Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One win from a tremendous match with Serena
I think Ash has the style to keep the points going and really put Serena under stress. But there's a match before that she has to win

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Solid win for Barty, but not really a great match. Lots of errors and no real rhythm to it. There other 2 this year have been a lot better. :) Maria played some very loose service games and couldn’t convert on any of her BPs. Lots of aces for Ash though (especially on the important points, because the actual 1st serve %age was low), and Sakkari had some fun winners.

Barty has now made the second week at all majors this year. The only player on the tour to do so, as everyone else remaining in the draw has a R3 (or earlier) exit.

I’m a fan, but it’s strange how popular Sakkari is with crowds considering she hasn’t accomplished a whole lot yet. She had much more support than Barty today on Armstrong.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Barty :cheer: She's been so consistent in slams (and otherwise) this year! If she wins her next match ironically Wimbledon would have been her worst slam :eek:h:

Barty's improved mental strength more than anything else has helped her a lot these days. Will it be enough for say Serena? Not sure, but I think she'll give a good fight!

·
Registered
115,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Serena beat Barty 64 in the 3rd in Paris. If the Barty who won Miami shows up, it should be a good match. I'd rather see a steady player like Halep or Kerber against Serena than an erratic player like Muchova, and Barty understands how to rally.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,611 Posts
Anyone who thinks Barty stands a chance against Serena is absolutely deluded. Don't you guys remember last year RG when the odds were much better to her? It ain't gonna happen guys, don't create false hope. I give her 4-6 3-6 at best.
We're a match early. Serena didn't make to their showdown at the French, and Barty didn't make it to their showdown at Wimbledon, so this could all be moot!

That said, while Barty's game this tournament hasn't looked the best it has this year, her game this year has been better than her game last year at every single year-on-year comparison.

Both of them are improved players on their 2018 match up.

·
Banned
15,175 Posts
Pusher vanquished. :banana: :woohoo: :happy:

Gorl bye! :bigwave:

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
We're a match early. Serena didn't make to their showdown at the French, and Barty didn't make it to their showdown at Wimbledon, so this could all be moot!

That said, while Barty's game this tournament hasn't looked the best it has this year, her game this year has been better than her game last year at every single year-on-year comparison.

Both of them are improved players on their 2018 match up.
There's indeed a chance of Barty flopping next round, you have a point. Serena, however, already has one hand in htis trophy, bar some fatality.

I understand you don't want to jinx your fave, but trust me, it's really NID right now and no amount of superstition can change that.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
Barty isn’t going to beat Serena in this form.
Serena is certainly playing better than Barty (or anyone else) right now. And I would regard her as the strong favourite going into that match. That said, Serena over the last couple of years has thrown in poor matches when they were least expected so I wouldn't call any result with Serena right now a 100% given. She does have a tendency these days to break down both physically and sometimes mentally at inopportune things.

As for Ash what is striking about Ash is how since playing an awful 1st set in the 1st round, she has moved through the 1st three rounds playing well below her best and still comfortably winning. Winning comfortably, even when not playing one's best is a sure sign of a top player. One still gets a sense Ash has another couple of levels she can raise her game to. Whether she finds those levels here or not we will have to wait and see.

If Serena and Ash face each other, and they still both have to win one more match, I'd certainly agree Serena would go in as the strong favourite. Even so, I'd still like to see that match play itself out on court rather than simply accept the paper prognosis of the match. Additionally regardless of the result, I would still expect an entertaining match well worth watching.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Serena is certainly playing better than Barty (or anyone else) right now. And I would regard her as the strong favourite going into that match. That said, Serena over the last couple of years has thrown in poor matches when they were least expected so I wouldn't call any result with Serena right now a 100% given. She does have a tendency these days to break down both physically and sometimes mentally at inopportune things.

As for Ash what is striking about Ash is how since playing an awful 1st set in the 1st round, she has moved through the 1st three rounds playing well below her best and still comfortably winning. Winning comfortably, even when not playing one's best is a sure sign of a top player. One still gets a sense Ash has another couple of levels she can raise her game to. Whether she finds those levels here or not we will have to wait and see.

If Serena and Ash face each other, and they still both have to win one more match, I'd certainly agree Serena would go in as the strong favourite. Even so, I'd still like to see that match play itself out on court rather than simply accept the paper prognosis of the match. Additionally regardless of the result, I would still expect an entertaining match well worth watching.
i take it you haven't been watching Keys matches ?:confused: Keys is definitely playing better than Serena right now .

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
i take it you haven't been watching Keys matches ?:confused: Keys is definitely playing better than Serena right now .
I could of course be completely mistaken in this, but despite her great success in Cincy, I am not entirely sold on Keys chances at the US Open. That said, she has done well here the last few years and I wouldn't rule her out. I still see Serena as the favourite though.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,611 Posts
There's indeed a chance of Barty flopping next round, you have a point. Serena, however, already has one hand in htis trophy, bar some fatality.

I understand you don't want to jinx your fave, but trust me, it's really NID right now and no amount of superstition can change that.
I can't tell if you're serious :shrug:

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Anyone who thinks Barty stands a chance against Serena is absolutely deluded. Don't you guys remember last year RG when the odds were much better to her? It ain't gonna happen guys, don't create false hope. I give her 4-6 3-6 at best.
oh please quit this damn jinxing.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The match was unwatchable due to the high contrast shadows on the stadium court.
Solution:
Put a retractable shade screen across the inside top of the stadium, which would reduce the sunlight by 50%.
Benefits:
1) Pleasant viewing for the people watching home video.
2) Pleasant climate for those at the event with sunny side seats.
3) Pleasant conditions for the players, lower heat effects and less sun in the eyes when serving.
4) Pleasant atmospherics for "Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs" for unknown reasons........(Wooly Bully to you too)

·
Registered
5,712 Posts

·
Registered
12,677 Posts
Maria :sad: :hug: Some good games, some sloppy ones (especially the last one). :(
Shame she can't draw the likes of Ferro/Bolsova when she gets to those 3R for once.
I too hate watching matches with the shadows. Very tough to watch where the ball lands.

Same 2 trolls in every Maria thread, as always :shrug: :shrug:
Ash to save tennis in next round. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts