Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wimbledon Ratings Rise; Best Since 2000

WIMBLEDON, England (July 5) -- Andy Roddick failed to beat Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final, but he probably deserves credit for a big boost in TV ratings.

Federer's 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (3), 6-4 victory over Roddick for a second straight title at the grass-court Grand Slam tournament drew a 3.6 overnight rating Sunday on NBC.
That's 33 percent higher than the 2.7 last year, when Federer beat Mark Philippoussis. It's also the best overnight rating for a Wimbledon men's final since 2000 -- the last time an American was in the match.

That year, Pete Sampras won the last of his seven Wimbledon singles titles, and the overnight rating was 5.0.

Maria Sharapova's 6-1, 6-4 upset of two-time defending champion Serena Williams in the women's final Saturday produced a 3.9 overnight rating. That was down from a 4.0 in 2003, when Williams beat her sister Venus.​

Overnight ratings measure viewership in the country's largest TV markets.

07/05/04 13:46 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iLuVenuSerena said:
it was only a .1 difference
That's ture, but because one one sister played and the opponent was a teenager, I (and I bet some others) was expecting better ratings. I should also point out that the Andy/Roger match was on July 4, while the ladies' final was on the day before and should have done better.

·
Registered
113,574 Posts
I knew no one was watching it. They didn't even have McEnroe doing it.
Ted and Mary stink.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also keep in mind that these are just the biggest TV markets and not a final rating for either final. The actual number could fall or rise for both, but the final number is usually lower as it was for last year's womem's final because if I remember, the overnight number was higher than 4.0.

·
Banned
723 Posts
just shows how few people in america watch tennis:)

·
In my new place!!
23,113 Posts
Also keep in mind that the match comes on around 9am and not many people that arent big tennis fans are going to wake up just to watch the match...

Reactions: tenn_ace

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,321 Posts
Also keep in mind that these are just the overnight numbers and not the full weekly ratings. Overnights are based only on the top like 5 or 6 markets and not the whole country. Of course the numbers will be low in LA since it's so early there.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Mase said:
Also keep in mind that the match comes on around 9am and not many people that arent big tennis fans are going to wake up just to watch the match...
dont forget the west coast that has to wake up at 6 am :eek:

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,893 Posts
also keep in mind certain posters make posts about thread starters to derail threads and move the discussion away from the topic and get people start going :topic:

·
Registered
932 Posts
The overnight ratings are for the top 55 markets which is about 65%.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Rocketta said:
also keep in mind certain posters make posts about thread starters to derail threads and move the discussion away from the topic and get people start going :topic:
:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
The determining factor for American viewing figures has always been the number of American players in the final. Hence the dreadful Roland Garros figures, the slight decline in Wimbledon women's, and the massive increase for the men.

·
Registered
113,574 Posts
Is this the lowest ratings ever for the women's Wimbledon final?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GoDominique said:
Also keep in mind that lizchris is infamous for making up misleading fake thread titles.
What's fake?

Read the article. For al the complaining about Williams sisters finals in the US, they still do better in the ratings.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
goldenlox said:
Is this the lowest ratings ever for the women's Wimbledon final?
No. If they were, then the article would have said so.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool Canuck said:
lol @ the title

worst final of the last years in term of rating is probably in 98 (Novotna vs Tauziat)
I changed the title, so now you have something else to laugh about:lol: :rolleyes:

The fact remains the same; Maria still couldn't bring in the casual fans to make ratings rise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts