Tennis Forum banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
She usually plays better in Cincy. What a shitty match though. How can one play so badly after playing so well the day before?

Her losses don’t affect me anymore. For me it’s like “oh. Cool. Another loss. Anyway what’s for dinner?

This. I mean it's as simple as if she plays bad she can't expect to win. I'm not gonna annoy myself over it since I feel most of the losses have been, understandably, mental since the return. That's not something anyone but herself has control over.

I don't see her playing after 2019. Even if she was in great form that still wouldn't leave many chances for a Slam. After the shoulder surgery and her 09/10 struggles I PRAYED for her to just win the one more, preferably RG, and she did that returning to number 1 in the process. With one more though there's always the thought of 'one more..' and she did that too again at RG, '14 was probably the most rewarding Slam to witness as a fan.

I would be over the moon with another Tier I or two and get her ranking back into the top 10. And even if she stays 10-20 I'll still watch all her matches and take great joy in the tournies she strings it together for a couple of matches taking out some mouthy seeds en route. If that's all the rest of her career is it won't be a failure, any more than Hingis is regarded a failure over 2007. I don't care what some ignorant digital hater thinks of her or her career. I actually know. I have the memories. I was there for all the highs and lows all throughout my teenage years and beyond. I'm just gonna hope she stays healthy enough to play a decent amount of tournaments and try to enjoy whatever comes along because there isn't much of the journey left.

That said, she really needs to stop being an idiot with her schedule. If she was only going to play one event it should have been Cinci, the one she's had actual success at.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think it's good she's withdrawn from Cincy. She needs to train and figure out her game. No point in competing if she doesn't know what she's doing against ANYBODY with a serve or hits deep. I think she will train hard, work on her movement and her serve.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious she's over tennis. The only reason she's still going is she wants one last Slam to silence the morons who said she "cheated" her way to her previous Slams; if she gets that (and it's obviously a big "if") then I reckon she'll retire immediately afterwards.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My assumption is that whenever she quits a tournament these days, it's because her body can't afford playing it. The message here is perhaps that she won't play back-to-back tournaments anymore unless absolutely necessary. That's also why Max said she might not play both Beijing and Tianjin this year.

I think it's good she's withdrawn from Cincy. She needs to train and figure out her game. No point in competing if she doesn't know what she's doing against ANYBODY with a serve or hits deep. I think she will train hard, work on her movement and her serve.
US Open is only a little more than two weeks from now, she will take a break in this weekend and next week. Then she starts training one week before the tournament, as usual.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What a troll :haha: I mean she didn't look injured for once, and if this is about taking care of her body, then she should've obviously just skipped Canada altogether and played Cincy instead.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I mean she didn't look injured for once, and if this is about taking care of her body, then she should've obviously just skipped Canada altogether and played Cincy instead.
If she skips Montreal and then loses in R1 or R2 in Cincy, she won't have enough match play before US Open. When a player wants to skip one of the back-to-back tournaments, she normally plays the first and later decides whether to skip the second, depending on how deep she went in the first. I don't see anything uncommon, impractical or laughable here.

She didn't look injured during RG this year either, but later admitted she was exhausted after playing consecutive clay tournaments. Her body is THAT fragile now. Funny that you think fatigue can't be a reason to withdraw from competition.

What a troll :haha:
The lack of mutual respect and patience to listen to each other has been the new normal of this sub-forum since 2016. It's a good thing that she is close to the end of her career so the different factions of fans here won't have to bear each other for a long time.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Very surprised she withdrew. I thought if she did well in Canada she would not play, but with a 3rd round loss and only playing 6 sets she withdraws? She must have a nagging injury that she is not talking about. That forearm again?

·
Registered
961 Posts
All of her problems are based on her injury/injuries. Tennis, shots, double faults, mental state. Everything. Her body can't hold up with a tour anymore. She is not able to play two tournaments in a row, she can't catch a rhytm, and that's why she's so mentally fragile on the court. She doesn't trust her own tennis and body. Hard to build something when you are in such a sad situation. I'm sure she really wants to play and win something big. Her willingness and fighting spirit are there definitely. But what can you do when your body doesn't allow you?
I'm just praying for one tournament, preferably Slam, when everything will just click for her and she will finish her beautiful career on a high note. She deserves that. That's all what I'm asking for.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I'm assuming the only reason she entered Cincinnati is in case she lost R1 of Montreal.
If she really wants to be smart about her scheduling, it doesn't make sense to play consecutive weeks, unless it's a Slam.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It’ll be one less disappointing but not unexpected loss so i’m fine with it.
Maria has enough success and money in the world already.She should just retire if she can’t continue rather than playing for proving something she’s already proven long ago when significant amount of stupid haters were shittting in diapers or were in kindergarten.Don’t see a reason to drag her glass like body and flop everywhere just for sake of those judging eyes who’ll always spew venom regardless.Nike 10 year deal ends this year(?) so it’ll be quite favorable to retire.
Best escape is getting pregnant imo.Searching for some superficial high when your game and mental aspect is everywhere is fruitless.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
If she skips Montreal and then loses in R1 or R2 in Cincy, she won't have enough match play before US Open. When a player wants to skip one of the back-to-back tournaments, she normally plays the first and later decides whether to skip the second, depending on how deep she went in the first. I don't see anything uncommon, impractical or laughable here.

She didn't look injured during RG this year either, but later admitted she was exhausted after playing consecutive clay tournaments. Her body is THAT fragile now. Funny that you think fatigue can't be a reason to withdraw from competition.

The lack of mutual respect and patience to listen to each other has been the new normal of this sub-forum since 2016. It's a good thing that she is close to the end of her career so the different factions of fans here won't have to bear each other for a long time.
It was meant as a joke, lighten up. As far as the first part goes, generally makes sense, but it's sad if she is tired and incapable of competing after three matches, two of which were blowouts and you can't exactly call the last one a tennis classic either. And it's not like she played loads of tennis in the past month and a half to talk about short-term cumulative fatigue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm really struggling to comprehend some of the choices she has made in regards to scheduling this year.

Looks like the clay season will be the highlight of her season.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I would say some of her decisions have been questionable this year but we really don't know what is going on behind the scenes so that is why I am reserving judgement on her decisions.

Better to have that approach, instead of calling her names or saying she should retire seconds after losing a match.

Trying to be positive in a sea of negativity.

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
Very disappointing loss to annoying Garcia :facepalm:

Too weak serving and too many UEs :help: DF to end the match :eek:

Maria still too messy overall. She must play on a high level consistently ! :(

Oh well, at least she destroyed Kasatkina and showed who the best Russian is :hehehe:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
yeah she's not gonna retire this year. she'll probably stick it out until 2020 cause i think she really wants to play at the olympics again

·
Registered
566 Posts
Disappointing loss? Not really because Garcia did everything perfectly: serve redirection depth. Maria’s serve let her down big time and hopefully she’s trying to find the solution and work on it before USO. She still owns a decent ranking for her result thus far. She still looks very much in good shape for the sport. So she definitely had put in the work for it. She is trying to prolong her career as much as she can that’s why she’s playing only selected tournaments. She definitely cannot afford to play 3 tournaments B2B hence withdrawing a few is understandable though I felt she should have played San Jose and Cincy rather than Montreal.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts