Tennis Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hope she will get some good advice about her schedule. She needs more matches but also take care for her body. In my opinion she have to play more for routine and confidence.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Huh, the shoulder :unsure: Would've been more logical to cite the forearm issues if she just needed sort of an excuse to rest her body, unless there really are some lingering shoulder problems. Hopefully not.

·
Registered
10,979 Posts
A reminder: it was during a wedding weekend in Puglia and she felt the need to bring her physio there for 2 days

Then the next week she was in Dusseldorf without any updates from her of why she was there (the only things we had were pics of the book she was reading, the new evian campaign and a pic from K20 museum but no IG stories the whole week). But I doubt it was for vacationing;

Now make all the theories you want.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I think that at this point in her career there will always be something bothering her body.
It must be so disappointing for her that this is holding her back.

Would be nice if she would have at least one good stretch of being healthy.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Her withdrawal thread in GM is next level. The fact that people get genuine joy from seeing her injured is fucked up even for this place

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
At the end of the day, her reputation rests on neither the opinions of her haters, nor those of her fans, but on millions of those who don't care to love or hate her. Both ardent fans and vehement haters are absolute minorities.

Both love and hate will fade away, but records won't. So win another slam. That's the only thing that can change the minds of millions of casual sport news readers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
She played 3 matches averaging 1hr 20 and her body fell apart (played for the first time since early July). How does that bode well for a grand slam push?

Atleast we know why her serve is sucking more than usual in recent months.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don’t think she’s withdrawing.She wouldn’t have played warm up tournament if she was doing so.USO will probably be her last event this year tho as I don’t see her dragging her injured body playing at Beijing and Tianjin for no reason.
With no title let alone a final and numerous R1 exits this year is rock bottom.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Maria is entered in Tianjin. Does not mean she will not withdraw, but she has a lot of fans in China, and I think she will defend her title.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I don't know why everyone is being so melodramatic about her being injured here. She probably is a bit sore, but I think it's probably more a case of her looking to tinker around with her scheduling and see what works for her going forward. She's made it clear Rome and Madrid were tough on her body, and she also knows she went in completely cold into NY last year and did decently. I'd rather see her play one event and take some time, then play both and then reveal during/after the slam that her body was exhausted by the end of August.

The fact that we've seen her training says it's not a serious injury, so maybe we can save meltdowns and speculation for if she withdraws from the US Open, or, y'know, actually puts a statement out announcing her retirement.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts