Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Re: US Open Wildcards Speculation/News

She never fulfills her quota of tournaments anyway. She could've slotted in one or two events between Wimbledon and the Open. But no. Nothing.

Ridiculous. This WC agreement needs to be scrapped immediately.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

Is actually ridiculous with the Aussies this year, really no one deserves.
Dellacqua - no idea where she is..
Barty - probably home training
Sanders - home training
Rodionova - like they will give her a WC :lol:
Jones - no idea where she is
Rogowska - can hardly win a match
Adamczak - same as above

So really none has done much in the US courts recently
Sanders just reached the semi-final of the $50k at Yakima, beating Shelby Rogers (USTA wild card entry) en route, which makes her more deserving than Barty IMO.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

She still has age restrictions because of her age. Otherwise she would have played more tournaments. She's done pretty good for a 17 year old, let's not forget how young she is.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
That old chestnut! :eek:

She is now 17 so her number of tournaments is not that restricted - she is eligible to play 16 tournaments + Fed Cup between her birthday in April and next April 2014. She has only played 3 of the 16 (Roland Garros, Birmingham, Wimbledon) so that leaves 13 left. Of course, she could have played 1 event before the US Open. Where is she going to fit in the 12 tournaments after the US Open??? Presumably, at the end of the year, she is heading back to those cruddsville Aussie $25ks, which she has already won and which would be totally pointless for her to reappear at...

Donna Vekic is younger and still manages to create some semblance of a schedule that leads up to grand slams... :help:

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts

Stoltenberg is holding her back and its Footy season here and her team are doing well so she is off to see them play instead of playing the US hardcourts. They have it all sorted so no need to concern yourself with when she plays.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That old chestnut! :eek:

She is now 17 so her number of tournaments is not that restricted - she is eligible to play 16 tournaments + Fed Cup between her birthday in April and next April 2014. She has only played 3 of the 16 (Roland Garros, Birmingham, Wimbledon) so that leaves 13 left. Of course, she could have played 1 event before the US Open. Where is she going to fit in the 12 tournaments after the US Open??? Presumably, at the end of the year, she is heading back to those cruddsville Aussie $25ks, which she has already won and which would be totally pointless for her to reappear at...

Donna Vekic is younger and still manages to create some semblance of a schedule that leads up to grand slams... :help:
According to the WTA it says "16 professional tennis tournaments" which would also include ITF events.

Given that Aussie tournaments in ITF and the Aussie summer are coming up it's not a bad idea to save them.

There are also plenty of Asian events close to home as well.

I don't blame her for having a break.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

Stoltenberg is holding her back and its Footy season here and her team are doing well so she is off to see them play instead of playing the US hardcourts. They have it all sorted so no need to concern yourself with when she plays.
Fine if she wants to do that...but then she should give up her wild card to someone who gives a damn.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

According to the WTA it says "16 professional tennis tournaments" which would also include ITF events.

Given that Aussie tournaments in ITF and the Aussie summer are coming up it's not a bad idea to save them.

There are also plenty of Asian events close to home as well.

I don't blame her for having a break.

But she played those last year. How do they help her now? She will start those events defending points, she could crash out of the top 200 by the end of the year. Her performances at Birmingham and Wimbledon (which I watched courtside) revealed how inexperienced she is, even at playing top 200 opponents, so I don't see how playing players ranked 200 or 400 in the world is going to help her at the moment. She needs to break out and play in North America or Europe where the tougher competition is as opposed to facing off against fellow Aussie wild card candidates in Bendigo or Traralgon.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts

She is working doing weights and training. I guess they are trying to build her body up and hopefully she will grow taller which i think she will. She is enjoying her teenage years while she can. I guess because its a long and treacherous road ahead for her if she doesn't decide to go walkabout like aboriginals do.

·
Registered
787 Posts

Any chance they give Craybas a QWC as a last hurrah? Surely this is her last US Open give how low her ranking is.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts

Why should she? Who knows if this is her last hurrah anyway? She'll probably play til she's 50.

It's not like she's a former champion, or someone who has done well here in the past.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,391 Posts
Jilly got a MDWC in 2011 and was beaten pretty routinely by fellow WC Madison Keys - last year she lost swiftly in the qualies to Kudryavtseva...would be great to see her play one more open but can't see a wildcard being justified when the depth in the young talent is much stronger right now

·
Registered
53,697 Posts
Kiick vs Vickery in the U18 Nationals final for a USO MDWC

Both girls partnered to win the doubles and get a doubles MDWC in NY

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Poor old maria Sanchez slim hopes of gaining one were demolished after her loss today :(

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

So is it official that Barty is getting the Aussie WC?

Also what is the trend/pattern on USTA U18 runner ups getting QWCs? Is this pretty much a given that Kiick will get a QWC?

·
Premium Member
44,722 Posts
Rogowska may get the Aussie WC after a finalist showing this week in Landisville.
Really the only Aussie result on hard courts this season (except for Stosur, of course)...? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts

Here's hoping Barty does NOT get a WC. Never before have I ever seen someone get so many undeserving free passes. Not right.

It's pretty clear the girl has talent, but right now she needs to stick where she belongs.

I'm sure I'll get the usuall "well, who else deserves it?" defense. But why should someone repeatedly strike gold because everyone else sucks? In all honesty, no one deserves it. They need to scrap this farcical arrangement, because Australia has zero depth and for years has always relied on one player to carry the WC load. It's a joke.
100% agree. I've favoured Ash getting them in the past but it's really beyond a joke now - particularly when Storm is in better form.

As much as an Australian it's nice to have another person from your Country in the MD the swap idea in general is stupid and should be abolished.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts

100% agree. I've favoured Ash getting them in the past but it's really beyond a joke now - particularly when Storm is in better form.

As much as an Australian it's nice to have another person from your Country in the MD the swap idea in general is stupid and should be abolished.
Let's be fair to the girl too, only her 2 French Open WC were a "joke". But yes, every sane person agrees that it is enough and should stop.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts