Tennis Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2066 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
The amount of evil men like Murdoch have done to the world from the shadows is just unbelievable to me. It's nice that more people are aware now but there really is no way to make the extremely rich accountable for their actions (obviously I don't think all rich people are evil. I mean more the Murdoch, Koch's etc who misuse their money to hurt others).

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
Thankfully no. Canada has pretty tight restrictions on what is considered news. We also have requirements were a certain % of TV/Film/Radio must be Canadian produced content. So that tends to prevent overseas stuff making it over here. I believe Canadians can get Faux News and other shows like it if the want but they have to do it by specifically selecting it as part of a specialty cable package. And from what I have seen it is never bundled in with anything most people would want.

The bigger hurdle here is social media. Facebook as ensured we have a fair amount of QAnon types. And they certainly played a part in our issues with COVID.

I actually liked that Australia took Zuckerberg and FB to task and curtailed some of its reach there. I'm not really huge of censoring or limiting the internet but the misinformation being spread through social media is really fraying society across the globe.

·
Premium Member
52,880 Posts
Yes, I'm in the UK sis.

I read something a few months ago about a commission into the Murdoch media in Australia. I hope something comes of it (assuming it hasn't been scuppered...).
We desperately need the same here, for our print media. It will never happen while the Conservatives are in government, but I'm hopeful for whenever a Labour government comes to power. The egregiously biased coverage of the Labour party under Corbyn in the UK finally brought the issue of media bias into focus. Far more people are now aware of how extensive, nasty and sinister the Murdoch press is over here. It's gotten to the point where, if you don't have Murdoch's blessing, you simply can't succeed in politics. You certainly can't become Prime Minister.
Murdoch comission is still going on, its being led by former Labor PM Kevin Rudd and former Liberal PM Malcolm Turnbull, its telling figures from both sides of politics are calling for it.

As Predicted Hit pieces from Murdoch Sky News and his Print Media was result of this, they hate their authority being questioned.

I bet somwhere globally we will probably witness another “News Of The World” type scandal with Murdoch empire soon enough.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
Yes, exactly! It looks like all the people who got kicked out of reddit have found another outlet for their ridiculous theories, racism and digital blackface. One of the posters whose profile shows they've been here a month has 1200 posts! I'm not saying an enthusiastic fan couldn't produce that volume of replies and threads, but almost all their posts were toxic, incendiary messes.
Makes me sad because you're right--even the old trolls were at least funny sometimes. Not this new crop. They're just out to offend and state the darkness in their hearts and using GM to spew hate.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,247 Posts
Veesus is Alt #1 for Wimbledon now after the latest withdrawals. Looks like she'll get in directly and won't need a WC.

I just hope that it aint an Osaka withdrawal that moves her into the main draw. I don't want any "Osaka OUT, Williams IN" headlines. We don't need the general public finding out how much Veesus's ranking has slipped.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
How happy am I that evil racist thread about Taylor's Players Tribune essay was removed? :happy dances:
One of them called the article title "ghetto"...
About a year ago, I'd comfortably left GM behind. Only visited PV and SS. The discussions are utter trash these days. I have most of the racists on ignore, but I'm adding to my list daily.

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
GM is a reflection of the times we are in. But then again maybe it always was? I can't say it wasn't racist back in the late '90s early '00 because it was. But now all the dog whistling about woke culture, BLM, etc is more than I can stomach. We are subjected to those grievances from racists daily these days via the news. I don't need it on a tennis forum. Although I do feel a bit uplifted when I find that one post that is coherent and uses logic and fact. It's quickly buried under a pile of garbage though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
GM is a reflection of the times we are in. But then again maybe it always was? I can't say it wasn't racist back in the late '90s early '00 because it was. But now all the dog whistling about woke culture, BLM, etc is more than I can stomach. We are subjected to those grievances from racists daily these days via the news. I don't need it on a tennis forum. Although I do feel a bit uplifted when I find that one post that is coherent and uses logic and fact. It's quickly buried under a pile of garbage though.
How long has TennisForum been around? I lied about my age during the sign-up to join back in 2007. Then TF did that shift where a lot of people lost their old usernames and stuff. That's how I discovered players forums, so I've been here for about the past 5 years.

Once Queenus retires, I probably won't be on TF anymore because GM is TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Murdoch comission is still going on, its being led by former Labor PM Kevin Rudd and former Liberal PM Malcolm Turnbull, its telling figures from both sides of politics are calling for it.

As Predicted Hit pieces from Murdoch Sky News and his Print Media was result of this, they hate their authority being questioned.

I bet somwhere globally we will probably witness another “News Of The World” type scandal with Murdoch empire soon enough.
Good to hear that it's actually going ahead!
And yeah, it must be bad if you have right-wingers endorsing it, too.
I'm so hoping we follow the precedent you guys have set 🙏

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
It's an instant no from me when I hear anyone use that term "woke" - it's the new "PC (gone mad)", and it's so infuriating that it's been appropriated by white supremacists, and right-wingers.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
I'm side-eyeing my own damn self because one minute I'm rooting for Sakkari in this match, then I'm mad at her for working my nerves by screaming after every damn point, lol. Next, I'm encouraging Krejcikova 🤷 All in all I think I want Pavs to win the whole thing now. :D

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
I'm side-eyeing my own damn self because one minute I'm rooting for Sakkari in this match, then I'm mad at her for working my nerves by screaming after every damn point, lol. Next, I'm encouraging Krejcikova 🤷 All in all I think I want Pavs to win the whole thing now. :D
I really respect Sakkari's game and fitness. She's a real professional, fun to watch, and she's been on the up for a while now. (And I think she worships at the WS altar?) I really do want her to win. If I cared more, I'd be having heart palpitations lol.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
sigh
Well done to Krejcikova, though.
If I'm looking for positives in this, I do like the look of Krejcikova's strokes. Really smooth and languid. She's watchable...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I mean, if any WTA isn’t watching this event and thinking, “if they can reach the final of RG, so can’t I” then I don’t know what to tell them. This is the most random, fluke event on the women’s tour right now.

1941 - 1960 of 2066 Posts