Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, add another Grand Slam to Nadal and any female player willing to play three hours from the baseline in order to win a match. It diminishes the fast first serve followed by the immediate hard hit forehand down the line. We might as well just change it to clay and if you want to see how the matches will be played just u-tube any grand slam singles finals, except Wimbledon. Who knows, we might see a lot more players retuning from retirement. <g>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, add another Grand Slam to Nadal and any female player willing to play three hours from the baseline in order to win a match. It diminishes the fast first serve followed by the immediate hard hit forehand down the line. We might as well just change it to clay and if you want to see how the matches will be played just u-tube any grand slam singles finals, except Wimbledon. Who knows, we might see a lot more players retuning from retirement. <g>
Didn't Federer and Barty win Miami last year?

·
Registered
53,469 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Nothing new for the US Open
Originally the USO was played on grass. Then they switched to green clay as the male players destroyed the grass.
In 1978 the USO again switched, this time to concrete.
Jimmy Connors won the USO on all three surfaces.... grass in '74, dirt in '76 and concrete in '78,'82,'83.

·
Registered
113,198 Posts
The USTA could move it to IW or Miami and play it after the French Open in October.
Wimbledon is grass, so I dont know if they have an extreme way to have it, unless its during summer

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Many have thought that AO sped up the courts to try and get Federer another slam. Impossible to know if that’s true or not but given the preferential treatment he always gets at AO it wouldn’t surprise me. Before that the courts were much slower than the USO, maybe the conditions and balls were faster though. Now they’ve slowed them again, although the USO has definitely slowed theirs so it’s hard to know which courts play faster

The USO is not going ahead in New York this year with the way Corona is sweeping through the city. Surely if it’s played at all it will be, ironically enough, at Indian Wells.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Many have thought that AO sped up the courts to try and get Federer another slam. Impossible to know if that’s true or not but given the preferential treatment he always gets at AO it wouldn’t surprise me. Before that the courts were much slower than the USO, maybe the conditions and balls were faster though. Now they’ve slowed them again, although the USO has definitely slowed theirs so it’s hard to know which courts play faster

The USO is not going ahead in New York this year with the way Corona is sweeping through the city. Surely if it’s played at all it will be, ironically enough, at Indian Wells.
If that's true why were the slow to begin with and why are they slowing down again?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Though the first place hit hard is the first place to recover as the level of immunity rises.

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
If that's true why were the slow to begin with and why are they slowing down again?
Well there's a big difference between preferential treatment and changing an entire tournament's surface for one player. The AO was always the slower hard-court slam, as for them slowing it down again there were probably a variety of other objectives they wanted to achieve. I'm not saying that is the definitive reason, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it played a role.

Though the first place hit hard is the first place to recover as the level of immunity rises.
True but New York is such a huge centre that they're going to have large amounts of new infections as soon as they open the city again to International business people and tourists. More than 500000 Finance workers, one of the most internationally mobile industries, live there. Immunity for a population of 10+ Million and to all those who visit it is not something that will realistically be sorted in the next four months given the city isn't even close to hitting its peak.

·
Registered
113,198 Posts
Djokovic loves slow hard court so they arent changing it just for Nadal. Remember that Nole was injured last US Open and that crowd booed him loud for stopping.
Those 2 win every major anyway

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Here in Montreal where the Rogers Cup is held, they've completely destroyed the concrete courts to replace it with asphalt. I saw the steamrollers in mid November compressing the fresh asphalt.
I guess in Flushing Meadows they should have the same surface, as for all the US Open Series events.

·
Registered
21,819 Posts
what does all that gobbledygook mean.

if it means it's going to be as boring as shit to watch, then no thanks. i also love how it says it's comes with the strongest environmental credentials in the industry, jesus christ. what's that got to do with hitting a tennis ball.

i don't want to see anymore claycourt tennis on hardcourts please. think of the players and spectators.

we just need a fair court for everyone concerned.

and for those people who have far more knowledge on tennis courts, and tennis court speeds than i do, what is wrong with the current u.s. open courts.
have players complained about them.
No, but this means Ashe will be super slow. Outer courts will still be a decent speed.

On a more general note, funny how people are complaining that this is as slow as Miami, but the defending champions of Miami are both power players.

·
Registered
21,819 Posts
Trump wants to open the US economy in a few weeks, so its certainly possible there is sports by August. Not sure about crowds, but should have sports
We have the most cases, are coming up on a shortage of equipment and the city is a ghost town. They'll NEVER hold the Open without fans. NEVER.

·
Registered
21,819 Posts
Hmmm.

If they're in a state to hold the US Open 2020, I'll be so overjoyed, I won't care if they hold it on cracked gravelly termac with weeds growing through it, like our local park.
The governor has said the worst is yet to come here, so it's looking doubtful even if they say otherwise.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts