Tennis Forum banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
CGS
7,579 Posts
I took this loss quite easily, pretty much because she lost in a straightforward fashion without any drama or hope at all :lol: But I think we should not dwell into this loss too much. We all knew she is stubborn and will always go for her serve, and today is just an example of bad serving. On a positive note, it cannot get much worse than this.

She had a really bad first 3 months of the year, then came back with a pretty successful clay season, flopped on grass (not a huge shock) and this is just her first tournament coming back from that disaster and it's on hard too. She showed she is still capable of playing good tennis in the Kasatkina match, it's just Garcia is such a bad matchup for Maria. I have always feared that girl after '11 RG. Combined with Maria's serving today and the result is not that hard to understand. A bad day in the office against a bad matchup.

Onto Cincy. Hope she would have a nice draw and get to at least the QF.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I don't really know what Maria expects to get from her career now. She isn't training nearly as much as she needs to for fear her body will break. Is she just hoping that one tournament will come together for her like it did in Tianjin? She's nowhere close to winning another slam, she can barely get past the round of 16 in any draw. Can't see how much fun it is to go from week to week winning a handful of matches. She's become what we've all feared: a journeywoman.
Then find someone else to support that lives up to your expectations.

·
SharaFamily
21,146 Posts
I took this loss quite easily, pretty much because she lost in a straightforward fashion without any drama or hope at all :lol: But I think we should not dwell into this loss too much. We all knew she is stubborn and will always go for her serve, and today is just an example of bad serving. On a positive note, it cannot get much worse than this.

She had a really bad first 3 months of the year, then came back with a pretty successful clay season, flopped on grass (not a huge shock) and this is just her first tournament coming back from that disaster and it's on hard too. She showed she is still capable of playing good tennis in the Kasatkina match, it's just Garcia is such a bad matchup for Maria. I have always feared that girl after '11 RG. Combined with Maria's serving today and the result is not that hard to understand. A bad day in the office against a bad matchup.

Onto Cincy. Hope she would have a nice draw and get to at least the QF.
So true.If Sharapova serve well, It will be a tough match cause Garcia has a game to trouble her. I really expect a good match after saw her ground game in the beginning. Those BH were delicious. But everything fall down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Garcia loves to play against Maria. Maria's pace does not bother her at all. Even when Maria beat her in the past, those matches were always tough and Caroline had chances to win them. Now Caroline is a better player, and she is absolutely dragging Maria. She redirected almost every one of Sharapova's shots into the corners. She never let her stay in the middle of the court, which is where Maria is the most dangerous. To be honest, from the ground this match was very similar to the Stuttgart one. Maria was outplayed from the ground there too, but she had an above average serving day, and that made the score quite close. But she was outplayed in that match as well. I know some people here didn't agree with that...

I don't know how Maria can deal with players that can handle her pace now. She used to be able to beat them mentally, but now it looks like she has few answers against any of those players. She looks a tad slower out there; it seems her reaction time is not as good as before. Her serve is only good when she knows she is not going to be hurt from the ground. Then she relaxes and hits some good serves. But when she is under pressure, she tries to over serve and the percentage dips.

Kerber, Osaka, Muguruza, Diatchenko, and now Garcia, were all players that can move Maria around the court, and this year she has shown she has no chance against those players. Scary, because there are quite a few more WTA players that have the power to do that to her, and some of them are ranked outside the top 100. Very worrying for her if she wants to be considered a legit grand slam contender. Imo she is clearly not right now.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Shame that Maria put in another horrible service display against a good player.
She has the ground game, but good luck with that if you can't hit a first serve to get yourself going.

Not a terrible tournament overall, let's see how she does next week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Garcia won two of the biggest hard court tournaments last year back to back and is ranked 6 so she clearly has the game to beat anyone on Hard.

In a way I'm glad she isn't going to play Halep again as I don't feel she would be in the form to win.

I'm going to take the positives away from this week, getting two good wins on hard court none the less.. I just hope she can go further in the next tournament.

Looking at Maria's position in the rankings and the the race to Singapore and I would say that everyone above her has played a stronger year so far (except from Serena on the race and Venus ranking wise).

Also looking at the remaining quarter finalists, they are all players above Maria in the rankings and top 20 players so it's not like she has missed a golden opportunity or an easy draw/or a draw that fell apart.

So all things considered it's not as bad as some people are feeling. Apart from the serve today.. That was just awful. We all know she can be prone to serving days like these at any moment.

Who knows what next week will bring and what draw she will have. I would be happy if she can match her 2 wins here and maybe go a couple further.

·
SharaFamily
21,146 Posts
Garcia loves to play against Maria. Maria's pace does not bother her at all. Even when Maria beat her in the past, those matches were always tough and Caroline had chances to win them. Now Caroline is a better player, and she is absolutely dragging Maria. She redirected almost every one of Sharapova's shots into the corners. She never let her stay in the middle of the court, which is where Maria is the most dangerous. To be honest, from the ground this match was very similar to the Stuttgart one. Maria was outplayed from the ground there too, but she had an above average serving day, and that made the score quite close. But she was outplayed in that match as well. I know some people here didn't agree with that...

I don't know how Maria can deal with players that can handle her pace now. She used to be able to beat them mentally, but now it looks like she has few answers against any of those players. She looks a tad slower out there; it seems her reaction time is not as good as before. Her serve is only good when she knows she is not going to be hurt from the ground. Then she relaxes and hits some good serves. But when she is under pressure, she tries to over serve and the percentage dips.

Kerber, Osaka, Muguruza, Diatchenko, and now Garcia, were all players that can move Maria around the court, and this year she has shown she has no chance against those players. Scary, because there are quite a few more WTA players that have the power to do that to her, and some of them are ranked outside the top 100. Very worrying for her if she wants to be considered a legit grand slam contender. Imo she is clearly not right now.
Exactly my though. Especially the 2nd part. Her serve and her game fall down when a player take away time from her, put pressure on her
tbh It's windy yesterday but no excuse. Only good thing is her serve can't be worse in Cincinnati and US Open like yesterday :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, what’s with the double faults on match points?
Two matches lost on double faults. (2 straight)
Before that it was way back in 2011 vs Li in RG semi, then 2007 vs Vika Moscow.

It’s odd.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
if i'm right since she's back on tour she lost almost every match against players with proper serv and good ballstriking, only exceptions are semi retired old Baroni, Sabalenka who was the better player for most part of that match (and still a teen at first WTA final) and Pliskova who basically lost by herself with a tragic performance. Remember she barely won against fucking Riske in China this year, then she flopped to Siniakova who did basically nothing impressive for the rest of the season. Like someone already said the worrying thing is that when she faces this kind of players my feeling is that the match is not exactly in her racket, so yesterday was Garcia who played a good match sure but still in slumping mode since months, losing a set to Rib and suddendly she rise and owns Maria (like Garbine in Paris :rolleyes:) , tomorrow will be Camila Giorgi, in New York who know? Vandeweghe? Collins? Safarova? Puig? Fact is that a player with her issues with movement can't beat these girls on a good day without the most important shot in tennis, especially on fast courts.

Drop your expectations for Cinci, things are not going to be better in a few days, just pray for a good draw.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Also, what’s with the double faults on match points?
Two matches lost on double faults. (2 straight)
Before that it was way back in 2011 vs Li in RG semi, then 2007 vs Vika Moscow.

It’s odd.

Her serve is in a bad state. The great servers serve well under pressure. With Maria, the more the pressure the worst her serve gets. It's awful.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
But how good is a serve really if you can hit it only against the opponents you know have no real weapons to hurt you? :shrug: And that just goes to show how mental it is for her. No one expects her to have the best service days consecutively and consistently, we're way past that point, but such a gigantic dip from one day to another is unacceptable. I don't know, it's something she could work at since it depends solely on her, but who knows if she's even willing to make the effort at this point.

·
Registered
231 Posts
She usually plays better in Cincy. What a shitty match though. How can one play so badly after playing so well the day before?

Her losses don’t affect me anymore. For me it’s like “oh. Cool. Another loss. Anyway what’s for dinner?”

161 - 180 of 218 Posts