Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
The dumbest result of R1? Sveta peaked two weeks early for great Cincy run only to lose against this scrub? So lame! I mean, Ahn had never won GS match before and Sveta destroyed her in DC last year.

Sloane must be laughing her butt off getting 2 byes to open the tournament. Having said that, Sloane also had 2 byes in Toronto and won zero matches there, so we'll see...

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The dumbest result of R1? Sveta peaked two weeks early for great Cincy run only to lose against this scrub? So lame! I mean, Ahn had never won GS match before and Sveta destroyed her in DC last year.

Sloane must be laughing her butt off getting 2 byes to open the tournament. Having said that, Sloane also had 2 byes in Toronto and won zero matches there, so we'll see...
Kuznetsova is not really at liberty to choose when she peaks. She’s just happy to peak at all.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Awesome result. Even years after qualifying here, like the prodigal daughter, Christie comes home to win her first grand slam MD much -ever. Granted, Svetlana didn't appear 100 percent, burt Ahn played a very solid match.

·
Registered
115,567 Posts
If you follow Sveta's career, its not that unusual. Expecting her to hold Cincinnati form was asking too much.
This is Russian womans tennis now, a disaster. Yet there are some good ATP players to watch
The women are such headcases, its hard to rank them in order of choking most

·
Registered
703 Posts
By the way, 7 consecutive Slam losses for Kuznetsova (that is some stat!), so maybe we are over-reacting a bit. Still no excuses for losing to nobody like Ahn. Not even with a minor injury.

·
Registered
Kanepi and Errani Also Putintseva, Flipkens, Sasnovich, Kawa,Podoroska,Bonaventure,Tsurenko,Marino
1,005 Posts

This is absolutely crazy ahn is terrible :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
66,184 Posts
Did you guys even watch the match? :lol: Ahn was insanely good in the last few games that I watched. Definitely a top 5 R1 performance.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
*If* Kristie's body holds up, I expect her to debut in the top 100 by the end of the year. Very strong showing here backing up her nice results this summer.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Did you guys even watch the match? :lol: Ahn was insanely good in the last few games that I watched. Definitely a top 5 R1 performance.
I didn't see it. Just read now that Sveta had to take a medical timeout in the second set, "physio evaluated her hip/lower back area" -- so that explains why she wasn't at her best.

Big congrats to Kristie, though! Big moment for her. :)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
A hot run just to lose in round one.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I saw parts of the second set and, honestly, Ahn looked the better player for most of it.
Kuznetsova made so many mistakes and also had a MTO so she may have been hampered.
She hit a few short angled winners in succession that reminded me what she could do but she couldn't string anything consistent together.
Ahn was doing a good job getting to balls and was quite proactive when she had an opportunity to be aggressive.
It's a shame that Kuzzie couldn't bring her Cinci form to NY.

Congrats to Ahn.
Given how Sloane can be, I wouldn't even say Ahn won't stand a chance against her.
Anyway, she has to beat Kalinskaya first to make the Ahn match happen!

·
Banned
15,175 Posts
As always you only need to want to win to dismiss an obnoxious, grunting pusher. :rolleyes:

How this woman got to Cincy final os beyond me. :weirdo:

Reactions: Tim. and danieln1

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
tbh saw this one coming, it was a surprise seeing Sexlana doing so good so early. rather surprsing Ahn had no GS wins, really deserves one (and more). Was Routliffe coaching her? hope the mics were on lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts