Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wtf kinda bs statement did I just read? It has a "vapor barrier"... like Teflon? Did they line it with Teflon?? Can we fry an egg on it? That is the biggest fluff of corporate bs speak that I've come across... But what does that actually mean in terms of play?? Is it a fast or slow court? High or low bouncing? Is it good for eggs over easy or is it better scrambled?

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
Funny: I was looking for Miami highlights yesterday for the Miami thread, and just gave up, judging the surface sucks. :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
what does all that gobbledygook mean.

if it means it's going to be as boring as shit to watch, then no thanks. i also love how it says it's comes with the strongest environmental credentials in the industry, jesus christ. what's that got to do with hitting a tennis ball.

i don't want to see anymore claycourt tennis on hardcourts please. think of the players and spectators.

we just need a fair court for everyone concerned.

and for those people who have far more knowledge on tennis courts, and tennis court speeds than i do, what is wrong with the current u.s. open courts.
have players complained about them.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
Trump wants to open the US economy in a few weeks, so its certainly possible there is sports by August. Not sure about crowds, but should have sports

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
and for those people who have far more knowledge on tennis courts, and tennis court speeds than i do, what is wrong with the current u.s. open courts.
have players complained about them.
US Open was already slow, even the organization admitted 2 years ago surface was slowed down purposely

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Does anyone know the surface used up until 2004? It was all green and played fast? I wish they would just bring it back. We need court distinctions, everything is so damn slow now.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Does anyone know the surface used up until 2004? It was all green and played fast? I wish they would just bring it back. We need court distinctions, everything is so damn slow now.
Same surface since 1978.
Only the color inside the lines was changed to blue in 2005.
However, the speed was definitely in gradual decline over the years.
It would really suck if the new surface has the same speed of Miami which is probably as slow as some clay courts.
I think all hard courts during second half of the season should be played with medium to fast speed.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
It's obvious that the USO has slowed its courts down in the last 15 years or so. But did AO actually speed its courts up?

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Same surface since 1978.
Only the color inside the lines was changed to blue in 2005.
However, the speed was definitely in gradual decline over the years.
It would really suck if the new surface has the same speed of Miami which is probably as slow as some clay courts.
I think all hard courts during second half of the season should be played with medium to fast speed.

Miami I believe is actually slower than many clay courts. But higher humidity may influence that.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
It's obvious that the USO has slowed its courts down in the last 15 years or so. But did AO actually speed its courts up?

It was pretty fast in 2017 (the year Vandeweghe made AO SF and Venus lost to Serena in the final). After that they slowed these courts down, and they were as slow as in 2012 for instance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts