Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Osuigwe had a chance in the second set, serving for it at 5-4. Svitolina was solid, dictating well at times, but not always convincingly. At times Osuigwe had the best strokes, but she was much less consistent.

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
Good second set.

Whitney needs to get a bigger first serve and return a little better. She's got good strokes off both wings. Shot selection at crucial times needs work, too.

·
Registered
115,518 Posts
Svitolina is a head case at majors. She was tanking games when her opponent got to 40, Svitolina would just pound a forehand way out intentionally
I can see why she underachieves at majors. Little looney

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That final point :eek: Elina :worship:
Whitney :hug: had chances in the second set but too many BH errors into the net

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
even though Elina was gifting points, Osuigwe should still be proud of herself for fighting in that 2nd set.
good experience for her.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
That was a fun second set, I really enjoyed it :lol:

Osuigwe showing why she's highly rated with flashes of brilliance, but also why she's so far away. 8 DFs, her serve is a huge liability, and the mechanics aren't consistent there. Then, there's no clarity in her game. Intermittent bashing and pushing (though she does hit delicious winners). Return could be a lot better.

There's a lot there for her team to be excited about. She's almost Top 100, hope to see her play some WTA events in the fall and maybe leave the US for a while. She doesn't turn 18 until next year so maybe her chances of playing tour events will be limited.

Reactions: Perun and SERVivor

·
Premium Member
44,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grandma in the next round and Yastremska will get nervous vs her more senior fellow countrywoman.

Always gets good early draws in slams, never gets a banana skin.
It's a trauma, right? You really need to consult, that slimy bitterness is serious.

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,248 Posts
The last point almost sums it up. Svitolina's grinding will get her far enough but you can see why her window will shut down faster than Andrew Luck's NFL career ;)

Just too many errors from Osuigwe in the first set and then at crucial times in the second. Still not enough experience to take advantage of Svitolina's struggles in the second set. She could have easily forced the decider.

Reactions: Trey

·
Registered
21,896 Posts
E was definitely on her horse in that 2nd set...

run, run, run

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well...ppl were pretty excited for this match...court was packed up right from the start but the first set was awful...this was such a boring match with literally zero variations. Atleast the MP was good lol. After watching Whitney today, I am wondering if she is allergic to volleying, net approaches, drop shots etc..she wasn't even mixing up her ground strokes...it was so obvious that she was no way going to beat Elina with an approach like this. That weakass serve doesn't help either.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Grandma in the next round and Yastremska will get nervous vs her more senior fellow countrywoman.

Always gets good early draws in slams, never gets a banana skin.
Agree about her having had some dream draws in the last couple of years. Bit this USO Venus and Yastremska are huge banana skins; toughest first week draw of any top 10 player.

Colour me impressed if she beats both. Much more impressed than with the lucky Wimby run.

Atleast the MP was good lol.
That MP lasted more than some of those first set games :hysteric: Great point from both, it wasn't like that long moonball rally between Woz and Kerber. Otherwise not a very good match, hard to asses Svitolina's level yet

·
Premium Member
44,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well...ppl were pretty excited for this match...court was packed up right from the start but the first set was awful...this was such a boring match with literally zero variations. Atleast the MP was good lol. After watching Whitney today, I am wondering if she is allergic to volleying, net approaches, drop shots etc..she wasn't even mixing up her ground strokes...it was so obvious that she was no way going to beat Elina with an approach like this. That weakass serve doesn't help either.
It's funny how Svitolina can be underrated. I don't know well Osuigwe but I guess that if there were expectations, it means she's a big hope of American tennis? So what happened in this match, is that Svitolina played more than decent in the first set (if not her best) and that was enough to force Osuigwe to play her best (or near her best) to have a chance, which she did in the second set.

But yeah, against Svitolina, the level of variety required is Barty's or Andreescu's. Not a routine on the WTA tour.

Or you need bigger power of Osaka's or Key's kind. Or bigger brand of topspin of Stephens kind. Actually Osuigwe rather plays with the topspin of Stephens and Gauff, or tries to find that balance of topspin and power. She could find the edge with her forehand at times. But she had to really go for it and it was hard.

I would stand wrong if Gauff, who uses more a kind of shambolic variety so far (based on her performances on grass), could trouble Svitolina (or Wozniacki for that matter).

Anyway, I didn't find that match boring. The powers in place were perceivable, and the players really hitting that ball. My impression from my eurosport stream anyway.

But were you that objective from the stands? You said Kasatkina's power was underrated (since you were on that court 17), which I was happy to know. ;)

Reactions: Torchmax

·
Premium Member
44,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
40 year old Venus a big test? Really?
She beat Saisai 6-0 6-1.

I mean, I saw bits of the match and the power is still there. And Saisai was unanimously aknowledged as a player in form as of late.

Looking at every seed's first bunch of potential matches, only Halep gets a tougher draw. Not that I ever overstate this stuff anyway.

The Williams sisters have been proving to be there every year over the last 20 years (and proving me wrong many times along the way).

And excuse me but calling a near 40 yo a grandma is immature garbage. :grin2:

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
She beat Saisai 6-0 6-1.

I mean, I saw bits of the match and the power is still there. And Saisai was unanimously aknowledged as a player in form as of late.

Looking at every seed's first bunch of potential matches, only Halep gets a tougher draw. Not that I ever overstate this stuff anyway.

The Williams sisters have been proving to be there every year over the last 20 years (and proving me wrong many times along the way).

And excuse me but calling a near 40 yo a grandma is immature garbage. :grin2:

Well, she has certainly been moving like one this year.

Elina has a clear edge here.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It's funny how Svitolina can be underrated. I don't know well Osuigwe but I guess that if there were expectations, it means she's a big hope of American tennis? So what happened in this match, is that Svitolina played more than decent in the first set (if not her best) and that was enough to force Osuigwe to play her best (or near her best) to have a chance, which she did in the second set.

But yeah, against Svitolina, the level of variety required is Barty's or Andreescu's. Not a routine on the WTA tour.

Or you need bigger power of Osaka's or Key's kind. Or bigger brand of topspin of Stephens kind. Actually Osuigwe rather plays with the topspin of Stephens and Gauff, or tries to find that balance of topspin and power. She could find the edge with her forehand at times. But she had to really go for it and it was hard.

I would stand wrong if Gauff, who uses more a kind of shambolic variety so far (based on her performances on grass), could trouble Svitolina (or Wozniacki for that matter).

Anyway, I didn't find that match boring. The powers in place were perceivable, and the players really hitting that ball. My impression from my eurosport stream anyway.

But were you that objective from the stands? You said Kasatkina's power was underrated (since you were on that court 17), which I was happy to know. ;)
I think you understood me wrong... problem for me wasn't the power of players.. obviously Elina hits harder than Dasha.Even for this match, I never said they weren't hitting well... infact both were hitting at good pace...I clearly mentioned that the reason I found it boring was coz there was literally no variation. Almost every rally followed same pattern. There was no mixing up of pace, Whitney hardly hit any drop shots or volleys or even any net approaches... heck not even many defensive slices from her. It gets boring when every single point is the same baseline grinding with zero variations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts