Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cold War!

Lindsay Davenport vs Anastasia Myskina:

Anastasia will need to rely on patience and getting lots of balls back if she's to stand a chance against Lindsay. I'm expecting Lindsay to overpower Anastasia here.

James Blake vs Marat Safin:

James has the advantage in confidence by being the defending champion, and being in better shape than his Russian rival at the end of this season. Power is not the issue - both are very adept. Marat sometimes doesn't choose his shots well. James is more instinctive and has better shot selection. That should be what sees him through but Marat is a former No. 1 and is capable of playing great, especially if he's been training over the off-season in an effort to make up for lost time in 2003.

USA vs Russia:

The Americans will prove themselves to be a sturdy combo, and the Russians, once again, an unknown entity. I'd expect the Americans to win this one. I wouldn't bet against them at this point. The Russians may fight harder to pick up the tie for placings' sake if this rubber is dead, and the Americans relent slightly. But under the intensity of a live rubber, expect the Russians not to back down. Lindsay can get down on herself easily if the situation goes down to the wire. If not, she'll swing freely and hit the mark. Anastasia will probably be a determined customer to deal with either way.

PREDICTION: Most likely to be "All the way, U-S-A!"

...But GO RUSSIA!!! :D :D :D

Your opinions?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Fantastic said:
James is more instinctive and has better shot selection.
thats a joke, no?

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
USA 2-1
Marat will win his match. Davenport will win hers and the USA the mixed.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
25,925 Posts
I won't be surprised if Russia wins this

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
ghosts said:
I won't be surprised if Russia wins this
Neither would I. I still think Davenport will win her match, but Marat should win his and Russia could take the mixed, but I predicted USA but Russia could just as easily win the mixed if Marat is on fire

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Lets Go Lindsay
You can win for the USA
:worship: :cool:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I predict USA 3-0, but it could be 2-1 depending on whether Marat can get back to form by then, and I'm guessing no judging from the last few matches from last year. I think it'll take him a bit logner to find his best form.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
it depends a lot on Lindsay's conditions.we dont know how she'll be,if she's fully recovered from her surgery or if she's still rusty.if she's on,she'll beat myskina.it depends also on safin's condition,cos if he's on he'll overpower jamie.
if everyone is healthy,usa will win 2-1.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Strangely enough, Myskina and Davenport have met only twice, and both times they met at the same tournament - New Haven. Both times, Lindsay bitch slapped her. Like 6-2 6-1 and 6-2 6-2. In their second meeting, Lindsay had just come back from her knee operation. I'm going to say history will repeat itself, and Lindsay will take it without much trouble.

I think Marat will win over James because even though he has been injured for a while, he is still a much better player.

Doubles should go to USA. Afterall, Lindsay is a former world number one in both singles and doubles. :D ;)

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Experimentee said:
That comment was true, unless you think Marat has great shot selection :rolleyes:
Yes, I'm a Marat fan too but I know his weaknesses.
i know his weaknesses, dont worry.

But tell me how James has a greater shot selection? maybe i define the word different than you or understood something wrong.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
james doesn't have good shot selection. he's trigger happy and goes for the toughest shot possible most of the time, thinking he can make it and then he gets pissed off when he misses

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I think the USA can do it. Depends on how rusty Lindsay is after her injury and op. It will be good for her to see just where her level is before embarking on the WTA tour hopefully in Sydney.

COME ON USA

:D :worship: :cool: :wavey:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
USA will probably win 2-1. I think that Russia can win the doubles rubber. But... I would not be surprised if Russia wins. Let's just hope that during the off-season Marat has practiced enough to take it all the way against Blake, not just winning one set.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
Usa edge it 2-1:)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
maus said:
i know his weaknesses, dont worry.

But tell me how James has a greater shot selection? maybe i define the word different than you or understood something wrong.
I think they both arent good, but Marat is slightly worse than James. I've seen James play some smart tennis sometimes, but Marat seems to go for low percentage stuff a lot.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Experimentee said:
I think they both arent good, but Marat is slightly worse than James. I've seen James play some smart tennis sometimes, but Marat seems to go for low percentage stuff a lot.
oh thanks. so i have to agree with you.

i thought shot selection means the shots you are able to play. And i mean Marat`s shots are way better than James and he can actually play every shot in the book.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts