a very heavily spun serve on my second delivery. The thing is that I've been accelerating more on contact than on my first serve (which is pretty big). That takes confidence to do!! Venus has worked hard on her second serve big time, but nobody sees the differences but her fans. Venus was hitting a lot of kick serves in Stanford which was surprising because she ususally slices her second serve. I was impressed by that!! Keep working Venus!! If she can control the forehand like at Wimbledon and have a controlled aggresive spin serve on the second, who can beat her besides Serena (who we hope starts playing better)?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Well, I'm glad to see that her second serve is no more attackable than any other player's, except perhaps (Maria's). I mean that is impressive that the she only dropped serve once in her first five matches at Wimbie. :eek: Of course, Venus made her lose serve four times when they played :bounce:
So, despite the work, I still think this remains her greatest area of vulnerability. Fortunately, she does not double-fault too often on critical points, but who needs to give away points. In the Wimbledon final, she gave Davenport 10 points through double-faults and still won. So, Venus can still win despite her second serve. And even if she has confidence in the rest of her game (which she does again now), she could make life much easier for herself by continuing to work on her second serve.
I hope she is getting much needed rest and then spending the next week getting ready for Toronto, which she be a pretty good indicator of where the players games are heading into the open.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts