Tennis Forum banner

10181 - 10200 of 10420 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Dude, he's single-handedly made the United States the laughing stock of the world.
I've rebutted that particular argument, and several of the others, more than once, but he keeps coming back for more. I'm actually prepared to concede that for his old, white, male supporters (like this poster) Trump's foreign policy may look like gold because it panders completely to their expectations.

What they're totally unaware of, because their ultra-conservative news sources never report it as it would spoil the narrative, is just how much damage Trump has done to the United States' relationships with its former allies. I emphasise "former" because of the way that he has treated so many countries and their leaders, not bothering to hide his disdain and contempt for everything that is not American. He's so worried that other governments are swaying towards support of or from China and Russia, yet can't see that it's his own behaviour that is driving those changes.

Hopefully he will eventually have plenty of time in jail to reflect on what he did wrong. Whether or not that will change his attitudes is, of course, a completely different story.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Premium Member
10,356 Posts
Carter’s administration desperately negotiated with Iran throughout the year to no avail as Iran would endlessly add conditions to ensure the release of the American embassy workers. But then just two hours before Ronald Regan was inaugurated as the 40th Presidents why Iran ended the crisis releasing the hostages without any conditions. The Iranians were cognizant that Regan was no saint and dire consequences would be otherwise in store for them.

Reagan was a saint to Iran. His release of Iranian assets and arming of Iran is no secret. Gary Sick, Barbara Honneger, and many others have written books on the subject and presented enough evidence to prove it.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I remember that Brazilian former president Lula also tried to run for presidency from within prison walls.
He'll pardon himself prior to leaving office with the support of ACB et al in the SC

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reagan was a saint to Iran. His release of Iranian assets and arming of Iran is no secret. Gary Sick, Barbara Honneger, and many others have written books on the subject and presented enough evidence to prove it.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Gary Sick: “Sick's allegations were addressed by both houses of Congress. The United States Senate's November 1992 report concluded that "by any standard, the credible evidence now known falls far short of supporting the allegation of an agreement between the Reagan campaign and Iran to delay the release of the hostages. The House October Surprise Task Force's January 1993 report concluded "there is no credible evidence supporting any attempt by the Reagan presidential campaign—or persons associated with the campaign—to delay the release of the American hostages in Iran". See: Gary Sick - Wikipedia

As for Barbara Honnegger she claims to have discovered information that made her believe that George H. W. Bush and William Casey had conspired to assure that Iran would not free the U.S. hostages until Jimmy Carter had been defeated in the 1980 presidential election, and she alleges that arms sales to Iran were a part of that bargain. But the arms sales to Iran was the centerpiece of the Iran-Contra controversy as opposed to anything to do with the embassy hostage crisis. Anybody can write a book and claim anything. If she had irrefutable proof of this supposed behind the scenes negotiations between Bush and Case with Iran such apparently did not filter down to the Democratic Party and the Dukakis Presidential campaign of 1986 who surely could be counted on to use it in that campaign.

As for the release of Iranian assets by Reagan, it was made in May of 1987 in compliance to a ruling by US-Iran claims tribunal rendered in The Hague which puts paid to the notion of a secret deal between the Reagan campaign deal with Iran while Carter was still President. See: Reagan Agrees to Return to Iran Frozen Assets Worth $454 Million

·
Registered
278 Posts
And I don't give a fuck about foreign policy right now with this country in the condition it's in. Also, I don't see how a race war is gonna help this country unless you believe blacks need to be wiped out.
I am hard put to understand this rebuttal. Could you point out where in my posting I advocate or even predict a race war. And how do you infer that I personally desire blacks to be wiped out?
And even if we were to be, many innocent whites will be affected and this is what your logic hopes for?
Again I repeat that I don’t understand your logic.

Lastly, since you're older than Trump...why don't YOU just enjoy what's left and stop trying to impose on younger generations?
My enjoyment to what’s left of my life, includes inter alia watching women’s tennis and opining on this board including this thread, since I also enjoy debating politics. I feel sorry that you can not tolerate my views, and I’m appalled that you feel I should be quiet because they run counter to your opinions. Do you not subscribe to the right of freedom of speech?

I’m also saddened that you eschew the opinions of those older than you, and I suggest such an attitude will prove to be a detriment to your own life experience. Also bear in mind that my posting was in response to posting #10,162 wherein that poster could not understand why anyone would support Pres Trump. I don’t expect to change minds, only to illustrate that there is another point of view which is contrary to the majority of posters opining in this thread.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Seriously Jay i don't understand how you can be so enamored by this evil clown show when you're fully aware that it's all a big scam. You know there was a cult leader a while back who convinced 900 of his followers to drink poison Kool-Aid... do you think that's entertaining? Because Trump is basically the same shit except instead of 900 people, it's 50 million.

Perhaps it's just a Gen Z thing.
I don't have a personal stake in US Politics. I don't feel connected to the electorate. I've never been to USA, I barely know anyone from there. I haven't been exposed to the average American, thus I'm spared from all the negative personal experiences that would shape my preconceptions about them. Well, actually that might not be completely true, but I've shaped my preconceptions mostly through technology, rather than real life situations, thus on an emotional level it's not comparable. I get much more riled up by ignorant, hateful people from Norway than USA. That's just how it is.

One major factor that could explain why it's difficult to feel empathy for people in USA is the fact that they have freely elected a snake oil salesman who likes to cut corners in life as their president. In addition to that, the fact that USA is and has been the sole global superpower for the past decades makes it difficult to feel sorry for "them" too. USA doesn't have the image of a global villain, but in some parts of the world that might be the case. When you're living in USA and you're an American you might see global domination as a good thing, you might be proud of the US army, proud of the Fed's ability to print dollars. Proud of all the scientific and technological changes that have come from USA and shaped our world. Who knows. Maybe you even think that dropping atomic bombs was a necessary thing to destroy the evil. The point is, that wherever you are from you will always root for your home team and see everything through rose-colored glasses of the home teams perspective. It's possible that for an outsider looking in, USA might not be "the good guy" that saves the day at the end of a movie.

You might think that Trump is a bad human being and I agree with you. However, you might also think that America doesn't deserve a president like him. I'm not so sure about that..

·
Registered
4,351 Posts

·
Registered
19,496 Posts
^ Her face looks like Jennifer Aniston

Reactions: Shifty-Eyed Dog

·
Banned
295 Posts
I am hard put to understand this rebuttal. Could you point out where in my posting I advocate or even predict a race war. And how do you infer that I personally desire blacks to be wiped out?

Again I repeat that I don’t understand your logic.

My enjoyment to what’s left of my life, includes inter alia watching women’s tennis and opining on this board including this thread, since I also enjoy debating politics. I feel sorry that you can not tolerate my views, and I’m appalled that you feel I should be quiet because they run counter to your opinions. Do you not subscribe to the right of freedom of speech?

I’m also saddened that you eschew the opinions of those older than you, and I suggest such an attitude will prove to be a detriment to your own life experience. Also bear in mind that my posting was in response to posting #10,162 wherein that poster could not understand why anyone would support Pres Trump. I don’t expect to change minds, only to illustrate that there is another point of view which is contrary to the majority of posters opining in this thread.
Are you aware of the motives of most Trump supporters and the groups that includes?
Are you aware of the changes in police departments in the last 30 years?
Have you taken a look around you this year at all?

If you wanna feign ignorance now, fine. And I don't get how i'm intolerant since that was like my first post to you in the years we both been here.

2nd post at most.

Oh, and nice word inter alia...first time I ever saw it

Maybe in the few years I took latin, but I don't remember any of that shit :)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I bet you can't tell the difference between raisin bran and dog shit either.
That`s what people might have in their head to not notice that the poor and puffed-up show they face these days has hardly anything to do with their interests or essential tasks of policy.

Just take a sober look at American society and its development.
They have a massive and increasing problem with racism, millions of people are living on the streets or in jail, education and health care are not a matter of course but a privilege, etc.
Has anything of that changed for instance during the eight years when Obama was president ? From what I can see it probably got even worse as a whole during that time. Allowing the thought that these issues seem to have not much to do with the political party or personality in power.
After all these things seems not to really matter American medias and public. What kind of stands in a line with the inability to realize that herein you can also find the reason why somebody like Trump was in the position to become president in the first place.
And how does the political scenery of the US looks like ?
There`s a bunch of people on the right opposing a bunch of centrists leading a personalized and pretty much content-free pseudo-debate with the friendly help of the medias which mainly consists in insulting each other .
Especially the latter group, to whom you seem to belong to, appears to feel themselves somehow intellectually/ morally superior to the first group - what itself exposes them to be nothing more but a part/symptom of the problem.
Another close to the half of the population is either not interested in anything or has turned its back on that shit.

When a society has arrived at such a state it will be very hard to get out of it. Mainly because of the state itself is the evil not singular groups or people. What actually meant back to the basics.
Dealing adequately for instance with the fact that (the line between) good and bad is exclusively not somewhere outside but in all of us is where it all starts. How we develop as individuals and how we coexist as a society.
Or since Jay Six once mentioned it, "objectivity" (in context with human coexistence and anywhere else) first of all means to always and equally have in mind subject and object of/in a consideration. Otherwise people are pretty much doomed to run after illusions their whole life.
However, since there is rarely a way back in such processes and nothing is created out of nothing the path of your country is obvious to me. Neither Biden nor Trump are options for a better future of your country. Such figures are nothing more but symptoms and symbols of stagnation and its downfall.

·
Premium Member
10,356 Posts
Sick's allegations were addressed by both houses of Congress. The United States Senate's November 1992 report concluded that "by any standard, the credible evidence now known falls far short of supporting the allegation of an agreement between the Reagan campaign and Iran to delay the release of the hostages.

Very convenient of Congress to do so, especially in view of Republican schemes to delete or discard incriminating evidence. The hostages release immediately after Reagan got into office was mere "coincidence" or so they say. But many are not convinced because more evidence seems to be popping up:

A batch of quietly released documents confirms what many have long suspected: Ronald Reagan’s 1980 presidential campaign worked behind the scenes to delay the release of US hostages in Iran, for the benefit of Reagan’s election campaign. It raises the question: When was the last time a Republican won a presidential election without the help of dirty tricks?

Robert Parry’s “Trick or Treason” (1993), made strong circumstantial arguments that something had happened, though neither were able to prove that Casey had flown to Madrid.
But just a few years ago, Parry discovered a damning memo in the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library. Dated Nov. 4, 1991, the memo was written by President Bush’s deputy counsel, Paul Beach, and it described the State Department’s efforts to collect documents in response to congressional subpoenas for “material potentially relevant to the October Surprise allegations.” Beach then specifically mentions “a cable from the Madrid embassy indicating that Bill Casey was in town, for purposes unknown.”

So yes, the evidence is largely circumstantial. Given the Republican tendency to engage in duplicitous conduct and the "mere coincidence" that the hostages were relased within hours of Reagan's ascendancy, it comes as no surprise as to why more than a few eyebrows have been raised over the years.

10181 - 10200 of 10420 Posts