Tennis Forum banner

261 - 280 of 369 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,122 Posts
Venus played well in women’s doubles tonight (aside from some DFs and nervy serving while trying to serve it out :help: ). She and Pera won 5-2. Her ROS was dialed in for the first time since WTT began.

.... then she played mixed with Arevalo and it was a complete fucking disaster. They lost 5-1. They had a collision in the first game of the match — both of them tried to hit a smash at the same time and both swung, nearly taking each other’s heads off. They ended up losing the first 10 points of the match and looked very unsettled. Venus’s volleying was shameful.

Kastles are eliminated from playoff contention now. Venus will get some time to rest before Lexington, at least.

I like her new serve a lot. She had a few shaky sets, but she looks comfortable with the motion for the most part. Her 1st serve is looking quite effective and she’s hitting some better 2nds. The toss is still messy though, especially in pressure moments. It’s worrying that she’s getting so nervous in WTT.

Her ground game was a disaster 2 weeks ago (she looked very rushed by the quick courts) but got progressively better as she got more matchplay. In recent matches, her baseline errors have been kept to a minimum.

Movement needs to improve though. She’s too slow for singles atm — that’s why Lisicki roasted her and was hitting winners on damn near every point. Venus can’t defend against dropshots, dropvolleys, or wrong footers at all right now. Fingers crossed that she’ll be moving better by the time Lexington starts.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,122 Posts
The new ranking system doesn’t help Venus’s Tokyo chances much at all. The “keep the better result between 2019 and 2020” rule means that Kiiis will hold onto her Cincy title, and Riske will hold onto her Asian points (including Wuhan F) and her grass points from 2018. Venus is gonna need huge runs at the majors to catch up to them.

I feel like Venus shouldn’t play singles in “Cincinnati.” Let’s be honest, the odds of her improving on her QF run from last year are low. She should save her energy for the MAGA Open the following week.

I’d like to see her play:
— Lexington (singles only)
— Cincy (doubles only)
— MAGA Open (singles + doubles)

Then decide on a clay schedule depending on how deep she goes in NY and how she feels physically. I’d like to see her play doubles in one of the warmups (even if she needs a non-Serena partner) and doubles @ RG.

The odds aren’t in her favor to salvage her singles ranking in time for Tokyo, but getting that doubles ranking up is soooooooo doable if she commits.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
The mixed with Arevalo was a hot mess from both (he's a nice man but he loves to hog the court lol). I'm low-key glad the Kastles have been eliminated because with Vee signed up for singles/doubles in consecutive weeks she will be exhausted and it may literally come down to her having a deep run on clay (which is not the likeliest scenario).

I agree with you on her schedule, Cinci is basically keeping her ranking respectable at this point and it's too much to expect deep runs in singles/dubs at every event. I wonder if her and her team are aware of these eligibility rules etc.?

Kenin, Serena and Riske are probably uncatchable (especially with the Asian swing being cancelled so Riske's points are untouchable). Basically she needs to lap Keys and hope that none of the other girls do (and there are at least 10 of them in the same boat as Venus - Jen Brady is suddenly looking quite dangerous on hard courts and Gauff can now play any event she wants). The only positive is that some of her nemeses are likely out of the US Open (Svitolina, Halep, Kerber, Muguruza?). She needs to snatch American wigs in the first round and hope everyone else does too.

I also agree with you on her movement / defence. It's hard to say because we didn't see her in action during this period, but I wonder if she was moving better before she fucked her knee up again during quarantine. She really looked SHREDDED about a month or two ago and I was looking forward to seeing her back on court. As it is in WTT she basically needs to ballbash earlier in the rallies before being dragged into running laterally. I think she'd be playing less erratically if she was more confident in her movement.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Is she gonna have to qualify for Lexington?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Is she gonna have to qualify for Lexington?
Nope, she is listed in the main draw entry list. She juuust got in at the last spot (prob thanks to some withdrawals), as Taylor Townsend is the next main draw alternate and she is ranked below Venus.

I don't think she will play qualies at this stage of her career. I wish she didn't have to rely on wildcards, but i'm glad she can get them if she needs them. Time to boost that mf ranking!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm actually quietly optimistic about Venus's future play. The serve is looking soooooo much better, she's starting to hit with pace and direction consistently. I think Venus's movement has been great, there have actually been a few points where she has moved incredibly well. I think she's just tentative with her movement, as she doesn't want to upset her knee, and rightly so, she isn't getting any points playing wtt, and she has a lot of tennis to play in the next few weeks.

This event is perfect for getting some rhythm, and getting some match fitness as well. Fingers crossed she has a good recovery, and some nice future draws too. V definitely needs some wins to help with her confidence, which will hopefully make her feel more relaxed and therefore play better moving forward.

·
Registered
27,656 Posts
Thank goodness it only happened in WTT. Literally Sabine's biggest moment in 7 years.... honestly Venus stays giving these girls their breakthroughs and reviving dead careers. 😭 She redeemed herself somewhat today with a 5-2 win in doubles (partnering with Pera). Her serve was awesome and she covered the net well.

And I think even the good sis V-MAC has moved on from Joan.
Sis it‘s been trying to say the least but I still have a glimmer of hope for her 👀

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Even after the Kastles were eliminated, Venus had to go hurt our pride with a 5-3 loss to D*v*d W*tt's new player Pegula (and then a loss to her in doubles as well).

As much as WTT will have helped her get some rhythm, i'm looking forward to her competing in a more normal scoring system and court speed. The WTT courts were like twice as fast as the ones on the regular tour lol.

Just over a week until Lexington! :) Does someone want to volunteer to make the thread?

·
Registered
27,656 Posts
Just saw “highlights” of that Lisicki match....
Vee’s movement doesn’t look good at all 👀 I hope she’s just saving herself for real tournaments.
And not to sound cold hearted but jeez, you won five games in a meaningless competition against an opponent who wasn’t even moving.....those tears were ridiculously OTT.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Y’all Queenus is in Nike’s “You can’t stop us” ad. Is she getting Nike monies?????

Reactions: leftbrian

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Just saw “highlights” of that Lisicki match....
Vee’s movement doesn’t look good at all 👀 I hope she’s just saving herself for real tournaments.
And not to sound cold hearted but jeez, you won five games in a meaningless competition against an opponent who wasn’t even moving.....those tears were ridiculously OTT.
Umm seriously she (Liscki) cried over that win? Was this her first time on court since that long injury layoff? If it was that I can sort of understand. If not that's a mess. But she did always cry super easily.

Y’all Queenus is in Nike’s “You can’t stop us” ad. Is she getting Nike monies?????
:eek:

Oh my that would be interesting. I saw Serena post something about it. It seemed to just be the picture of her hugging Serena. So maybe Serena just wanted that used.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Queenchard...sis, really?

This thread has TOO MANY FAKE RELIGIONS.

I need @Sister Price to cleanse this place with her voodoo power!

Queenchard 😭
This place has gone to the dogs.
The Planet Veesus Permanent Security Council review is coming up. I think Sister Couv's seat might need reallocating.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
I also don't know what the go is with Nike and the image of Venus. They need to give our queen her desperately-needed coins if they're going to use that footage!!!

If you saw how insanely awful Lisicki was playing before Venus was across the net, you'd find a real reason to be in tears. Sis really does get emotional though. I was like ummm... it's world team tennis. Not the Wimbledon final.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Queenchard 😭
The Planet Veesus Permanent Security Council review is coming up. I think Sister Couv's seat might need reallocating.
Don't even try it. How quickly the girls here forget it was Queenchard above all others that took Mel to task calling her ass out and humiliating her on court by beating her while ranked 10000 in the world. Queenchard remembers that disrespectful AO reaction Mel gave Queen even though some so called FANS here didn't find it appalling.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Don't even try it. How quickly the girls here forget it was Queenchard above all others that took Mel to task calling her ass out and humiliating her on court by beating her while ranked 10000 in the world. Queenchard remembers that disrespectful AO reaction Mel gave Queen even though some so called FANS here didn't find it appalling.

Talking about disrespectful tho!!!

But let me SIT since Martha was inappropriate towards Veesus in that AO 🤐

Look at Martha's career now 😂

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Queenchard
Second

Motion passed

I move we also relocate the Reptar fans to the retired player forums as well

Reactions: Sister Price
261 - 280 of 369 Posts