Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
35,331 Posts
Petko! :woohoo: She's so seldom around it can be easy to forget that at her best she's a power-grinding brick wall, no variety, but relentless.

And Kvitty has never liked New York much and is always prone to being an error machine even at the best of times.

·
Registered
20,039 Posts
Pretty expected upset for me, IMO - considering how Petkovic has always been a tough match-up for Kvitova (5-5 H2H coming into this) and how Petra only played 1 match since Wimbledon coming into this.

Petkovic also played one of the best matches of the year, IMO - just counterpunched so well and really took her chances and became aggressive when she needed to. Really forced Petra into a truckload of errors - that MP summed up the match.

Petra made way too many UEs but I don't think she played badly per se - her errors were mostly due to Petkovic's game IMO, but she really should have closed that 2nd set out with all the opportunities she had... was up 3-1 and a few BPs for 4-1, and 4-2 with another few BPs for 5-2... the rust and lack of match play really did her in here. Petra's NYC troubles continue. :hug:

I hope Petkovic can go deep now - really deserves a fairytale run this late in her career.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Great win for Petko!

Thought she might trouble Petra here given the h2h, and also the fact that Kvitova is basically short of match fitness.

Really important win for Andrea, as she has been in mediocre form and is defending a lot of points in the last stages of the season.

·
Registered
35,886 Posts
Petkovic is still good for a random Top 10 upset or two each year, but thrilled she could make it happen at a Slam! Badly needed too since she's lots of points in the fall.

The good news for Petra is that she's almost a guarantee for Singapore and only has about 100 points to defend leading up to it. Assuming she's healthy, she'll be fresh given the lack of tournaments since May and ready to clean up.

Nice hug at the end :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kvitova is not healthy at the moment. Bums and bruises all over the place. She is a much better player than Petko but when you can't play to your abilities anyone can beat you...

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Pure joy and happiness :inlove:

Tournament saved :cheer:

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Nice to see Petko keeping the Adidas contingent alive.

The way 2019 started, I thought Petra was going to have a huge season and potentially snag the #1 ranking. Sadly, things took a turn in the wrong direction. Hopefully she will have a much better fall season and finish the year the way she started.
Who would have thought going into the Australian Open that Ashleigh would have a slam and reach number one, and Petra's season would stall as it has? To be honest, the only way this season can be salvaged for Petra is if she were to win the YEC; anything less, and it would be pretty mediocre when you consider how promisingly she started it off.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts