Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
Re: US Open R4: (15) Andreescu def. (Q) Townsend 6-1 4-1 6-2

Bianca was having problems with her serve in the 2nd set...

but other than that, it was pretty routine.

:cheer:

42-4

·
Registered
16,160 Posts

Unstoppable

Should have ended in two sets but that's water under the bridge

First Canadian slam QF since Genie (one by one all of Genie's records will be pulverized in this one tournament :eek:h:

Next up: Mertens

·
Art & Futures
21,079 Posts

Townsend needs some additional training to make her shots more killer, or become a tactical genius to become a top 5 player, which is possible considering her talent.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Bianca needs to tighten up her service games...almost every service game starts either with a lazy UE or missing an easy putaway...it's like she starts most of the service games 0-15 or 0-30 and then she starts playing with bit more margins and carefully...that's not gonna cut out every time. Bibi has great point construction skills that she can trust anytime against any opponent...she just needs to be more patient and focused during start of the service games. She did this in the 3rd set as expected. This is a match which she should have easily wrapped in 2. She totally nullified her opponent's biggest strength (net approaches) but still she unnecessarily dragged it to 3, just due to her own mistakes. Right now, Bianca is her own worst enemy.

Also, I was worried for a second when that racket went flying...if that would have hit the umpire...omg, that would have been the worst possible way to lose the match.

Reactions: Pris

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
OH WOW!!!...HAPPY FOR BIANCA!!!...but that was not a very good match from her...she went on her usual walkabout in the second set and her second serve was awful...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Taylor really showcased her talent and has gained new fans (including yours truly) during this tournament. I'm hoping to see more of her on tour over the next few years. Her personality and playing style are assets for the WTA.

Unfortunately, she couldn't progress further but should be so proud of what she has achieved. Onwards and upwards, Taylor :cheer:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Go Bianca!

Her coach needs to sit her down to ask why she goes on these sudden walkabouts. These are matches she should finish in 2 and not drag to 3.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Another loss in focus to unnecessarily drag herself into a 3rd set, and avoid the routine win. But if IW and Toronto are anything to go by, that's not too worrisome. Bianca always finds a way. Weird how she barely has any tour experience and has never been past the 3rd round of a Slam, but she's pretty almost up there with Serena in terms of chances of winning it all.

Congrats to Taylor, she's taken her tennis to a new level. Hope she keeps it up, her tennis is refreshing to watch.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Great match from Bianca besides that blip in the second, but she really nearly got DQed there when she lost her temper and that racket went flying...

TT played great but her game was just taken out of her hands today by Bianca's variety and the way she neutralized that S&V; she did switch up her game to win that 2nd set though!

But Bianca was very consistent and solid in the third set; played great and served great and gave TT no chances.

Still, a great run from Taylor and I hope she uses this to springboard her career and that she can play a few more WTAs instead of being constantly stuck on the ITF tour. I'm sure she won many fans with her style of play and effort this tournament!

Andreescu makes her first GS QF without much trouble, and plays Mertens next for a spot in the SF. She has a really good shot at making the final now, and I'd think she's the favourite to do so. Bencic/Andreescu SF will be :drool:. She's also one win away from confirming top 10 status...

·
Art & Futures
21,079 Posts
I wonder if the lateness of the match hindered Taylor's ability to volley. As something that relies heavily on finesse, that seems like something in which the judgment would be more hampered in a late night arena.

Reactions: Perun and PLP

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
For a moment I thought Pam was going to go "Wickmayer *eyeroll* of Belgium!" on Mertens -- "Mertens next. You're in a half with a lot of opportunities." Never change, Pam.

I hope Taylor finds a coach that can really support her specific talents. And being a bit leaner would allow her to stay in rallies a bit more, she wouldn't be pressured to go for too much too soon. Her weaknesses and strengths were both on display tonight.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Very interesting match. It had a little bit of everything from Bianca - lots of moments of brilliance, some inexplicable lulls, third set histrionics, stomping around the court. She will probably make the final but she will not beat Serena (barring a Serena choke :facepalm: ) if she plays like this. Too many ups and downs.

Serve and volley heinously ineffective - Bianca exposing how basic Halep was and Taylor was less clutch with volleys tonight. She stopped coming in nearly as much in the second and third sets, but still came in too much in the last set. Up 40-15 in two service games, attempts to serve and volley - which she literally won like 2/20 times she attempted in the match - and lost the point and then the game. That being said, she did put up a GREAT fight and made a really good adjustment to win the second. She had her chances in the third set as well. If Townsend can string it together more often - she really can be at minimum a Top 30-40 player. She was going toe to toe with Andreescu at the baseline many times during the second and third sets - even the flat out outhitting her at times- and that is not something a lot of players can do. She has a lot to work with - just needs to take confidence from this run and play more often!

Also - am I the only one who is rubbed the wrong way by all of Andreescu's interviews? She always says nice things but I feel like there is something weird and affected about the way she talks. I feel like it's a really egotistical bratty but smart person who knows what a genuinely nice person would say and spits it out... maybe I'm wrong, but yeah not my favorite.

·
Art & Futures
21,079 Posts
For a moment I thought Pam was going to go "Wickmayer!" on Mertens -- "Mertens next. You're in a half with a lot of opportunities." Never change, Pam.

I hope Taylor finds a coach that can really support her specific talents. And being a bit leaner would allow her to stay in rallies a bit more, she wouldn't be pressured to go for too much too soon. Her weaknesses and strengths were both on display tonight.
Yes, with the right coaching and training she could easily be a top 50 mainstay for years.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very interesting match. It had a little bit of everything from Bianca - lots of moments of brilliance, some inexplicable lulls, third set histrionics, stomping around the court. She will probably make the final but she will not beat Serena (barring a Serena choke :facepalm: ) if she plays like this. Too many ups and downs.

Serve and volley heinously ineffective - Bianca exposing how basic Halep was and Taylor was less clutch with volleys tonight. She stopped coming in nearly as much in the second and third sets, but still came in too much in the last set. Up 40-15 in two service games, attempts to serve and volley - which she literally won like 2/20 times she attempted in the match - and lost the point and then the game. That being said, she did put up a GREAT fight and make a really good adjustment to win the second. She had her chances in the third set as well. If Townsend can string it together more often - she really can be at minimum a Top 30-40 player. She was going toe to toe with Andreescu at the baseline at many times in the second and third - even the flat out outhitting her at times- and that is not something a lot of players can do. She has a lot to work with - just needs to take confidence from this run and play more often!

Also - am I the only one who is rubbed the wrong way by all of Andreescu's interviews? She always says nice things but I feel like there is something weird and affected about the way she talks. I feel like it's a really egotistical bratty but smart person who knows what a genuinely nice person would say and spits it out... maybe I'm wrong, but yeah not my favorite.
lol she does walk a fine line between confidence and arrogance

1 - 20 of 105 Posts