Tennis Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You’d think that people on a tennis forum would know the basic rules of the game.

The point is replayed if the player makes the return, regardless of when the call came.

The point is also replayed if the call affects the players’ return.

OTOH

The point is awarded if the opponent did not make the return AND the call was late.

It’s really that SIMPLE.

But given that Konta is one of the most entitled brats on tour, she argued that on the first occasion the call affected her return (which is false, because it was a late call) and on the second occasion that Kasatkina missed her return (she didn’t).

There is no inconsistency.
IIRC, I think there was an incorrect overrule.
I can understand why Konta was annoyed.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
IIRC, I think there was an incorrect overrule.
I can understand why Konta was annoyed.
But she wasn’t annoyed about the umpire’s bad line-call. She was annoyed that she wasn’t given the point. And I repeat: Kasatkina made the return.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very bad showing from kasatkina which is the least surprising thing of 2019. Serve was a joke and she didn’t go for anything at the baseline.. well done jo keep pushing for the Brits!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Good win for Jo, but she really should have won in 2. Poor Dasha is a bit of a mess right now. Her serve is a liability and has to be a priority.
Konta is striking the ball pretty sweetly but I do worry about the way she deals with adversity. Yes, some poor line calling. Not sure I’ve seen a match with as many over rules - not always correct! Jo rarely won the following points and got stroppy quite quickly. Still, she’s got a good chance for a little run here.
Just a side point and a bit off topic, but you know how some people look tall and some don’t. Always have to remind myself not to be surprised when 5’11” pops up for Konta. Ditto Kiki Bertens being 6’0, whereas the also 6’0 Kvitova always LOOKS tall. Must be limbs to torso ratio - Petra has long legs and a short body? Jo and Kiki more balanced? Not sure .. or maybe it’s just me?
I think it's just the limb/body ratio and the width of the build. Kvitova has long, quite slim legs and narrowish shoulders, as does Pliskova who always looks incredibly long to me. Bertens looks a broader, heavier build in general. Konta has got longish legs but they're more muscled than Petra's.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Kasatkina really needed that win against Andreescu in Canada for her confidence. She let the crowd and Bianca's injury antics get to her.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Seed half the field, top 64 players.
Another match where two stars in the top 64, 14 and 42, play each other in the 1st round of a Grand Slam,
while there are so many players ranked outside the top 80 playing each other.
This is nonsense and needs to stop now.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Jo peaking for the USO? Is it a joke or it's just a soft draw with Darya gone mental according to the interview she had in May when she said she visited a shrink?! That look on Kasatkina's face she's been wearing since post-Wimbledon, well, it's just tragic, I mean, really tragic, not like she's just out of form and slumping for a while and can't get her shit together, it's something worse. No idea what it might be, tho.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
This was the first tennis match I watched live in my life..so yeah gonna remember this one for a long time...I actually enjoyed it from 2nd set onwards..I thought Dasha started to get more depth on ground strokes from 2nd set onwards and that troubled Konta. Some bad calls and overrules in 2nd set..that crazy Dasha fan though :lol: Jo also had some decent British support.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts