Tennis Forum banner

7961 - 7980 of 8047 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Joe Biden's Basement Diary - Day 124:

Needed some exercise so took my granddaughters tortoise for a walk this morning. Man, can that guy go. Eventually manged to get the dial up connected to see what was happening in the world.Campaign seems to be going well.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
But I mean earlier this month Trump was suggesting inviting the Russia to the next meeting of the G7 - which even the normally Trump tolerant Boris publicly came out against. Of all the strange things about the Trump Presidency (and there are a few) his desire to cuddle up with Vlad is possibly the most inexplicable.
Not least because there are literally zero votes in it...

Not true that there are zero votes in it... Russia is pretty popular among white supremacists in the US, and also quite a few of the evangelical Christian cults are Russophiles and Putin worshippers. The Putin regime has promoted itself to the Republican Party as Russia being a nation of fellow white Christians that shares Republican values... not all Republicans have bought into that, but enough of them have to make it electorally valuable for Trump. Kissing Putin's ass is a play to Trump's base, and the base is really all Trump cares about anyway... everybody else gets dragged along whether they like it or not. So it makes sense. Or at least it did for a while.

·
Registered
39,878 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
A discussion among the 2017 Nobel prize winners. From 35:20, they're talking about the importance of evidence-based discourse in our society today. I think this belongs in the US political thread because I sense some stabs at the current administration. Many of these winners are Americans themselves, so there are obviously some very smart ones too (as I've learned over the years here on TF). Here are some quotes from some of the US participants (plus Henderson, Scottish):

Jeffrey Hall (Physiology/Medicine): "The proper American in the US is not only ignorant but is actively belligerently pugnaciously ignorant."

Michael Rosbash (Physiology/Medicine): "A lot of this has to do with the educational landscape. We've seen circumstances - most starkly in the US - but in Western Europe as well, where politicians, ambitious people, take advantage of the situation to exploit for their own benefit of gain of power. It's not something that's unprecedented. It happened in the 20th century to disastrous ends, so it's a very worrisome concept."

Richard Thaler (Economics): "We have a fact free administration in the US... I would settle for some people who were collecting facts."

Richard Henderson (Chemistry): "To differentiate between rational and irrational, fact and fiction, better education, I think, is the answer. Lots of people want better eduction for their children. Some people take them out of school to give them a better eduction at home, some people take them out of school to avoid it!"

Jeffrey Hall: Exactly. To indoctrinate!

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,180 Posts
Disapproval for Trump is now at 56% at Real Clear Politics a site which analyses and combines all polls. That 56% disapproval for Trump is the highest it has been since January 2018. Overall the difference between Trump's approval rating and his disapproval rating now stands at -14.8%. To put that in perspective, just three months ago, on March 27th Trump experienced his best ever job approval rating of -2.0%. So basically Trump has gone from a -2.0% rating to a -14.8% rating in just three months. No one knows what the future holds and these ratings can get better or they can get even worse. But for the present there is no question...Trump is in freefall.

Real Clear Politics - President Trump Job Approval Polling Data

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
Just as so much in Trumps cosmos consists of alternative facts

7961 - 7980 of 8047 Posts