Tennis Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2066 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
How long has TennisForum been around? I lied about my age during the sign-up to join back in 2007. Then TF did that shift where a lot of people lost their old usernames and stuff. That's how I discovered players forums, so I've been here for about the past 5 years.

Once Queenus retires, I probably won't be on TF anymore because GM is TERRIBLE.
TF in some form has been around since at least 1999/2000? I believe they started as the old Sanex message boards/chat room. And then TF came into being and has had its various incarnations since. Those early years had GM filled with a lot of drama between WS & Hingis fans. Nothing crazy racist though that was always behind a bit of the vitriol spewed. The racism really cranked up after Mel's '04 win. That saw an influx of her fans and the constant accusations that Serena was doping (the irony that it got them in the end LOL!) and comments about black bodies etc. That was the era of MadMax, Dominic and a whole slew of others that eventually got perma banned (though lived on...or maybe still live on with alt accounts). But it's worse now. GM has almost nothing to do with tennis in arguments. It's all culture war stuff. Like the drama with Osaka had nothing to do with BLM, woke, cancel culture, SJW. But that was literally all the thread became about :rolleyes:.

I can't at GM pretending that this sort of random fuckery is engaging.
Honestly this is just RG though. It's always so random. Especially post like Evert. No one has really dominated it with the exception of Henin a bit and Serena.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
TF in some form has been around since at least 1999/2000? I believe they started as the old Sanex message boards/chat room. And then TF came into being and has had its various incarnations since. Those early years had GM filled with a lot of drama between WS & Hingis fans. Nothing crazy racist though that was always behind a bit of the vitriol spewed. The racism really cranked up after Mel's '04 win. That saw an influx of her fans and the constant accusations that Serena was doping (the irony that it got them in the end LOL!) and comments about black bodies etc. That was the era of MadMax, Dominic and a whole slew of others that eventually got perma banned (though lived on...or maybe still live on with alt accounts). But it's worse now. GM has almost nothing to do with tennis in arguments. It's all culture war stuff. Like the drama with Osaka had nothing to do with BLM, woke, cancel culture, SJW. But that was literally all the thread became about :rolleyes:.

Honestly this is just RG though. It's always so random. Especially post like Evert. No one has really dominated it with the exception of Henin a bit and Serena.
I accept that RG throws up some random results, but tbh, no matter how the draw has gone, we've usually had a very legitimate champion at the end. Since 2017, it's been monstrous. The other slams have been OK champion-wise, but these draws are falling apart on the regular.

RG's been having the worst of both worlds: draw chaos and underwhelming champions.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
I can't at GM pretending that this sort of random fuckery is engaging.
The whole "I want to see such and such player win so we get TF MELTDOWN!!!!!!" or "thread went for 10 pages... she is so relevant!!!!" troll mentality is so childish and I feel like it's just another symptom of that. "We love the drama" like yes, true, but I also wouldn't mind seeing some quality tennis. :rolleyes:

Regarding another flop RG, It's already the slam where women are shafted to the sidelines the most, and results like this are only going to make that worse. For me an even bigger problem than the random winners and SFalists is the serious lack of quality matches. I can count the entertaining RG matches of the last 5 years on one hand.

The last two editions have been rock bottom, with 2020 being played in blizzards and mud, and this year them delaying the date and completely railroading the already tiny grass season just so they could have about 20 fans show up and help pay off some of the debt they got into by building the roof.

Do we know if Vee is planning on playing another grass warmup after withdrawing from Nottingham? Or what country she is even in right now? :unsure:

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
The whole "I want to see such and such player win so we get TF MELTDOWN!!!!!!" or "thread went for 10 pages... she is so relevant!!!!" troll mentality is so childish and I feel like it's just another symptom of that. "We love the drama" like yes, true, but I also wouldn't mind seeing some quality tennis. :rolleyes:

Regarding another flop RG, It's already the slam where women are shafted to the sidelines the most, and results like this are only going to make that worse. For me an even bigger problem than the random winners and SFalists is the serious lack of quality matches. I can count the entertaining RG matches of the last 5 years on one hand.

The last two editions have been rock bottom, with 2020 being played in blizzards and mud, and this year them delaying the date and completely railroading the already tiny grass season just so they could have about 20 fans show up and help pay off some of the debt they got into by building the roof.

Do we know if Vee is planning on playing another grass warmup after withdrawing from Nottingham? Or what country she is even in right now? :unsure:
I think they kind of go hand in hand. Although nothing is guaranteed, given the top players' inconsistency these days. (That inconsistency is why I've really come to appreciate Barty. She just needs not to overplay, and she'll be a fantastic asset to the sport, if she can keep up the consistency).

But I do agree. We're just not getting those quality, entertaining matches. TF seems, broadly, to be happy with "drama": no matter how negative the overall winner-UE ratio, TF is happy if one of the players called the other a "bitch". (The amount of "Awful match, but the draaaaama!!11!" posts on this forum...😶).

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
19,042 Posts
Veesus is Alt #1 for Wimbledon now after the latest withdrawals. Looks like she'll get in directly and won't need a WC.

I just hope that it aint an Osaka withdrawal that moves her into the main draw. I don't want any "Osaka OUT, Williams IN" headlines. We don't need the general public finding out how much Veesus's ranking has slipped.

I literally laughed out loud LOL.

·
Premium Member
52,880 Posts
Good to hear that it's actually going ahead!
And yeah, it must be bad if you have right-wingers endorsing it, too.
I'm so hoping we follow the precedent you guys have set 🙏
This was from a few months ago but its still going on

·
Premium Member
8,243 Posts
Which one of us will ask Eric what her next tournament is? I can’t believe after so many years that we, her fans, still have to be guessing all the time 🤣. Without those points, we are taking yet another tumble down the rankings. At this rate she will be unranked! 🥲

·
Registered
28,090 Posts
Sinner losing to a professional model in Queens is such a gag😅😍

·
Come on 24th!
7,913 Posts
Sinner losing to a professional model in Queens is such a gag😅😍
Ex-Wimbledon Junior Singles Runner Up knocking out a rising star, I can already feel the UK media all over it.

@Sister Price you know I'm going to tag you to comment on this one 😂

·
Come on 24th!
7,913 Posts
Roger being dragged by a qualifier 👀

Sis better get it together because you KNOW that thousands of people are waiting to snatch his wig in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Y'all what was Queen's injury here? I don't remember watching the final, I'm just now noticed she was hobbling the entire time and both thighs are wrapped.

1961 - 1980 of 2066 Posts