Tennis Forum banner

6001 - 6020 of 6205 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
In the daily news conferences in updating the corona virus crisis, Pres Trump is routinely asked once or twice by MSM reporters why does he label the virus as the Chinese virus. The implication is that its racist to do so and even more sinister it may lead to nasty anti Asian American protests and confrontations. As an aside considering that this virus is highly contagious and is spread by human to human contact it would be foolhardy for those prone to violence to confront the said Asian Americans, actually anyone for that matter.

So tell me how many deaths from the virus would have been averted had Pres Trump refrained from labeling this pandemic as the Chinese virus? Huh? Yeah exactly. There is a good reason for the President to insist on identifying the virus as such aside from the fact the virus did indeed originate in China. By continually calling this disease the Chinese virus it reminds Americans and the rest of the world for that matter of the inhumane and criminal acts by the Chinese Communist Party aka the Chinese government in dealing with the outbreak of this virus. In case you’re unaware, China kept the world in the dark for at least three weeks at time of the outbreak of this decease and even refused medical assistance from outside China. All medical experts aver that had China acted properly this virus could have been contained better and many lives could have been saved.

It is obvious the Chicoms don’t care a fig for the health safety of its own citizens never mind the rest of the world. It is more concerned about saying face than saving people. If you have no idea what I’m talking about then you have buried your head in the sand. You probably have already if you indeed take offence whenever Pres Trump refers to this disease as the Chinese virus. As I’ve said before your hatred for Pres Trump robs you of intellectual discernment.
It's the politics of distraction. Want to distract from your administrations failings in this crisis? Highlight the failings of somebody else. It's not exactly a new political device but to be fair to Donald it's something he excels at.

I have lived in Northern Ireland for over forty years.So I am fully aware idiots don't need much encouragement to be idiots. But at the same time it is best not to encourage them. Words matter. Language matters. Especially in times of tension. If a minority community is feeling vulnerable the job of politicians - indeed surely any human being - should be to try and reduce that vulnerability not increase it.

Indeed as politics in the US increasingly often looks like politics in Northern Ireland for the last forty odd years (this is not a compliment btw) I'm also fully aware of the concept that if something winds up the "other side" it must be by default a "good thing".And "Chinese virus" certainly qualifies. But it isn't necessarily true.Back in the day around half of Asian Americans voted for Ronnie Reagan.At the last mid terms that figure for the GOP was thought to be around 23%. This is the fastest growing electoral demographic in the United States of America.

As you correctly point out a virus doesn't care what it's called.It couldn't give a monkeys about the politics of distraction or the latest episode in America's fairly tedious Culture Wars.The only thing that will stop it is science (which I imagine must be a fairly uncomfortable thought for some in power in the US these days). And Donald doesn't really do strategy he operates on instinct - which to be fair has worked out very well for him. He doesn't care about the future of the GOP or of American conservatism - in fact I would go as far to say that anyone who believes he cares about much beyond Trump, well, would be someone with their head buried in the sand.
But I posted earlier in this thread about Bernie that principles without power were fairly pointless. The GOP lost the African American vote with its (still ongoing) attempts to undermine the Civil Rights Acts. It has been doing some remarkable work in recent years to lose the Hispanic American vote. And now it seems to be ignoring the fears of Asian American voters. It will soon just be left with voters who look like Donald J Trump (except maybe slightly less orange).LBJ once said the most important skill in politics is being able to count.I imagine he would get a hell of a lot of enjoyment from the GOP's current course.....

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
As I've mentioned in another posting I have an adult son married with one child, i.e. my granddaughter. He lives from paycheck to paycheck and he and his wife have both been laid off from their employment. They are in dire straits. Today I gave them $40, which I can ill afford, (I'm not in the best of financial position either) to buy food to last them until Friday when they get their last paycheck from their companies. Pres Trump and the Republican Party recognize the plight of my son and tens of thousands like him as well as the problem of the economy that this pandemic crisis has wrought. So they have proposed a massive stimulus relief package wherein my son would get $3000 within three weeks, a truly life saver.

As of this writing the stimulus bill has finally passed but not until several days squabbling in the Senate wherein the Republicans had to have no doubt caved in on some non essential demands. What they caved in on, I don’t know at the time of this writing, but I do know that some of the Dems demands would be that big corporations who received monies would have to submit proof that there work force was diverse.

If you think the Dems care for the little guy like my son then you are a fool as in Pres Lincoln’s famous quote: ‘you can fool some of the people all the time’ .
I have found a lot of your questions in this article: Democrats Near Deal With White House on Stimulus Package

It seems like what the Dems intended with further negotations was to make sure your taxpayers money would be well spent on the stimulus package and that unemployed people like your son would also be supported after spending that first and only amount they would get from the Republicans.

Dem demands:

- Better oversight on the funds so your taxpayers money wouldn't be taken in large sums by fraudulent companies.

A crucial breakthrough came when Democrats won concessions from the Trump administration to add strict oversight over the $500 billion corporate aid fund, including installing an inspector general and a panel appointed by Congress to monitor it. The vast majority of the fund would go to the Federal Reserve to cover loans.
Democrats had balked at a version of the stimulus measure drafted by Republicans that they were concerned would give Mr. Mnuchin too much latitude in deciding which companies could receive the funds, and allow him to delay revealing the recipients until six months after the loans were disbursed. They said it would have created a secretive government slush fund controlled by the president and his top advisers, rather than a closely monitored program accountable to taxpayers.
- Food and pension assistance

Ms. Pelosi, of California, told Democrats on a private conference call that two remaining issues included a Democratic push to expand food assistance benefits and a disagreement over how much money should be allocated for pensions.
- Hospital assistance

But the parties were whittling down remaining disputes, including how much funding to distribute to hospitals across the country. Both Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Schumer, in a separate call with Senate Democrats, said they had secured $130 billion for hospitals, $55 billion more than originally provided, people familiar with the calls said, as well as $150 billion for state and local governments.
- Extended unemployment benefits (for people like your son):

The measure would also provide $1,200 direct payments to taxpayers, substantially increase jobless benefits and send money to states struggling to weather a huge public health and economic disaster. Mr. Schumer said Republicans had agreed to extend unemployment insurance for an additional month at Democrats’ insistence, for a total of four months. The two sides had previously agreed to expand the program considerably, to include self-employed and part-time workers who traditionally have not been eligible, and to cover 100 percent of wages to the average worker.

Under the newly negotiated terms, those already on unemployment before the crisis would also see their benefits extended 13 weeks beyond when they are currently set to run out, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the talks.

So, from my perspective the Republicans tried to rush a huge pile of money through Senate under the pretext of helping the little guy fast but without actually allocating an extensive enough amount to help that little guy for an extended time period. In the meantime companies could get copious amounts of money, without any accountability, from the Trump administration.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Trump's approval rating on the COVID has risen to an incredible 60 percent.

What this shows is that the lock-down restrictions are a political loser, and the Dems need to change their strategy, fast. Biden knows this and that's why he's keeping his mouth shut... we can't let the Warren and Sanders supporters who just lost the primary, define the Democratic COVID response. The COVID must not be allowed to become the baboon's reelection ticket.

I find it interesting that when President Obama gave his stimulus package, he was immediately criticized by the right wing for increasing the nation's debt that would bring up a tremendous bill for the next generation. Trump has increased the debt even more while reducing taxes for the rich and increasing future taxes for the poor. Yet, there has not been so much as one word of criticism from anyone because of it - this while Trump blamed Obama for the poor response to the crisis even though the latter had nothing to do with that response. Small wonder why his ratings go up as no one dares to apply the same standard to him as they do to others.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I guess it`s kind of acceptable and legit these days to have politicians that don't do major damage and people can have fun of.

But seriously, what is that ? And what does it tell about a country when people elect somebody like this for presidential candidate ? Probably only possible in the land of opportunity.
On the other hand a freak show debate between Trump and Biden might not something to be sniffed at.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
You've got a lot of gall to compare me to Silentbird when your views coincide with his far more often than mine do.

TYT (your other favorite news source) are leftist partisan hacks, but at least they sort of believe in some of the content they put up. Ball & Enjeti are straight-up right-wing plants. The claim to legitimacy of any form of targeted propaganda is "see, we tell the truth sometimes!!". Krystal Ball has got one job, and one job only: peel off as much support from Biden on the left as she can to help Donald Trump get re-elected. If that's the side you're on, then fine, but don't go around pretending to be Trump opposition.
Making a bunch of assumptions there that you have no way to back up. The idea that it's the media's job to 100% back a candidate is one of the biggest issues with our press. I'm fine with the sources you named not pretending that the issues with Biden, or any political figure, don't exist.

·
Registered
32,820 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have found a lot of your questions in this article: Democrats Near Deal With White House on Stimulus Package

It seems like what the Dems intended with further negotations was to make sure your taxpayers money would be well spent on the stimulus package and that unemployed people like your son would also be supported after spending that first and only amount they would get from the Republicans....
So, from my perspective the Republicans tried to rush a huge pile of money through Senate under the pretext of helping the little guy fast but without actually allocating an extensive enough amount to help that little guy for an extended time period. In the meantime companies could get copious amounts of money, without any accountability, from the Trump administration.
The article you quote from the New York Times states that the Dems won major concessions from the Republicans to add strict oversight over the $500 billion corporate aid fund, including installing an inspector general and a panel appointed by Congress to monitor it. Presumably this suggests that the Dems were negotiating in good faith and are justified in delaying implementing the aid toute suite. Of course the article ignores the whole bunch of pork and a full wish list package the Dems have been attempting to include in the bill which wrangling has lead to prolonging the negotiations when speed is of essence in trying to alleviate the suffering America is under because of the corona virus pandemic.

I am dubious at the efficaciousness of having govt oversight of the corporate relief proposed by this aid package. This presupposes that the corporations upon receiving the aid will not put the money to good use and as result will thwart the aim and purpose of the legislation. On the other hand it presupposes that the govt i.e. the civil service, the govt bureaucracy if you will, has no axe to grind and thus will hold the corporations’ feet to the fire for the good of the country.

Unfortunately in practical terms the exact opposite is the reality, and you can sense the veracity of this assertion logically. BTW when describing employees of the private sector vis à vis govt employees I’m not impugning any evil intent, I’m assuming as a given that I’m referring to only conscientious workers.

If one works in the private sector, one is absolutely cognizant of this empirical fact: if you’re not a productive worker aside from the fact you could be fired as a consequence, but that is even moot because you might lose your job anyway, if you and your co-workers are not competent and thus cause the business to fail as a result. And even if you are competent you still might lose your job if the company you work for folds because it has lost its customers for one reason or another having nothing to do with you. Given such existence of reality it follows that the private sector employee has the utmost incentive to work diligently to the best of his/her ability.

It’s a different kettle of fish in the case of civil servants, of whom it might be said are not civil nor serve anyone. That BTW is an inside joke imparted to me by an actual govt worker. The absolute undeniably fact is that the civil servant’s employer can not go out of business. When you add the presence of public service unions that defend their members, you have the situation whereby it is impossible to fire a civil servant for incompetency. This security of employment invites complacency in performing one’s duties. More importantly there is no sense of satisfaction or even tangible evidence for the civil servant to hang his/her hat on knowing that he/she has achieved a worthwhile result in his/her employment.

In the private sector, if one engineers a gigantic sale for one’s company, which aside from the commission earned for the individual, makes a great profit for the business, there is an obvious instant visible corroboration of success. For the civil servant there is no such recognition never mind even awareness that there has been a remarkable achievement accomplished that is worthy of a reward for a job well done.

As an example suppose one is a fisheries officer with the duty to ensure that regulations for the quotas limiting the catching of fish are strictly adhered to. It can be said that success is achieved if the said fisheries officer does his/her job conscientiously and successfully, such that the fish particularly subject to inspection, is still available to be caught and eaten let’s say two hundred years from now. Obviously in such scenario the fisheries officers who had an impact in achieving that desirable outcome would have died long before his/her truly effective contributions could be acknowledged or recognized.

I say all this to suggest that the Dems insistence of govt oversight of the funds to be disbursed to the corporations are not helpful. Actually I believe the reverse to be true in that govt oversight is a useless hindrance to ameliorate the current suffering that lots of our fellow Americans including my son are experiencing. Each corporation that will receive the aid is in a better position to determine how to spend the monies effectively for it to survive than any govt bureaucrat who has no clue as to what is needed for the business to succeed.

I see that the bill has now passed the Senate unanimously and I bet not one concession that the Dems have succeeded in extracting from the Republicans has made the bill any better.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
6001 - 6020 of 6205 Posts