·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Mental midget.

3rd round points :wavey:

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
Sabalenka was just crushing the ball in that 3rd set...

fuzz was flying everywhere!

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
MP :haha::haha:

gotta say at least Guest didn't make a mockery of herself here, the match was watchable, it would have been much easier hadn't Sabalenka had the slow start and spraying balls all over the place as per usual. Rooting for Guest I considered not watching the third but eventualy gave in to the self-punishment.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sabalenka winning a tight three set match, that's been a rarity this season.

She peaked at the right moments tonight, pretty much unplayable tennis at the back end of sets 2 & 3, scary good.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
3rd set was good quality. Sabalenka looks much fitter than the start of the year, which means we should see her making some good runs on hard courts for the rest of the year.

Some things still need a lot of work. Particularly her footwork & ROS.

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
Story of Vika's post partum career.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,189 Posts
The error on MP. :spit::spit:

Azarenka upped her intensity to close out the 8th game of the final set, then Sabalenka responded by upping her own. Completely peaked in the final 2 games and was unplayable.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Azarenka upped her intensity to close out the 8th game of the final set, then Sabalenka responded by upping her own. Completely peaked in the final 2 games and was unplayable.
Yeah, it actually kind of reminded of Serena/Sharapova and how Sharapova tries to do the same only to cause Serena to stir. Azarenka tried to up the ante and that only made Sabalenka hit the ball even harder and Azarenka couldn't do anything about it.

Commentators were harsh on Azarenka saying the game has passed her by. I disagree, due to the fact she has been competitive with the top players this year. I do question her tactics because Azarenka has enough talent to employ a variety of strategies.

I don't think her game is dated, but I don't think she can exactly hope to win the way she did in 2012/2013 any longer. For one, she herself can't play that way longer than a stretch of a few games at best. She can be a much smarter player tactically and use some of her underrated variety.

Don't like the way she played this match among others.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
At least for tonight Sabalenka showed Azarenka who was the bigger badder Belarussian :armed: :tape:

Vika
she needs that one big win for a mental break-through but it still isn't happening..

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
now that my ears have recovered i can post.

a really enjoyable match to watch.
when you get to countrywomen playing, you can see they dig even deeper than normal.
if aryna can play like that for the rest of the tournament, she can go far.( i picked her to make the semi's)

some excellent rallies, and just a very entertaining match, as a tennis fan, thats what i want, to be entertained, no matter who wins.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Great win, Aryna ! :hearts: :bounce: :yeah:

Tough loss for Azarenka. A shame that one had to lose in R1. Unlucky draw :hug:

Both such big fighters. Respect to both. But Aryna was better in 2nd and 3rd sets. Deserved win.

Aryna played impressive tennis in set 2, especially in the last games ! :drool: :worship:
A lot more consistency. Great points and winners. Better serving. Better movement. Less UEs.

The 3rd set was a battle. But Aryna fought hard, played strong and brave. So proud :D

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/2109.html

8 Aces, 13 DFs

Set 1
Aryna
8 Winners 15 UEs
Azarenka
6 Winners 10 UEs

Set 2
Aryna
18 Winners 14 UEs
Azarenka
5 Winners 11 UEs