·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Bye scrubbribes.

Reactions: Siegerin

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Wow! Anett was about as sharp and crisp as I’d ever seen her. As a fan she is somewhat frustrating. She can beat the best players on the tour, but by the same token she can also lose to players she should routinely beat. Thus, she rarely has a N.I.D match. The beginning of this match was a case in point. In the first game showed her opening up a 40-15 lead only to face a BP before you could blink an eye. She saved it and won the next two points to take the game. The second game saw Anett take the lead to see two BPs. But Spaniard saved them to bring the game to deuce. But Anett won the next two points culminating hitting an unreturnable drop shot as she got to the net. In the third game, Anett got off to a 30-0 lead, but inexplicably struck two consecutive DFs, her only DFs in the match. She took the next two points with a winner and a forced error to take the game. To my mind that was equivalent of winning the game at love, and I was no longer worried of a possible upset.

Anett was on fire and the second set was especially brutal for the Spaniard. It seemed like Anett could do no wrong and Ms Tormo could do no right. Case in point and one of the most spectacular points of the match was the fourth point in the sixth game of the second set. Anett serving at 4-1, 30-15, struck an average serve which allowed Sorribes to return deep almost striking the base line. This allowed the Spaniard to approach the net and hit Anett’s return to the corner of the ad side of the court. Anett was off balance in returning this ball, but regained her balance sufficiently enough to scamper to the other side of the court. She got into proper position in time to strike a vicious passing shot winner past the startled Spaniard.

Of course one can not make too much of one match, but surely one can be confident enough that pretty Estonian should reach at least the third round in this tournament and improve in her ranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts