Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I think this is absurd. They say popularity is the factor rather than nationality but in the US doesn't that add up to the same thing where TV is involved. Surely, it doesn't matter when the matches are played either because they will all be covered, if not then it would be wiser to have the Americans playing later so that TV companies will be forced to show more matches. Agassi and Roddicak have been given the advantage, it'd as simple as that, it has happened many times before too. TV rules to much in the US.

Check out the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=afp-tennis_usa_open_bias&prov=afp&type=lgns

· Registered
2,570 Posts
This would have happened with Tim Henman at Wimbledon, French players at Roland Garros, etc. All countries put their star players on the showcourts, and the showcourts usually start play first when coming off weather delays.

Now, I definitely have taken issue with the scheduling and stuff here...I'm just saying it would be the same at the other majors.

· Registered
640 Posts
I'm a patriotic American veteran. But, that YAHOO article was garbage. Perception is reality. Those rain soaked fans wanted tennis, period. The test would have been to actually put the matches on in a fair manner to see what would happen. Those of us deemed hard core fans know who the players are and want to see them regardless of nationality. A prime example was the audience frenzy over the Younes/Rafael match. NY fans who love great tennis would have brought a show court down during that match.

If one spouse cheats on another because the other spouse did it, that's garbage.

If my child thinks it's O.K. to cheat in class because everybody else does it, that's garbage.

If my employee steals from me because he/she saw someone else do it or, worse yet, doesn't tell me about a co-worker's theft, that's garbage.

We (the U.S.A.) run around talking about fair play and bombing other countries into oblivion because women can't get an education and equal rights (yeah, right!) and the USTA demonstrates these traits, how?!?!

I won't stop watching and enjoying tennis because countries are biased toward their players. But, the popularity argument is paper thin from my point of view.

· Registered
10,975 Posts
jmp said:
Linnie, the NY Times has a registration page. Can you post the article? Is it against any copyright rules? Thanks.
regristration is free... dunno if its against copyright rules... dont care

Scheduling Creates Sense of Unfairness at U.S. Open
By HARVEY ARATON

It was midafternoon when Andy Roddick rolled through the players' lounge yesterday, frisky as a puppy, bouncing on his toes and all ready to hit through a 45-minute window of clear afternoon sky.

Roddick's coach, Brad Gilbert, followed him out to a practice court. Fans and admirers stopped to stare and call Roddick's name. While chaos reigned all around him, life was grand for the slammin' Roddick at the United States Open, where he was young, already free of the fourth round and in the side of the draw that would soon be devoid of the Wimbledon champion, Roger Federer.

Federer had four dreary days to think about his 0-4 record against the Argentine David Nalbandian and lost again last night in four passive sets. Roddick, meanwhile, was enjoying a coveted day off in what is now the all-time sweatshop of Opens, an unprecedented four straight days of three-of-five-set matches.

There are two exceptions to the new rain rules that reek of home cooking: Roddick and Andre Agassi, whose 33-year-old baseline powers were surely regenerating on a second day away from the waiting room known as the National Tennis Center.

For everyone else remaining in the men's draw, there were more hours yesterday of being bored, getting stiff and dealing with the consequences. By the time they were all back on the towel-dried courts, Roddick and Agassi were ordering dinner, perhaps having a drink on their benefactors at the United States Tennis Association.

We are long past the shock of seeing a major sports event scheduled to accommodate television, but the Agassi-Roddick contrivances this week may represent a new tennis low for bottom-line chutzpah. Already under siege as a tournament that has been sexed up and dumbed down, the Open now smells of a competition that is also slightly skewed.

"It's frustrating, but it is the same for everybody - at least it is the same for all the non-Americans," the Spaniard Carlos Moya said after losing to Younes el-Aynaoui.

His countryman Juan Carlos Ferrero called the parting of the stadium court sea to allow Roddick and Agassi their early advancement "a remarkable coincidence." Last night, after hours of eyeballing his girlfriend in the players' lounge, Ferrero took out Todd Martin, the other American but, thankfully for the people pulling the strings, not the one whose presence this weekend was part of the wish list.

"This is a wonderful theme to play, a contagious thing one whispers around," said Alan Schwartz, the U.S.T.A. president. "The facts are very simple: Andy and Andre were placed on Arthur Ashe because they are the hottest things we have with the fans. I can understand when people say, 'Well, my goodness, they're the only ones who don't have to play four straight matches.' But if there is a conspiracy, it's our conspiracy to get our most popular players on court to be seen by the greatest amount of fans."

To all foreign whiners, he added: "The minute you become Pat Rafter, you'll make the Ashe court, also."

There you go. Grow a ponytail. Delight the girls. You, too, can get a fair shake.

Schwartz was missing the point, or at least the one being whispered around in several languages in the men's locker room, where Guillermo Coria told Argentine reporters that "everyone was upset."

Every Grand Slam struts its homegrown stars and the favored global champions on show courts, in preferred time slots. It was the extenuating circumstances here that created the enhanced need for fairness, especially at a tournament whose scheduling is always under suspicion because of the featured night matches that often provide relief from the heat of the late New York summer.

You think it was a coincidence that Pete Sampras couldn't win anywhere but here last year? On Tuesday and Wednesday, foreign players were shaking their heads in dismay when match after match, including those in progress, were sidetracked or scuttled while the Open served up its usual late-night celebrity Yank-fest.

They saw how quickly tournament officials snapped to attention when Agassi complained about scheduling after the rains hit on Monday. They watched Roddick fool around with Gilbert on one of the few playable courts Tuesday night, while they waited to resume matches begun earlier in the week. By yesterday, they would not have been shocked if Connors and Krickstein had got on a court before they did.

Conspiracy may be too strong a word, but the scheduling shenanigans were no coincidence, either. "Putting on the men first when there were unfinished matches - I've never heard of that before," said tennis's conscience, Martina Navratilova, eager to remind us that it wasn't just the men who bore the brunt of the Roddick-Agassi exacta.

The way David Stern roots for the Lakers, Open officials can pull for the sexiest matchups, but there is a problem when the perception is created that the playing field isn't level. This year, it's now a fact that it isn't. Depending on the results of the next few days, we may want to rethink where that asterisk planned for the Williams-less women's draw is put.

· Registered
640 Posts
Thanks, decemberlove! Thanks, Linnie! The NY times article says it all. Two salient quotes:

Every Grand Slam struts its homegrown stars and the favored global champions on show courts, in preferred time slots. It was the extenuating circumstances here that created the enhanced need for fairness, especially at a tournament whose scheduling is always under suspicion because of the featured night matches that often provide relief from the heat of the late New York summer.
and

The way David Stern roots for the Lakers, Open officials can pull for the sexiest matchups, but there is a problem when the perception is created that the playing field isn't level. This year, it's now a fact that it isn't. Depending on the results of the next few days, we may want to rethink where that asterisk planned for the Williams-less women's draw is put.

· Registered
3,730 Posts
I am shocked that Harvey Araton is the author of this piece because usually he's right up there with the other overly patriotic writers, saying nothing's too good for the Americans. But he got it right and as far as I know, he's the first one to call the USTA on their shit. So, bravo Araton! I still take offense to your Wimbly remarks, though ;)

· Registered
30,738 Posts
I'm not sure they'd let Henman practice on one of the view playable courts instead of continueing the matches at Wimbledon.

No matter how you look at it, letting Andy Roddick practice instead of starting the Coria-Bjorkman match was plain wrong and unfair!

· Registered
710 Posts
The top female players were given an advantage and the American men were given a bigger advantage. It should motivate Ferrero and the other non-American semifinal.
I think it is obvious that there was some bias

· Registered
22,221 Posts
No bias?

Yeah, right! ;)
Who are they kidding! :devil:

· Banned
3,412 Posts
"It's unfair.It's unfair." :rolleyes: Somebody change the diaper of those ATP players, b/c I can't stand their stink anymore.

You don't see us complaining when Kim gets catwalk (Yes, catwalk) draws at every tournament she plays in...
You don't see us whining when Lleyton gets his match postponed (b/c he has chicken/smallpox?) at the AO but Serena's match won't be postponed even though she hurt her uncle ....
People didn't mind when Justine cheated her way to a FO title (with extra crowd help) ...

:wakes up: :that was a sweet dream:

carry on with the whining then.

Edit: I liked that "serena hurt her uncle" but it should be read as _ankle_

· Registered
18,664 Posts
US is full of more bs than up dickhead's ass.

· Banned
3,412 Posts
Martian KC said:
US is full of more bs than up dickhead's ass.
I have it from a good source that Andy just visited the washroom so the amount of bs in his ass is negligible, so by the same token, the US is not that bs afterall.

:lol: I am cracking myself up here, it doesn't matter if you don't get the joke.

· Registered
18,664 Posts
eta psi said:
I have it from a good source that Andy just visited the washroom so the amount of bs in his ass is negligible, so by the same token, the US is not that bs afterall.

:lol: I am cracking myself up here, it doesn't matter if you don't get the joke.
Someone has to laugh at your jokes. :p

· Registered
17,738 Posts
It has been biased, what does it say when Davenport and Capriati have two days rest before their matches. Its just ridcoulous.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.