Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caty was extremely impressive, especially in the first two sets - great all court game with lots of variety, and played with no fear. I loved her drive and charge attempts to the net especially on returning 2nd serves - idolizing Roger really developed her game. I think she has a better game than Gauff, although Coco's peak may be higher.

It is very interesting to see McNally's development and career trajectory going forward - I think she has potential to be a very consistent top 20 player, maybe even within the next 1-2 years. One thing though, I feel like her first serve needs more variety - it became too predictable over the end and Serena just pummeled returns. Her second serve, too - way too many DFs, but I guess it was understandable considering Williams' ferocity on return and considering she was going for them, rather than rolling them in.

Serena didn't play very well in the first set, but was much better in the last two sets, especially in the third. Really had to elevate her game and dig deep to get past a youngster who had really nothing to lose. She really wasn't happy with her level and game today (judging from the post-match interview), but honestly I thought she was pretty good in the latter part of the 2nd and 3rd. Things to improve would be her ROS (though it got better in the 3rd), her side-to-side movement and her forehand - but her serve seemed to be clicking. She was also very complementary of McNally's game in the post-match interview - as she should be.

Caty wasn't even born when Serena won her first GS title :lol:

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Very impressed with the future over all over the past two years.

I don’t think the turning of the guard will be such the let down we thought it may be and certainly a step up from the transitional period that was 2009-2015

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
Good preparation for Muchova and Barty.
Well done to McNally, she came to play.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Caty was extremely impressive, especially in the first two sets - great all court game with lots of variety, and played with no fear. I loved her drive and charge attempts to the net especially on returning 2nd serves - idolizing Roger really developed her game. I think she has a better game than Gauff, although Coco's peak may be higher.

It is very interesting to see McNally's development and career trajectory going forward - I think she has potential to be a very consistent top 20 player, maybe even within the next 1-2 years. One thing though, I feel like her first serve needs more variety - it became too predictable over the end and Serena just pummeled returns. Her second serve, too - way too many DFs, but I guess it was understandable considering Williams' ferocity on return and considering she was going for them, rather than rolling them in.

Serena didn't play very well in the first set, but was much better in the last two sets, especially in the third. Really had to elevate her game and dig deep to get past a youngster who had really nothing to lose. She really wasn't happy with her level and game today (judging from the post-match interview), but honestly I thought she was pretty good in the latter part of the 2nd and 3rd. Things to improve would be her ROS (though it got better in the 3rd), her side-to-side movement and her forehand - but her serve seemed to be clicking. She was also very complementary of McNally's game in the post-match interview - as she should be.

Caty wasn't even born when Serena won her first GS title :lol:
She looked like crap in first two sets but lost her mind in the 3rd. This might be a good thing to get her attention for the rest of this tournament. Sorry for the haters cause once again Serena has pulled their hearts out.

Nighty Night.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Don't know what to make of this, Serena looks as hysterical as she can get. like 4 massive c'mons for holding serve vs McNally in S1 level. Also transition to net/forward was plain bad with hilarious netted sitters.
McNally self distructed badly in that 10 minutes or so in S2 otherwise a very good showing, no wonder she schooled so many higher ranked opponents.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
I don't think she.was complimentary towards Caty. It was a really tough match and both played well yet Serena said she made too many mistakes.
i see you trying to paint a bad picture here, but serena gave her complimentary, there was nothing wrong in what she said. she probably wasnt too satisfied with the way she played aswell.

keep trying tho.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I thought Serena took a while to get going. The kid played out of her mind in the first two sets, but it was mostly a case of Serena not able to read her opponent's shots properly and it took her 2 sets to get in her groove. The kid should have a nice future, just needs to get stronger physically. She has a game that will trouble many, quite similar to Barty's, actually but her slice doesn't bite as much as Ashe. Not sure if Serena is playing well enough to win this tournament yet but she looks awfully tough, but players like the Andrescu or Petra and maybe Naomi can stop her from getting 24.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It would have been interesting to see Caty not imploding in the 3rd set, she probably would have lost anyway but the chance was there and it was not small.

I´m impressed by Caty, Serena didn´t play that bad in the 1st set as some say, she was just put into doubt by McNally coragous moves and reacted accordingly, second set Caty still wanted to win but she started to gift too many serves.

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Experience is a pretty big thing, which Serena has in bucketloads. McNally gave a good effort.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts