Jamie Loeb
Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Emma Navarro
Shelby Rogers
Katrina Scott

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I think Rogers or Baptiste should have gotten the MDWC over Volynets. Other than that, most of them are probably kind of expected, maybe except Di Lorenzo which is a little bit random but understandable considering she's one of the top Americans who missed the MD

Dolehide probably had a case for the MDWC too but maybe a QWC is better for her considering her recent form, and thank god Mattek-Sands didn't get another MDWC. Great to see Duval back, too - feels like ages since I've seen her name in a draw.

And Townsend, Lepchenko and McHale getting snubbed for a MDWC, interesting.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I think Rogers or Baptiste should have gotten the MDWC over Volynets. Other than that, most of them are probably kind of expected, maybe except Di Lorenzo which is a little bit random but understandable considering she's one of the top Americans who missed the MD

Dolehide probably had a case for the MDWC too but maybe a QWC is better for her considering her recent form, and thank god Mattek-Sands didn't get another MDWC. Great to see Duval back, too - feels like ages since I've seen her name in a draw.

They established a playoff for a spot. Volynets won that playoff. Rogers and Baptiste had option to enter playoff and would have gotten spot if they won.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I'm happy to see Volynets gets a MD WC
I was impressed with her defensive skills in NewPort Beach. She also seemed good at turning defense into offense. Pushed Andreescu to a TB there 2-6 6-7(7)
However she's only 13-11 this year. She can do better if she's healthy.

·
Registered
13,710 Posts

Volynets won the 18s National so she had to get a WC.

Rankings-wise, the MDWC choices mostly make sense (one could argue for Townsend over Gauff, but Townsend has received several USO MDWCs already).

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
They established a playoff for a spot. Volynets won that playoff. Rogers and Baptiste had option to enter playoff and would have gotten spot if they won.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
That explains it, I didn't know about that playoff. I guess she deserves her MDWC then!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts

Good that they got snubbed, they had no business getting MDWCs. They only have themselves to blame for not making the cut and being ITF players at this point in their careers.

Rogers on the other hand should have gotten one. She is coming back from a long injury layoff and already played some promising matches. But why doesn't she have PR? Or did she already use it for FO and Wimby?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's better that Shelby is in the qualifying anyway as she's been having very close matches with top 100 players but she hasn't been able to consistently beat them just yet. I think depending on the draw she can make the main draw anyway so wishing her the best of luck. :cheer:

It's funny that the USO has the most players to pick from but the least discretionary MDWCs out there...unlike some other slams shamelessly giving out random WCs to five/six scrubs who have no chance in hell of winning even a set in R1. :eek:

Di Lorenzo is a little ??? compared to a few other potential WC choices but she is just outside the top 120 so it isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good that they got snubbed, they had no business getting MDWCs. They only have themselves to blame for not making the cut and being ITF players at this point in their careers.

Rogers on the other hand should have gotten one. She is coming back from a long injury layoff and already played some promising matches. But why doesn't she have PR? Or did she already use it for FO and Wimby?
She did already use it for those two slams probably expecting a MDWC for the USO. Again, I think this is actually the best long-term option for Shelby as she'll (likely, not guaranteed though) pick up a few wins in the qualifying and gain some points to add to her ranking rather than losing very competitive matches to top 100 players. I mean at some point she's gonna have to drop down and pick up some wins and why not make it through the qualifying and gain some momentum and confidence and match toughness there?

·
Registered
35,719 Posts
I would have swapped out Di Lorenzo for Arconada with the MD wild card choices, but everything else makes sense.

Brantmeier for a qualifying WC is the big :confused: She won three games off the World No. 835 and lost in qualifying at a big junior event this year.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
I am curious to see how Osuigwe performs. She's been under the radar since the Guaff hype train hit at Wimbledon. She's ranked near the top 125 and Is only 17.

·
Registered
16,199 Posts
MDWC

Coco Gauff
Caty McNally
Whitney Osuigwe
Francesca Di Lorenzo
Kristie Ahn (USO WC challenge)
Katie Volynets (18s National Champ)
Diane Parry (FRA reciprocal WC)
Samantha Stosur (AUS reciprocal WC)
Kristie Ahn (USO WC challenge)
Katie Volynets (18s National Champ)
Diane Parry (FRA reciprocal WC)
Samantha Stosur (AUS reciprocal WC)
looks like they had no option here.
I wonder why Aussie didn't give the WC to a younger player. Stosur is not coming back from injury. Her ranking reflects her current level of play.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts