• Red Indians

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Euro Americans

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Afro Americans

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Jews, Muslims

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Diverse country with no unique identity unlike European, African and Eastern Nations

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so many migrations from different cultures in a relatively much shorter history compared to european, african and eastern nations......fight for identity among sub regions and groups, fight for justice, rise to the peak of global economy, and then fall from there......recovery and ongoing process of further migrations......

so whose country is usa exactly? what is the original identity of the country? who really represent the states?

vote and discuss......

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
This is a really dumb poll. If it had allowed multiple selections maybe, just maybe, it would have had some modicum of sense.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
"Red Indians"? :haha: WTF is a "red Indian"? Someone from India with bodypaint? :lol: Seriously though I didn't know anyone still used that term. Well . at least you didn't but "coloreds" as a choice.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Native Americans are called Red Indians. Atleast that's what I learnt in school. :shrug:

·
Blighted and solo
43,935 Posts
No they're called Native Americans. :p

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
"Diverse country with no unique identity unlike European, African and Eastern Nations"

Are you saying that there aren't any European nations that are diverse?

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
I'm assuming "red indians" means the aboriginal peoples here before the Europeans. The land may have the aboriginal peoples but the country of USA built upon it had no involvement from them. And nowadays they seem almost non-existent in the USA - a footnote.

I believe much of formation of the country of the USA was based on the Scottish Enlightenment.

Jews have since had an impact.

Whose country it is now? Those individuals known as corporations. Even if they did have a slight setback in the most recent election.

:p

·
Registered
17,784 Posts
When someone is labeled Mexican or Japanese, you may have an idea of what this person might look like. No such reference can be made about Americans.

·
*Sesil*
19,770 Posts
They're called Native Americans however Indigenous people of the United States is probably a better term because in theory Andean Indigenous people are also Native American since America is not a country but 2 continents. :shrug:

But whatever they're called it's not red Indian :lol:

·
Registered
6,467 Posts

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Found this:
Red Indian is an offensive term for a native North American. In North America, the term is now considered a racial slur. The use of the term Indian for the natives of the Americas originated with Christopher Columbus, who mistakenly believed that the Antilles were the islands of the Indian Ocean, known to Europeans as the Indies. Though Columbus's mistake was soon recognized, the name stuck, and for centuries the native people of the Americas were called Indians.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Diverse country with no unique identity unlike European, African and Eastern Nations"

Are you saying that there aren't any European nations that are diverse?
no......i meant in general most nations have their own identity......even though there are nations with diversity, they are still identified with their root identity (or race if you want to call it like that)......

muslim population in india and russia are quite significant......but still both the countries are identified by their biggest religion respectively and unique identity......

similarly it would be interesting to know what people believe is the root identity of USA......

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red Indian - a member of the race of people living in America when Europeans arrived. :shrug:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Red+Indian

Our NCERT syllabus is not that bad. :lol:
yes i remember studying it as well......the last time i checked, red indians were present in america even before columbus started his journey towards america......

and what's racist about it? it's a non-offensive term coined by historians to represent a sect of native american people......we are just using it for everyone's clarity......

·
*Sesil*
19,770 Posts
actually, using the term "native american" would be offensive to other ethnicities......they have every right to believe they are native to their land as well......
:lol: No not when they didn't originate there, if you're Irish American or Italian American you are not ethnically native to the USA. If you're anything other than Native American you aren't indigenous to the USA even if your forefathers got off the Mayflower.

1 - 20 of 316 Posts