Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,857 Posts
That long 3rd game in the final set was the straw that broke the Bactrian camel's back...

Diyas was never the same again.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Gamewise she had some problems, but mentally this was very convincing. She stayed calm, clutch and composed.
Its so fast over in womens tennis when you a face a good opponents in early rounds and you are not playing well -
1hour can be enough. Barty turned around that match. And she will be Number 1 after this tournament again.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Less said about that first set the better.

She hasn't been in convincing form since Birmingham but it's another match that she's battled through.

She's in a nice section of the draw but there's a lot of improvement needed.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I was worried after that terrible first set but she's utilising that new mental strength of hers to win matches while playing ugly. Let's go Barty keep building up the momentum! :cheer:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,019 Posts
Let's pretend that 1st set never happened. :eek:h:

Seriously, it showed Ash's resilience, mental toughness and awareness that she was able to turn this match around from a pretty abysmal start. She served very well the last two sets and that was important. And on the ground she showed a little more patience too, and that was also important. Obviously Ash will have to improve as the tournament goes on but there is no reason she can't. Look at how she was able to improve in this match.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Lucky she was playing Dizas and not Yastremka.
Got to clean up her game is she wants to go deep in the draw.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Zarina looks very nice blonde.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Lucky she was playing Dizas and not Yastremka.
Since Zarina won the first set by keeping the ball in play not necessarily.:eek:h:

But every slam run contains poor performances. Ash is in a nice section of the draw so she will be hoping she has got hers over with.:)

Even though it had faded by the end Zarina came out hitting with confidence. Hopefully she can do that again in Asia and get some more wins.:yeah:

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Did she gain a little weight? She looked a bit bigger today.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
As I said on another thread, for whatever reason the American tournaments Ash plays poorly in.

Yes she won Miami, but that seems like an outlier.

Perhaps because she plays her forehands with a lot of spin, it sits up to attack on these courts unlike in Australia where they jump high and in Asia where courts are quicker.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
How would you call losing the opener to make it 132? Perhaps, an 'up-n-downhiller'?

Is Barty to compete with Andreescu for the 3-setters queen nomenee this year or just playing it into form because of Serena in her section?

I gotta say she was pretty solid in the decider. I even liked it which is unusual. That variation of depth she was going for, it looked good and mature to make a statement she could dominate the tour when it's perfected in full.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Barty had her cup of coffee at #1 and looks like she didn't like it, doubt she will make the 2nd week here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts