Tennis Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Svitolina was solid, and had a good mix of her patience & aggressiveness I thought :)

Osuigwe is a very promising player that regularly uses potent topspin but even when up a break late in the 2nd set I did not feel like she can win this set, let alone this match.

There were people who were really thinking that the upset was in the cards over here :spit: The gap is quite big here.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It seemed to me that Svitolina had more pace on many of her shots than usual. If this is something she's been working on improving - this could be a positive development for her. She very well can be physically capable of injecting more pace into her shots - but perhaps it's the mental aspect of her game that holds her back when she becomes too passive. Afterall she was able to improve her first serve a lot after putting much work into it.

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
Osuigwe has to get stronger. Got to afford some aces. And too many Double Faults. Got to have a 2nd serve too.
Plus she suffer the WTA disease: stuck at the baseline. There so many balls she could have finished at the net of mid-court. But she waited behind the "do-not-cross-me" baseline.
Dad has done his part. Time to seek a real tennis coach to bring other skills in your game, lady. Don't be the next Caroline Garcia.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It seemed to me that Svitolina had more pace on many of her shots than usual. If this is something she's been working on improving - this could be a positive development for her. She very well can be physically capable of injecting more pace into her shots - but perhaps it's the mental aspect of her game that holds her back when she becomes too passive. Afterall she was able to improve her first serve a lot after putting much work into it.
Her serve was better in 2018 though. Now it's just slightly above average imo.

I'd also add that camera placement on the smaller courts, makes you appreciate just how fast the play today is. Outer courts are generally faster as well.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts

Svitolina has such an impressive backhand :hearts:

1:17 What a great and long match point ! :drool: :worship:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts