Tennis Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6243 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Democrats Are Handing Donald Trump The Keys To The Country | huffpost
Final text of the bill has not been released [it now is], but according to a legislative draft, the new law would establish a $4.5 trillion corporate bailout fund overseen by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, with few substantive constraints. Some outlets are reporting this as a $500 billion fund, but $425 billion of that can be leveraged 10 times over by the Federal Reserve, resulting in a multi-trillion-dollar program.
...The legislation provides nothing of substance to address the coronavirus pandemic itself... It mobilizes no new resources, organizes no production, improves no medical supply delivery and trains no new nurses. Instead, it moves an enormous amount of money around and puts the Trump administration in charge of its movement.
...The oversight terms that Democrats secured are purely cosmetic, replicating the toothless provisions of the 2008 bank bailout that enabled watchdogs to report abuse but not actually prevent or rectify it.
“We will be lucky if most small businesses see any assistance in less than two months,” law professors Adam Levitin and Satyam Khanna wrote in a New York Times op-ed on Tuesday. “That is time they — and their employees — do not have.” As with the bank bailouts, big companies will grow larger and more profitable and demand further control over the way what we still call a democracy is organized.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The $1,200 coronavirus checks, explained | Vox
But it’s important to note that a large minority of Americans don’t file taxes. The Tax Policy Center estimates that in 2019, about 43.8 percent of American “tax units” owed zero or negative income taxes. Most of those Americans will still file taxes to get refundable credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit or to retrieve taxes withheld by their employer that they don’t actually owe. But millions of Americans — 12 percent is a decent estimate — will not file taxes, either because there’s no reason to or because they’re among the millions eligible for the EITC who don’t receive it.
The Senate bill as written would require these people to file 2019 returns to get their coronavirus checks. That’s a potentially significant burden, especially at a time when the IRS’s volunteer tax prep centers for low-income people are largely shut down due to social distancing (I should know — I’ve been volunteering this tax season and haven’t gone in since March 14).
Senate Democrats included among their demands a request that the bill be amended to allow cash to go more directly to these people... allowing the benefits to be sent through EBT cards to people benefiting from welfare or food stamps, or by allowing it to be added the Supplemental Security Income checks for elderly or disabled poor people, or by allowing states to send the rebates to households whose information they have on file... These changes are unlikely to make it in the final bill, as the House is expected to pass the Senate language by a wide margin.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The article you quote from the New York Times states that the Dems won major concessions from the Republicans to add strict oversight over the $500 billion corporate aid fund, including installing an inspector general and a panel appointed by Congress to monitor it. Presumably this suggests that the Dems were negotiating in good faith and are justified in delaying implementing the aid toute suite. Of course the article ignores the whole bunch of pork and a full wish list package the Dems have been attempting to include in the bill which wrangling has lead to prolonging the negotiations when speed is of essence in trying to alleviate the suffering America is under because of the corona virus pandemic.

I am dubious at the efficaciousness of having govt oversight of the corporate relief proposed by this aid package. This presupposes that the corporations upon receiving the aid will not put the money to good use and as result will thwart the aim and purpose of the legislation. On the other hand it presupposes that the govt i.e. the civil service, the govt bureaucracy if you will, has no axe to grind and thus will hold the corporations’ feet to the fire for the good of the country.

Unfortunately in practical terms the exact opposite is the reality, and you can sense the veracity of this assertion logically. BTW when describing employees of the private sector vis à vis govt employees I’m not impugning any evil intent, I’m assuming as a given that I’m referring to only conscientious workers.

If one works in the private sector, one is absolutely cognizant of this empirical fact: if you’re not a productive worker aside from the fact you could be fired as a consequence, but that is even moot because you might lose your job anyway, if you and your co-workers are not competent and thus cause the business to fail as a result. And even if you are competent you still might lose your job if the company you work for folds because it has lost its customers for one reason or another having nothing to do with you. Given such existence of reality it follows that the private sector employee has the utmost incentive to work diligently to the best of his/her ability.

It’s a different kettle of fish in the case of civil servants, of whom it might be said are not civil nor serve anyone. That BTW is an inside joke imparted to me by an actual govt worker. The absolute undeniably fact is that the civil servant’s employer can not go out of business. When you add the presence of public service unions that defend their members, you have the situation whereby it is impossible to fire a civil servant for incompetency. This security of employment invites complacency in performing one’s duties. More importantly there is no sense of satisfaction or even tangible evidence for the civil servant to hang his/her hat on knowing that he/she has achieved a worthwhile result in his/her employment.

In the private sector, if one engineers a gigantic sale for one’s company, which aside from the commission earned for the individual, makes a great profit for the business, there is an obvious instant visible corroboration of success. For the civil servant there is no such recognition never mind even awareness that there has been a remarkable achievement accomplished that is worthy of a reward for a job well done.

As an example suppose one is a fisheries officer with the duty to ensure that regulations for the quotas limiting the catching of fish are strictly adhered to. It can be said that success is achieved if the said fisheries officer does his/her job conscientiously and successfully, such that the fish particularly subject to inspection, is still available to be caught and eaten let’s say two hundred years from now. Obviously in such scenario the fisheries officers who had an impact in achieving that desirable outcome would have died long before his/her truly effective contributions could be acknowledged or recognized.

I say all this to suggest that the Dems insistence of govt oversight of the funds to be disbursed to the corporations are not helpful. Actually I believe the reverse to be true in that govt oversight is a useless hindrance to ameliorate the current suffering that lots of our fellow Americans including my son are experiencing. Each corporation that will receive the aid is in a better position to determine how to spend the monies effectively for it to survive than any govt bureaucrat who has no clue as to what is needed for the business to succeed.

I see that the bill has now passed the Senate unanimously and I bet not one concession that the Dems have succeeded in extracting from the Republicans has made the bill any better.
Damn......there's no hope of redemption for this one.:oops: As always, it's particularly hard responding to the yuuuge amount of drivel in his posts because brevity and conciseness aren't in his vocabulary, so ends up rambling on and on and going off on the most irrelevant tangents and by the time you're halfway through the stuff, you've given up trying to create any substantive response.
So I'll just ignore responding to the ramblings and focus on the "win" of your orange god. Democrats just gave him a $2 trillion stimulus with a 96-0 vote. This may have gotten him re-elected. Unlike that time in February 2009 under Obama when the US economy was bleeding half-a-million jobs monthly from the Bush recession and Republicans did everything in their power to obstruct a stimulus bill, with Democrats just about managing to eke out 60 votes. It's a great thing to have Democrats in opposition. Far less intransigent and far more willing to compromise, hey've never quite mastered the art of wielding and politicizing disasters like Republicans.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
Canadians are leaving Florida en masse:

Canadians begin exodus home from Southwest Florida fearing coronavirus insurance issues

Many Canadians are making an early exodus from Southwest Florida because of insurance concerns related to the coronavirus global pandemic.

With the U.S. announcing Wednesday that the Canadian border would be shutting down for nonessential travel and flights beginning to dwindle, Canadians who usually winter in the area through Easter have changed those plans.

There were five incoming and five outgoing flights to and from Toronto at Southwest Florida International Airport on Wednesday — four each way on Air Canada and one each way on WestJet.

WestJet, which had planned on canceling flights after Saturday, has instead extended flights through Wednesday night, March 25.

Florida coronavirus updates: Confirmed cases skyrocket to 314; South Florida continues to be epicenter

Social distancing matters. Here is how to do it and how it can help curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
Air Canada has yet to announce any flight cancellations.

Canadians comprise about 4.4% of annual visitors to Lee County, the highest of any other country, with 216,762 people visiting in 2019, according to Lee County Visitor and Convention Bureau statistics.

There were about 36,951 Canadian visitors to Collier County in 2018, the most recent statistics reported by Paradise Coast, Collier’s visitor and convention bureau.

For Canadians who haven’t already returned north, most are doing so right now and trying to get back by the end of the day Monday, which is when most out-of-the-country health insurance policies will no longer cover coronavirus issues.

Coronavirus Fort Myers: Here's what is closed or has changed amid COVID-19 concerns

more .....

Proves all protestations from Tea Bagging delusional right wingers, the USA needs nationwide comprehensive health care, NOW.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,193 Posts
Canadians are leaving Florida en masse:

Canadians begin exodus home from Southwest Florida fearing coronavirus insurance issues

Many Canadians are making an early exodus from Southwest Florida because of insurance concerns related to the coronavirus global pandemic.

With the U.S. announcing Wednesday that the Canadian border would be shutting down for nonessential travel and flights beginning to dwindle, Canadians who usually winter in the area through Easter have changed those plans.

There were five incoming and five outgoing flights to and from Toronto at Southwest Florida International Airport on Wednesday — four each way on Air Canada and one each way on WestJet.

WestJet, which had planned on canceling flights after Saturday, has instead extended flights through Wednesday night, March 25.

Florida coronavirus updates: Confirmed cases skyrocket to 314; South Florida continues to be epicenter

Social distancing matters. Here is how to do it and how it can help curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
Air Canada has yet to announce any flight cancellations.

Canadians comprise about 4.4% of annual visitors to Lee County, the highest of any other country, with 216,762 people visiting in 2019, according to Lee County Visitor and Convention Bureau statistics.

There were about 36,951 Canadian visitors to Collier County in 2018, the most recent statistics reported by Paradise Coast, Collier’s visitor and convention bureau.

For Canadians who haven’t already returned north, most are doing so right now and trying to get back by the end of the day Monday, which is when most out-of-the-country health insurance policies will no longer cover coronavirus issues.

Coronavirus Fort Myers: Here's what is closed or has changed amid COVID-19 concerns

more .....

Proves all protestations from Tea Bagging delusional right wingers, the USA needs nationwide comprehensive health care, NOW.
This! I live in SW Florida and let me tell you about the Canadians. Some are good drivers and some I want to knock off their blocks . Anyway, the majority seem to be from Quebec.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
Religious Ignorance Kills: Landon Spradlin, a Virginia pastor who claimed the “mass hysteria” around the coronavirus pandemic was part of a media plot against Trump, has died from the virus.

ABC News reports:

Landon Spradlin’s family never got to say goodbye.
The 66-year-old father and husband from Virginia died due to complications from COVID-19 on Wednesday morning in North Carolina.
While on the way home from a mission trip, Spradlin collapsed and was taken to a hospital in Concord, North Carolina. He was eventually put on a ventilator as his condition worsened.
According to reports, Spradlin, a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist,” fell ill while on a missionary trip to New Orleans with his wife.

Friendly Atheist reports Spaldrin went to New Orleans to “wash it from its Sin and debauchery.”

You have to wonder - when will they ever learn?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you Trump haters even have a soul? That of course is a metaphysical question. I get that you hate Pres Trump and I even concede you are able to lists lots of examples to justify your disdain. But for God’s sakes he is the President of the United States. And at this moment we are facing an unprecedented national and for that matter an international crisis the like of which neither I nor anyone else has experienced in our collective lifetime. I think you probably have to go back to the Great Depression of the 1930s to cite a similar national crisis. But even in that situation there would be a portion of the population that had the wherewithal financially to be unaffected by that economic crisis.

In this crisis everybody can contact this virus. True if you’re younger say under 50 years of age you are likely to recover if you contract the decease and you are unlikely to die. However no matter the age there is no identifiable group that is otherwise immune. Celebrities are not immune and presumably neither are the homeless.

In crises similarly to what we are experiencing today, Americans traditionally suspend their political ideological differences and pitch in to overcome the debilitating consequences of the problem of the crisis. There certainly exists examples of that pattern for this crisis . Just as one example here in Michigan Ford Motor Company and GM have suspended making cars and have retooled to produce ventilators. There are of course countless other like examples where corporations and individuals have stepped up to the plate to provide assistance to combat and defeat this pandemic.

So to you Trump haters what have you to offer, and or contribute to resolving the problem America is facing now? All you do is constantly continue the drumbeat of trashing and disparaging the President in everything he says or does. The pages of this thread is replete with such negativity. Not very helpful to say the least. I actually do not hold any real animus towards anti Trump posters herein, as I realize you take your cues from the Dems and their faithful lackeys in the MSM. For that matter I’m unperturbed by the antics of the Dems since as an opposition party what else does one expect? Besides I believe they are doomed to remain a minority party (pun intended BTW, assuming you recognize the pun) if they continue to espouse policies and issues that are inimical to mainstream American thought and ideals. My disdain and greatest ire and disappointment is reserved for the MSM.

IMHO the MSM has abrogated their reputation and more importantly their credibility. Because of that, they do a great disservice to the country. The best example to date of what I mean is evidenced by the daily press conferences to update the crisis situation. In these press briefings there are imparted lots of information about the disease and its consequences plus the efforts by the federal govt to combat the effects of disease. When the conferences are opened to field questions from the reporters, you can easily discern that the MSM reporters are not at all interested in exploring the logistics facing the govt in protecting the populace from this disease. Instead their questions are designed to embarrass the President by hook or crook.

As I’ve indicated in another posting each such conference will feature a reporter questioning the Pres as to the wisdom of his labeling the disease as the Chinese virus. The implication of the question is that by the President referring to the illness as such may or even has generated anti Asian protests and confrontations. I have said before that Trump hatred robs one of intellectual discernment. There is not a better evidence of the veracity of such assertion than this example. Considering that this disease is spread by human to human contact, the person who may become enraged by the supposed Asian American culpability of the instigation of the disease, and wish to do harm against the said Asian American, might be wise enough to refrain from doing so.

In other words I think the dimmest amongst us would not follow the advice of the mayor of Florence, Italy to hug a Chinese person to ensure to that Chinese person that he/she is not responsible for the disease. Obviously it did not occur to the mayor of Florence that the hugging of any person, Chinese or otherwise, makes it more likely to contract the virus. Well the relentless inconsequential demands by the MSM reporters have prevailed. In the latest virus update briefing (03/26/20) Pres Trump has caved in and declared that henceforth he will refrain from referring the disease as the Chinese virus. A decisive victory for the MSM indeed no doubt instrumental to ameliorate the horrendous effects of this disease.

Getting back to the question of soul. Do you hate Pres Trump so much that you can not concede even the notion that he is trying his level best to fight the disease? No you can’t say that. Instead you’re content to flood these pages with every picayune detail of what the President does or says to which you can sneer at.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

The reason for Trump's rise in polls is not that his COVID response has been impressive or even competent, it's that the quarantining and economic shutdown are unpopular... the Democrats urgently need to avoid becoming identified with these restrictive measures, even though one of the biggest reasons for the panic in the first place is that everybody fears a crisis way more with an orange ass-clown in charge, instead of a real president.

It's fortunate for the Dems that the COVID didn't happen closer to the election, because if it were held today we would lose.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The approval ratings of George W Bush hit 92% at one point after 911. Compared to that even Trump might agree 49% isn't a huge number.

Trump's Approval ratings have actually been remarkably steady no matter what he does - just another example of how entrenched the US has become I suppose.
Which is good for Trump in away - I can't see him ending up in the mid 20's as happened to GW. But it also means there is likely a limit on how much they can improve.

But there is nearly always a bounce for most leaders in a crisis - hell even Boris.:p Don't think we can read too much into it at this point given the election is a few months away yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your hero Krystal Ball is going to be cleaning the toilets at the Russian embassy for her rubles soon enough.
You guys are like Trumpians and worse. Peddling conspiracy theories and living in your ulterior universe.

The Russia thing against anyone who dares to mention your sacred cows is the equivalent of Global Warming being a Chinese Hoax.

6021 - 6040 of 6243 Posts