Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ugly thing is to start matches after 11 pm.
No match should start after 10 pm. Start early, finish early.
The end.

·
Art & Futures
20,627 Posts
The ugly thing is to start matches after 11 pm.
No match should start after 10 pm. Start early, finish early.
The end.
Yeah it sucks for the players. But NYC is the city that never sleeps. :|

I think it would be fine if night session started at 5 or 6, but then people from work wouldn't be able to make it on time. :shrug: Maybe 6:30pm is a better compromise??

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
It’s very rare a night session gets delayed.

Stupid move

·
Registered
114,484 Posts
Its not like Centre Court Wimbledon where people buy those tickets as a tourist event, long in advance
They must have had problems clearing out the building so the night crowd can get in

·
always getting what i want
18,246 Posts
Outrageous!

·
always getting what i want
18,246 Posts
They need to bulldoze Arthur Ashe stadium anyway and create Serena Williams Arena.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would be fine if night session started at 5 or 6, but then people from work wouldn't be able to make it on time. :shrug: Maybe 6:30pm is a better compromise??
If people want to watch the matches, they'll find ways to get off work early. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
TF logic.

2 ATP matches and 1 WTA match in Wimbledon CC is sexism.

2 WTA matches and 1 ATP match at the Ashe stadium was fine.

But any problem cannot be found?

(Just said that because that's the forgotten thing when whining about Wimbledon scheduling.)

Honestly, I don't see why the USTA thinks three matches in the day session was a problem. It's the same at the AO, and it'll remain like that at Armstrong. Speed up that slowass court at Ashe, introduce the shot clock, and there you go, the day session ends in time.

·
Registered
22,495 Posts
Well, i'm enjoying this news. My usher friend works on Armstrong and at least I won't be under Court 5 all the time when all that's going on at night is blowouts on Ashe :lol:. Although, there will be plenty of good matches on outer courts the first week or so. It's the second week where this will really be a factor.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
US OPEN to have just TWO matches in Day Session
:facepalm:
Nice clickbait title. That's not what the article states.

It states that there will be two matches a day on Ashe. It even states that there will be three on Armstrong. And then there's the Grandstand and the 14 other courts.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I’m confused.

What is happening here?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Was always going to happen with the roof but poor for the European market as that will be more prime matches starting from either midnight in the UK or 1am in central Europe.

Was OK before as it was just 2 matches and often just a Federer walkover in the early rounds so didn't miss much.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I remember being at the USO a few years ago for an Ashe day session. As soon as the third match finished there were stewards shouting (like literally yelling) and anyone and everyone they could see to leave the stadium. I thought it was mega rude at the time so proceeded to take as long as possible to exit, naturally. It was only after the event that I realised the day session massively overrun and the night session was way behind. This is not uncommon and second matches in the night session were often starting at 11pm local time, which was good for nobody.

This move makes sense. It will enable organisers to stick to a schedule and things will run much more smoothly. Plus, from a very selfish perspective, the 12 noon starts means 5pm starts in the UK so much better for me after I get home from work :eek:h:

·
Registered
810 Posts
The matches during ashe in the first week are usually terrible anyway. What's worse is that the new Armstrong stadium will be half reserved seats. So only 7,000 of the 14,000 will be free for grounds admission. And USTA probably just wanted to make more money on a night session ticket for Armstrong. The tournament has made some beautiful structural changes in recent years, but they are moving away from catering to real tennis fans. Not happy about it.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
Hopefully, now Caro Wozniaki won't be able to blame the scheduling when she loses in an early round to a lower ranked player.

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
Everything custom-tailered for TV... Contemporary US.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I remember being at the USO a few years ago for an Ashe day session. As soon as the third match finished there were stewards shouting (like literally yelling) and anyone and everyone they could see to leave the stadium. I thought it was mega rude at the time so proceeded to take as long as possible to exit, naturally. It was only after the event that I realised the day session massively overrun and the night session was way behind.
Could you ever see this happening at Wimbledon CC? Totally different mindset from both the slams.

Of course, trying to get in and out of the gods in CC even between matches is enough of a queue. Bit better lower down. Can't imagine the fun they have trying to clear the top level of Ashe!

Great for european viewers :eek:, more matches in the middle of the night and less in the evening :mad:
We should be used to it I suppose. Half the slams aren't great for our time zone. Mind you, at the other ends of the globe they probably say similar about Wimbledon and RG...

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Could you ever see this happening at Wimbledon CC? Totally different mindset from both the slams.

Of course, trying to get in and out of the gods in CC even between matches is enough of a queue. Bit better lower down. Can't imagine the fun they have trying to clear the top level of Ashe!

We should be used to it I suppose. Half the slams aren't great for our time zone. Mind you, at the other ends of the globe they probably say similar about Wimbledon and RG...
The US Open was absolutely ideal for the UK audience, even better than Wimbledon and RG. The typical 9-5 workers could get home for say 5.30/6 depending on commuting distance and pretty much anyone could watch tennis if they wanted to until 11pm - some could even stay up until midnight or 1am and still get 7 hours sleep and get back for work for 9am the next day.

If there was no evening session, play would start from 11am (4pm UK) and run right through to 8/8.30pm like Wimbledon (1/1.30am) UK time so therefore most would be able to watch the vast majority of play. Having 2 evening sessions means these will start from midnight and go on to 4 or 5am which is unsociable hours.

Bad news, but not unexpected.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts