Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there has been any news about venues for the upcoming World Group Semi-Finals, which are right after Wimbledon. Of particular interest is where the USA will decide to host their tie against Russia. I think location will be a big factor in whether Serena Williams will play the tie. (Venus Williams has already confirmed that she will be there, and I would guess Lisa Raymond and Vania King would jump at another chance to play.) Russia usually has a solid team, so Serena's attendence, or lack of, could make a big difference. The surface, of course is also of interest. The USA will definitely not pick clay, but either hard court or grass is quite possible.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm thinking that they're definitely going to pick Hard courts. USA is hosting the semi's, so they're going to pick the surface. I think that Ohio..or a state near there (I forget which, but I'm pretty sure it was Ohio) was interested in being the location for the semi's against Russia.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The tie will be played in Stowe Vermont according to yahoo.com

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tie will be played in Stowe Vermont according to yahoo.com
Yup... the same information is also up on the USTA website (http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iType=949&inewsid=427837). I'm guessing the surface is going to be hardcourt (the article doesn't spacifically say). Stowe seems like a wierd place to have a Fed Cup Semi-Final. I'm sure the USTA wants to bring professional tennis to a new location, but it certainly seems very out of the way. I hope the American players will all want to compete there!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I just checked room availability at Topnotch for that
weekend--nothing. Does anyone know if they've blocked
off that weekend so that they can offer ticket/hotel
packages?

Mary

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Anyone have any news about the Italy/France venue please?!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the official press release from fedcup.com (http://www.fedcup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=11115):
Venues confirmed for Fed Cup semifinals

The venues have been confirmed for the semifinals of the 2007 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas on 14-15 July subject to final approval by the ITF. USA will take on Russia in Stowe, Vermont, while defending champion Italy will host France in Castellaneta Marina.

The USTA announced that the USA-Russia semifinal will be held at the Topnotch Resort and Spa in Stowe. The stadium will be built next to the existing indoor tennis facility, with the tie played on hard court.

“Stowe, Vermont is such a beautiful region of our country and we look forward to returning tennis to an area that has a proven commitment to the game,” said US Fed Cup Captain Zina Garrison. “Our goal is to win the Fed Cup and we look forward to facing a competitive Russian team.”

Tickets will go on sale to the general public during the week of 4 June and can be purchased by calling +1 888 334 8782.

The Italian Tennis Federation announced that it will return to the Nova Yardinia stadium in Castellaneta Marina for Italy’s semifinal against France. The stadium was the venue for Italy’s first round victory over China, although the seating will be expanded to allow 4000 spectators. The tie will be played on clay.

Ticket information will be released in due course.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I contacted Topnotch; they've blocked off rooms, but they are
taking names for a contact list when the rooms become available.
(This is for Stowe, Vermont.)

Mary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts