Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a great thing if Venus Williams became #1

First of all, she deserves to be, as I think everyone would admit she has overall been the best player for the last 18 months at least.

Second of all, it would give her a lot of satisfaction, as well as her fans

Finally, it would restore order to what seems like ranking chaos on the WTA, since the truly dominant player is not #1.

The WTA has tried to adjust the ranking system to make her #1, but no matter what they've done, it hasn't been enough.

Some people have said Venus needs to play more tournaments, which would certainly help, but she evidently prefers not to play too many and is concerned about long-term chronic injuries. Fair enough.

She could be #1 by only playing 14 tournaments.
Either
A) if she won or came close to winning always.
or
B) if she played a higher grade of tournaments.

Of her tournaments last year, 4 were grand slams, 5 Tier IIs, and only 3 Tier Is. She crashed out early in one of those three (Berlin) and only won one (Key Biscayne). Now rumor has it that she is skipping Indian Wells. I understand her anger completely, but I think only she will suffer from this.
Instead of playing two Tier Is (tokyo, Indian Wells), she'll be playing two Tier IIs (paris, dubai) with weaker fields.

Now she might not care about the #1 ranking very much, but I think it would be good for her and women's tennis if she played enough to get it.

Similarly, with Serena, she only played 3 Tier I tournaments last year. She had originally signed up for Tokyo, but now decided to skip it.

It really hurts the girls' rankings not to play those tournaments.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
As I said on another thread, personally, it doesn't matter much to me if Venus is not #1 if she continues to win Slams. I agree, she could put a few more Tier 1s on her schedule and that would be great. As as long as she doesn't let her ranking slip beyond 3 or 4, then she is assured pretty good draws. I just think, at the end of the day, you are judged by the number of MAJOR titles you have won.

For a long time I wanted Venus to play more tourneys, but I just don't think that is going to happen. She does want to be #1, but I think she wants the slams more and will not risk injuring herself or making herself miserable by playing more events than she really wants to. It's pretty clear that the number of ranking points at stake is not a big factor for Venus when she makes her schedule!! I miss seeing her play during the rest of the season, but then I am free to root for my other faves!

Ruth in PA USA

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mishar

To say that the wta has tried to adjust the ranking system to make her #1 belies what you say about her deserving it.

I think based on her performance she will...not deserves but will probably become #1!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mishar,

Your assertion that the wta has tried to adjust the ranking system to make venus no1 is totally false..as well as illogical .....if there was any player that was to benefit from the changes made ( and I am not saying there was ) then that player was Capriati and not Venus ..if Venus had been the target the solution would simply have been to cut the no of tournaments to less than 17 maybe 14 ....increasing the no of points available for the grand slams would have placed Jen above Lindsay and increased jens lead over venus .....thats rather stupid if the point is to help venus. The changes were probably made to make it very unlikely that a non slam winner could finish no1 in a year when some other player won multiple slams ..by my off hand calulation there are about 348 more pts availble to the winner of slam than last year and although there are changes for each round the biggest differences are heavily wieghted toward the finalist and winner.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I think the WTA needs to find 1 ranking system and leave it alone. Granted, this one may not be the best, but it's the best they've ever had. We can't change ranking systems to just enhance player A or player B's shot at being #1.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
It's absurd to even suggest that they changed a ranking system for Venus Williams.

Where are your facts at man?:) Thank you to itsallaboutinis:)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gosh, what did I say to deserve all this nastiness?

I'm a fan of Venus!

I think the WTA found itself at the end of 2000 of having the best player in the game not be #1, they got a lot of criticism for the ranking system, and they tried to adjust it.
Likewise in 2001 the two best players of the year as far as the grand slams, neither ended up #1, they got even more criticism, they tried to adjust it again.
I didn't mean to imply that they were doing something fishy to help Venus.

Just they were trying their best to change a system that wasn't working that well, to gauge the best player, and I think the changes were pretty good.
I just fear that even if Venus becomes #1, which I think she will very soon, she won't stay there, not because she's not playing well, but because of the Tier I/II system, and the tournaments she chooses to play.
It certainly was no criticism of Venus. I'm not sure why I got attacked as an enemy.
I don't know how to use one of those smiley faces even!!!

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
I'm not a Venus fan by any means but she is the hardest to beat so anyone beating her should get 100 points.

It kinds of pains me and alot of others when a so called #1 loses to anyone.

·
Registered
298 Posts
"First of all, she deserves to be, as I think everyone would admit she has overall been the best player for the last 18 months at least. "

Actually, that's exactly what she hasn't, because that is what the one-year rankings show. Obviously, Martina, Jennifer and Lindsay have been better.

Venus has been dominating for short periods of time during the last eighteen months, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well ..........after beating Maleeva in straight sets, venus is now only 88 points behind Davenport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Venus.........Beat Seles and take the lead!!!!!!!!:bounce:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Oh yeah.... if Venus does well here, all the number disputes will end!! :p :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts