Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
SharaFamily
21,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Dreams....far from reality as usual
Actually She did well than AO and Wimbledon especially with the tape on the left wrist (1st time I saw Maria play with a tape on wrist). I think many people in here (include me) still didn't know She played or not played week before US Open.

So R4 is a good result but the problem is how she lost it. It all the same, from her face/attitude to her game (lost to KErber, Muguruza).

Maria really needs to put 100% her mind on this game, to figure out what should she do. Call it a year and come back next year.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Actually She did well than AO and Wimbledon especially with the tape on the left wrist (1st time I saw Maria play with a tape on wrist). I think many people in here (include me) still didn't know She played or not played week before US Open.

So R4 is a good result but the problem is how she lost it. It all the same, from her face/attitude to her game (lost to KErber, Muguruza).

Maria really needs to put 100% her mind on this game, to figure out what should she do. Call it a year and come back next year.
The main reason she made round 4 was the quality of the opponents she has had to face. IMO beating Sevastova quite easily at the AO was a better achievement than anything she did at the USO. Ostapenko was just awful, let's face it.

If she doesn't play the rest of the year or plays very little it won't be good for her.
If she plays her full schedule the rest of the year and does poorly it won't be good for her confidence either.
It is quite a conondrum. If I were in her shoes I wouldn't know what to do either. I'd probably retire, unfortunately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feel sad now when I watch Maria play because it feels inevitable that this is the beginning of the end. If she plays next year I think it will almost definitely be her last.

I agree with the comments on the match, I think it was both mental and physical but I think the two are linked. The match against CSN was one where match play really mattered, because CSN can rally, and Maria needs the match play to be confident in playing those kind of long rallies. Her body isn’t allowing her to play enough matches to build the considntency needed against that type of opponent.

One thing that really stands out for me in Maria’s game now is the lack of willingness to come forward. I’ve been watching Maria since 2006 & I think people forget how much of a BOSS she used to be at ending the point with drive volleys. The match against Clijsters at AO 2007 springs to mind, she just took absolutely everything out the air. She just doesn’t have that confidence anymore.

I just want to try and appreciate every time she is on the court because she is still the player and fighter I fell in love with, and I personally feel like she is sad that she can’t perform at the way she knows she should be able to.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I feel sad now when I watch Maria play because it feels inevitable that this is the beginning of the end. If she plays next year I think it will almost definitely be her last.

I agree with the comments on the match, I think it was both mental and physical but I think the two are linked. The match against CSN was one where match play really mattered, because CSN can rally, and Maria needs the match play to be confident in playing those kind of long rallies. Her body isn’t allowing her to play enough matches to build the considntency needed against that type of opponent.

One thing that really stands out for me in Maria’s game now is the lack of willingness to come forward. I’ve been watching Maria since 2006 & I think people forget how much of a BOSS she used to be at ending the point with drive volleys. The match against Clijsters at AO 2007 springs to mind, she just took absolutely everything out the air. She just doesn’t have that confidence anymore.

I just want to try and appreciate every time she is on the court because she is still the player and fighter I fell in love with, and I personally feel like she is sad that she can’t perform at the way she knows she should be able to.
She has trouble coming forward because the quality of opponent she faces now is better than before, and she is not getting any punch on her first strike or serve like she did back then. Case in point, the last match, she used to bully CSN around, but CSN has improved so much that maria cannot control her as much anymore. So in general she is not putting most of today's players on the defensive. It is hard to come to the net if you can't force your opponent into a short ball or defensive situation.

To me Maria's decline started right around the time she hired and fired Jimmy Connors. She was aware that she needed to add a new dimension to her game and that is why she brought him aboard. Unfortunately they didn't see eye to eye and they separated before he had time to do anything with her. But if I remember properly rumor had it was his plan to make her a more attacking player, improve her volley, approach shots etc...

It's been how many years and she still has not improved those things. Of course the ban did not help her at all, but you'd think she would have added something to her game in that time she was off. She really hasn't. She is the same player she was before, just even slower and lacks confidence particularly in her serving.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Why are so many of you always to quick to ask Maria to retire?
Is she personally hurting or offending you by playing?
Are you all such quitters in your own lives as well when things aren't going your way?

If Maria were truly healthy and having these results it might be time to consider it, but that's not the case.
So the question should be whether or not she can even get healthy any more. If she can't, again, it might be time to consider it.
We don't know her health situation, unfortunately, so we can only speculate.
I at least applaud her for trying her best.

Now that her season is all but over Maria should really consider her options.
Not just looking at her recovery, but also at her coaching situation and her current game.

Reactions: Crux Squall

·
SharaFamily
21,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
The main reason she made round 4 was the quality of the opponents she has had to face. IMO beating Sevastova quite easily at the AO was a better achievement than anything she did at the USO. Ostapenko was just awful, let's face it.

If she doesn't play the rest of the year or plays very little it won't be good for her.
If she plays her full schedule the rest of the year and does poorly it won't be good for her confidence either.
It is quite a conondrum. If I were in her shoes I wouldn't know what to do either. I'd probably retire, unfortunately.
Did she had a tape on wrist in AO :confused:

The loss against Kerber was worse than CSN cause Maria was healthy but she didn't even have a chance

Yeah not everyone can fight like Pova, most of people will retire in her situation but That's why I like her. I think the problem here is she's not 100% focus on tennis now, she really needs to push herself harder next year

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I think the problem here is she's not 100% focus on tennis now, she really needs to push herself harder next year
I don't feel she had more off-court activities recently than in her better years. "Not focusing enough on tennis" has long been a cliche in the discussion of her career. I don't know who among the hundreds of professional players are 100% focusing on tennis, who are 90%, who are 70%. Not having a business under your name or a chance to do photo shoots for magazines doesn't necessarily mean you are completely devoting yourself to tennis.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Did she had a tape on wrist in AO :confused:

The loss against Kerber was worse than CSN cause Maria was healthy but she didn't even have a chance

Yeah not everyone can fight like Pova, most of people will retire in her situation but That's why I like her. I think the problem here is she's not 100% focus on tennis now, she really needs to push herself harder next year
How does an injury to your left wrist cause you to double fault so much on your serve if you are a right handed player?
I am not buying that the wrist injury was a major issue. I think it's a nagging injury and she is able to play with it.
Sevastova's level is higher than any of those girls Maria beat at the USO. That is what I meant. Ostapenko was a shell of herself against Maria, and Patty and Cirstea are not good WTA players anymore.
Kerber was obviously much better than CSN obviously, especially the way she was playing at the AO.
Maria didn't double fault as much at the AO either, her serve was much more consistent there.
All in all that is why I would rate her performance at the AO as better than what we saw at this year's USO.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Maria can play. So...as long as she CAN play I don't see her retiring and bowing out without winning a big title out there. Sure, losing to CSN is the worst thing that could have happened to her campaign here, especially on a night match but I just feel that the time will eventually come when she will get her shit together for 7 matches and win herself a slam again. She's way inconsistent as of now to do so though but with time, I can see her pulling such a feat out. She'd be stupid if she didn't think the same way as well. I guess the clay season is where he best shot is at so we'll probably have to wait till then to have her win big again.

As far as the final tomorrow is concerned, I'm rooting for Osaka to win. She's such a breath of fresh air, the tour needs her to do well and what better way for her name to get catapulted to the heights of WTA than to win her first slam by beating Serena in the final. Go Osaka :cheer:

·
Registered
27,027 Posts

2020. That's the year she'll announce as her last one on the tour.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Had Li Na, Bartoli, Pennetta and La Borz decided to retire when they considered it seriously for the first time, they would't have a chance to be remembered as slam champions. No one remembers the many humiliating losses they suffered in their worst years.

Considering the unpredictability of the situation in women tennis, the decision to prolong her career in order to have more shots at slams is reasonable, not very much emotional.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Not. Even. Close. Beating Sevastova in this kind of fashion should be considered as routine way, not something exceptional. Ostapenko, on the other hand, despite awful serving, is capable of bossing around every single player from the ground, because she does not is only excellent ball striker, but also is excellent at redirecting pase even when stretched wide. So you need to eat her alive from the very first strike, and that's that she did. Her return strategy won her this match, and even patterns from the ground were not that bad either, as a consequence. This is what modern game is about, and this is what her game should be about - earning your time.

Her problem is her health, and it's only that. She literally proves this every day, in every match. Her alleged mental problem is not the source of the problem, it's the consequence of her problems. That forearm issue is not going anywhere, it seems, but also just resting and rehabbing does not have long term effects either. And until she take care of it, fully, her changes to go inside top20, then top10, top5, etc are small. Not because she doesn't have level, it's because her body does not cooperate with level she's capable to display - it hinders her.

I say again, I have no doubt she has the level to compete for the highest prizes. The fact remains that she is #22 in the world, with 15 tournaments counting to her ranking - only two players in top100 have less - Williams sisters. And among those 15 tournaments, 5 are actual first round loses, so only 23 points from those. To simplify things, pretty much she's top20 player with 10 tournaments played. When you have in mind that she actually plays with shaky serve, and not quite okay forearm/wrist, that changes perspective.

What actually starts worry me is her complaining about transition between surfaces and balls. Considering her problems with forearm/wrist, this may add salt to the wound. This is why being careful with schedule is a good choice. It also explains her withdrawal from Cincy - they are using different balls that in Canada. Nadal cited rest as a reason of withdrawal from Cincy, but he also benefited from that one in this regard. Also transition from clay to grass - Wimbledon made heavier balls this year, so as US Open. Tennis is crazy with different balls around different tournaments, especially with changes week by week.

Because of that, it makes sense to limit schedule, even if that means limited chance to build momentum she would thrive on. At the same time, I have no doubt that as soon as she catches some wins, she will grow immediately in confidence. She doesn't need much, considering how she behaves and how she plays when nothing bothers her. Sure, her first rounds, especially at slams in recent time, are messy and nervy because of that, because she doesn't know where she is, but if she's capable of progressing further, she will grow. Just observe her how she behaves when she's capable of imposing herself on the opponent, with her game, with her attitude, with her focus, with her aggressive ballstriking, with her intent on returning, and finally, with her tactic. But as soon as her problems reappear, she's not there - it becomes a survival, so she rushes things, flattens the hell her ball out, and plays brand of tennis baseball players would be proud of, and it has exactly the reverse effect. Playing through the pain is a tough task, and everybody has its limits.

I'll say once again, her being near top20 with amount of matches she plays in last two seasons, level she displays, and some of the wins she noted this year - it's a miracle. Others are experiencing 15 match loses streaks or are dropping out of top400. Be grateful. She's making most of circumstances, if not even more than that. And with tour still being inconsistent, the opportunities will be there, but admittedly, some match-ups won't be as easy as they were in the past.

·
Registered
13,255 Posts
I feel so sad for Naomi. She's crying and feeling sad even after winning her first GS final playing Serena, which is her dream. She's such a sweet girl and doesn't deserve any of this at all.

I wouldn't mind Serena winning and making history, but her behavior today was embarrassing. This was probably worse than 2009 vs Clijsters. The camera did catch Patrick coaching, and it was his fault. But it's part of the rules that the players are penalized, unfortunately. But the point penalty after her second violation was fair. And she should have let it go after that instead of making it worse which led to the third violation.

EDIT: The crowd is pathetic for booing and further ruining her moment and well-deserved glory.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The fact that her opponent was an Asian and the referee seemed to be a Latino made it impossible for American media to blame her own pathetic behavior on racism and white privilege, but somehow she found a way to play victim:

The logic here is that some other thieves weren't caught and punished, so this one should get away with it too.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Osako would have won without the drama. Serena just cannot stand that she has lost twice in a row to a upcoming star. I remember the shade thrown at Maria when Osako beat her at IW. Well, we see why Serena chickened out at RG. She knew Maria would beat her.

201 - 220 of 238 Posts