Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
@Marcus1979 I can feel it coming! So many people at Westfield today it's only a matter of time lol.

@shadownumber Yep! I think to be one of the doubles teams you have to be one of the top 4 US singles players, or in the top 10 in the world in doubles. BMS and Kenin are looking probable. Gotta watch out for Coco G and McNally playing a lot of doubles together too.

@swim4life107 The Missy / Nelly Furtado song!! :love: So crazy to hear she felt she didn't really deserve the US Open and was rusty and hadn't put in all the work she needed to.... sis you were on a win streak that to this day hasn't been broken! PS love Zina's hair.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
In WTT news, Venus has won her last 3 ties! although one of those wins (against BMS and Bouchard in doubles) took the Kastles into overtime and then Venus and Arina lost the overall tie in OT. Dead that after losing the overall tie, Venus went to the bench to put a mask on before shaking hands with their team (which includes Rajeev Ram) lol.

She got a singles win over Joan Stephens too!! Some great netplay and moving pretty well. Her reaction to the volley winner lmao... here are some clips from twitter:

Her matches also had the highest TV ratings for WTT so far, and it seems that K Swiss shoe deal is real because she is wearing them on court.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"did Venus blow your mind?" Yes. Yes she has. Forgot about that song! So fitting. Great flashback. And so nice to see her beat Sloane! Without a knee brace too!!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
@swim4life107 The Missy / Nelly Furtado song!! :love: So crazy to hear she felt she didn't really deserve the US Open and was rusty and hadn't put in all the work she needed to.... sis you were on a win streak that to this day hasn't been broken! PS love Zina's hair.
Zina looks completely SNATCHED in that interview. I had to do a double take because she looks way different now. Wish they would have allowed her to continue commentating. It might have been helpful having a black commentator who was a former tennis player during the early years of Venus/Serena. I don't think you would have seen the same coded/problematic characterizations.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
In an exhibition match bish! It doesn't count yasssss thank you Lord Lakeisha!!!

Jynx's PERFECT record intact!!!
Sis Joan is OVAH. I died laughing the other day when, even in a first to 5 games, no-advantage EXHIBITION she went down 1-3 and decided to give up and sub in Eugenia BouBou. 😭 😂 The slump is real.

In even better news Venus did NOT wear her knee brace during the match. When they inevitably meet in R1 in Lexington Venus is going to snatch that ass. Miss Fluke better drink a few extra bottles of that cheap protein milk she promotes when that day comes.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Zina looks completely SNATCHED in that interview. I had to do a double take because she looks way different now. Wish they would have allowed her to continue commentating. It might have been helpful having a black commentator who was a former tennis player during the early years of Venus/Serena. I don't think you would have seen the same coded/problematic characterizations.
She looks awesome! So sad to hear her recently reveal that she struggled with disordered eating throughout her career, you can tell it has been an up-and-down struggle for her throughout the years.

She was a great commentator. I loved seeing her and Lori McNeil (two black grass court queens) in V & S' box when they won one of their Wimbledon doubles titles. Felt like a passing of the torch. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I didn't know Robby Ginepri was the coach. I always liked him! Thanks so much for sharing! Anyone else notice she is standing a lil more back on first serve returns?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Just got Venus get lashed by Lisucki 5-3. :( :( :( Sabine has barely won points and games this week (only 4 games before this victory in singles), getting subbed out for Clijsters in almost every match.

It was honestly more about Lisicki playing well than Venus' bad play (Sabine was crying after the victory), but Venus' ROS really needs some work. She was getting jammed so easily (then again Lisicki barely missed a 1st serve and we know how powerful it is), and not responding well to drop shots.

On the plus side, she was serving BIG (even with some DFs), and once again no tape on the knee. She is also on the OOP for womens doubles later today. Everyone else at WTT has adjusted their string tension, and if Vee wants to win more matches I would suggest she do the same. The ball is flying, there is a lot of altitude.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Just got Venus get lashed by Lisucki 5-3. :( :( :( Sabine has barely won points and games this week (only 4 games before this victory in singles), getting subbed out for Clijsters in almost every match.

It was honestly more about Lisicki playing well than Venus' bad play (Sabine was crying after the victory), but Venus' ROS really needs some work. She was getting jammed so easily (then again Lisicki barely missed a 1st serve and we know how powerful it is), and not responding well to drop shots.

On the plus side, she was serving BIG (even with some DFs), and once again no tape on the knee. She is also on the OOP for womens doubles later today. Everyone else at WTT has adjusted their string tension, and if Vee wants to win more matches I would suggest she do the same. The ball is flying, there is a lot of altitude.
Lishitski still plays tennis??? Damn.

You know our stubborn queen ain’t gonna be tensioning her damn racquet. I’m happy af she’s getting lotsa lotsa match play though

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Venus & Serena also sign up for doubles in "Cincy."

I am guessing they might play the USO together too? Obviously it's unlikely they'll both go deep in singles and doubles at EVERY event, but that's a LOT of tennis for their ageing bodies lol. Makes me wonder if they are even considering heading to Europe for clay season after the US events.

I hope Venus is ready... outside of the sunshine double [which luckily she gets to hold onto], her biggest point defence comes at Cincinnati (QF last year) and the USO last year is the only slam match win on her ranking. With so few 'big' events between now and the Olympics (and even fewer on hard court than normal) she needs to go deep in all of them.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Queen was spared a lashing for Fiona only to have it happen with Lisicki! :mad:

Joan is in a tragic state. Is Hapless her only fan now? (#sad).

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Thank goodness it only happened in WTT. Literally Sabine's biggest moment in 7 years.... honestly Venus stays giving these girls their breakthroughs and reviving dead careers. 😭 She redeemed herself somewhat today with a 5-2 win in doubles (partnering with Pera). Her serve was awesome and she covered the net well.

And I think even the good sis V-MAC has moved on from Joan.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Ya'll acting like Lord Stephens is 40 years old or something!!!

She's coming for Veesus' fake ass blonde wig in 2021 and ya'll betta be ready to pick up the strands off the floor 💄

·
Come on 24th!
7,444 Posts

Some highlights from her win over former player Joan Stephens if anyone wants to get a better look at her new service motion.
Hahahahahahahaha

LOVE that Li Na serve! The queen mother is paying tribute to the Chinese goddess, I'm here for this! :love:

And YAAAAAS @ Robby's beard, he's been aging well!

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
If Venus had been blessed with a 100% healthy body UNLIKE SOME, she would be making the most out of it and not lying on a couch while eating God knows how many Doritos.

Her new serve has less things that could go wrong. She is looking very fluid on serve and her forehand is killer! I know her movement to the backhand has hindered her, but at least it’s looking better. Very proud of our Queen V 🥰

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Ya'll acting like Lord Stephens is 40 years old or something!!!

She's coming for Veesus' fake ass blonde wig in 2021 and ya'll betta be ready to pick up the strands off the floor 💄
Sis you've been spouting this line for how many years now? It is looking more and more like that USO is a fluke. Joan thought she had it but has been passed by the likes of Halep, Osaka etc. Needing to beg Queenchard to sub in for her :LOL:. And without injuries and that concussion Queenchard would be above her.

241 - 260 of 369 Posts