Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great match from Petra all things considered, was really hitting the ball well. I thought she served pretty well and coped with the 3rd ball off Allertova's ROS really well because they were mostly deep and to her feet. No signs of rust whatsoever - I feel like playing a Czech opponent really got her into her groove as she is always focused and playing at her best whenever she plays against one of her compatriots.

Denisa played pretty well too, really coped with Petra's weight of shot extremely well and went toe-to-toe on the groundstrokes with her. But her serve let her down at times today, plus she made some routine errors on crucial points. She is a really good ballstriker and it's a shame injuries really stalled her progress last year. Did well to qualify and honestly would have beaten a fair few number of players with the way she played today, just unfortunate with her draw. :hug:

Petra plays Buzarnescu/Petkovic in R2. Hopefully she can get through that one... at this point, I'm just taking her matches one at a time...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Nice to see Petra have a good start on her return back & I hope she will be fine with her health :kiss:
Denisa :hug:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Didn’t get to see this match as not the best time of day for me but just seeing that clip of Petra at the net, how pleasant and gracious she is, good to have her here and playing! Hope to catch a lot more of her over next fortnight ;) I imagine a lot of the usual team Petra aren’t around today :lol:

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
Nice start from Petra. Hopefully her (very) limited schedule recently has helped her to be able to rest, recover and prepare enough to go far here.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Happy to hear she didn't seem hindered by the injury. Hope her body holds up and she can pick a few rounds here. :kiss:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just watched the replay of this match. I was a little worried seeing Petra’s 16/30 w/UEs ratio. I think there has been a marked drop in Petra’s winners with this arm injury and the stats seemed to indicate that too, however it shows how stats do NOT always tell the whole story. Petra was striking it pretty well and did a great job of hitting returns hard and deep time and again. The serve was effective and she was just better in all areas than Allertova. I’m still a bit worried Petra is looking kind of strained in the face - I think this arm is a worry. However, the courts are playing pretty fast, humidity is low, NO ONE is talking about her as a possible champion and she has a winnable section of the draw. Expectations are low even from us fans as you just don’t know what the arm and her lack of match play will mean.

Petkovic often gives Petra trouble so I’m sure she will not take any thing for granted

Allertova is another long and lean, big hitting Czech! She had some good winners herself, but Petra was so aggressive on ROS it got to her a bit. Of course that is a big feature of Petra at her best.

Less screaming winners but a good solid win for Petra. I just hope she’s in no pain and that dratted arm heals up.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Petra :yeah:

Denisa :hug: I like her game. She is talented. I hope she stays healthy now and reaches Top 60 again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts