Tennis Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
SharaFamily
21,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
The way she play make me sad more than the result. Where are her fighting spirit, the chance at GS are less and lesser but she did't respect it enough. Kerber, Muguruza, CSN look at her face, can't see any fighting spirit

Call it a year and rest both the arm please

·
SharaFamily
21,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
And wtf is those endless shot on middle court. I know she won't hit corner cause CSN can use it as advantage but endless shot on middle court is not her game. Her return of serve in this match is bad too

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
Look it was different when she returned after injury in 2008 because she was young, motivated and still had raw ball striking talent. I get she's almost chained into not retiring because she wants to prove to the world that she can compete and win big post ban, but she's got a Tianjin*title and a slam QF to show for it. It's just not good enough. She can't play enough matches because she injures herself, which prevents her from practising. She thrives off momentum which she only experienced during the clay season this year. I never expect much from her at the USO, but she's quickly running out of time. Not sure what else to say really.

·
Milk and honey
3,273 Posts
Pretty much agree with @Cosmic Voices.

Maria showed today that she hasn't got the mentality to win big anymore. She knew that this half was (to an extent) wide open and that if she played well she had a chance of getting through it. This clearly messed her up in the head because she could barely find the court today after flopping the chance for the early 2-0 lead. You could just tell at the end she was kinda desperate, the cherry on top of the cake was not even giving CSN a chance to choke serving for the match because she undoubtedly would've.

I hope Maria can stay as healthy as possible in 2019 because Clay is her only chance of major success now, whether it be a slam, PM or a P5. Appreciate that she's still giving it everything but until she sees a shrink and sorts her mental issues out she's never going to be a force anymore, given that a lot of girls don't even fear her anymore.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
better moving players win
she has to serve like Isner and kill with ROS to have a chance
ain't gonna happen
she is not winning GS titles or any title
what is the point

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
Yeah, like I said in a previous post, Maria was making too many errors in previous matches to win this one.

This is the perfect time to reevaluate what she wants to do with her remaining time left on tour. If surgery is an option she should consider it.
Rest doesn't seem to help her much. She's not going to be seeded for the AO anyway, so she might as well skip the rest of the HC season and try and come back strong for clay next year.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that she will find motivation again for next year.
Her comeback was kind of a failure, and we can blame many factors (her mentality, the injuries, etc etc), but the reality doesn't change. Off-season will mean additional months without proper games and possibility to enjoy other things in life. I would be surprised to find a motivated Masha next year. And this is more being realistic rather than dramatic.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Considering all circumstances she was better last year. This season she played one only great tournament where she showed a top player's material, good also in Madrid, then basically the real shit, when she lose she lose in badly way and this is the worst thing. Thinking that Suarez lost even to Shadowrenka few weeks ago and she struggled to Gibbs and Mladenovic in this tournament...Disappointed, extremely dissapointed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that she will find motivation again for next year.
Her comeback was kind of a failure, and we can blame many factors (her mentality, the injuries, etc etc), but the reality doesn't change. Off-season will mean additional months without proper games and possibility to enjoy other things in life. I would be surprised to find a motivated Masha next year. And this is more being realistic rather than dramatic.
If it wasn't for the bullshit "doping" charges they brought on her she would probably have already call it quit. Her injuries and physical problems were well known before 2016. But now because she is stubborn and has something to prove she keeps on playing as a shadow of herself. She should ride into the sunset and become a socialite with her BF, spamming her IG with pretentious art and exciting millionaire vacations.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
If it wasn't for the bullshit "doping" charges they brought on her she would probably have already call it quit. Her injuries and physical problems were well known before 2016. But now because she is stubborn and has something to prove she keeps on playing as a shadow of herself. She should ride into the sunset and become a socialite with her BF, spamming her IG with pretentious art and exciting millionaire vacations.

A bit harsh but quite true

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Sounds like it's better I was too tired to watch this one. Really thought she might pull herself together and deliver in this match, but hollow dreams those would prove to be :tears: A missed opportunity for sure. I mean it's not like she was gonna win it, but another Slam QF at least would've been nice (plus I think Keys' game suits her enough for her to have a good chance to win).

I don't really know what to say, except that it's kind of sad and frustrating to watch Maria eventually be dragged every time she plays a tournament. Losing to Kerber, Muguruza and CSN at Slams with listless performances is just not who she is, or rather who she is supposed to be. The ban took it's toll for sure, but I have to admit I was expecting more in terms of mentality from her in this comeback. Yes, we've seen flashes of brilliance and her old self, but defeats like this sounds to have been always leave a very bitter taste in my mouth. Losses I can deal with, but watching Maria without any real fire in her, not really. I know she's too stubborn to call it quits now, but I don't really know what more can be done when her body seems to be failing her big time, probably causing it's fair share of mental problems as well. Not to sound ungrateful, I'm thankful to her that she still wants to play, but there's just something missing, and to me more often than not it looks like torture for all the parties involved.

Oh and what pissed me off the most: bye bye perfect night record :sobbing:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
She has only three tournaments left: Beijing, Tianjin, Moscow. This could be her first full season without winning a title.

Another thing: next year, grand slams will return to 16 seeds. She's about 800 points from no.16 right now, so it's a pretty sure thing she'll be unseeded again in 2019 AO.
I read somewhere on Twitter that they gave up on the idea of 16-seed draw. Not sure though.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
She's not being stubborn, she just has no delusion about people's perception of her legacy. Of course fans will like her as before regardless of whether she can win big titles again, but it would be short-sighted for her to think like fans, because there are far more people who are not her fans and their opinion therefore matters more. You can even say that primarily, she's not playing for us now, but for herself, and for those who will judge her after reading a few lines on her wiki page.

·
Registered
611 Posts
IMO it all starts with her serving. As a tennis player if you cannot hold serve at a high percentage the rest of your game falls off. And for her it is match after match that she cannot hold serve with any consistency. Even when she wins, her serve gets abused. Yes, the forehand was pretty bad yesterday, and she did not do enough while returning serves, but it is due to a lack of confidence stemming from her not being able to hold serve.

I saw some bright moments in the second set where she started hitting some kick serves to the corners that were very effective, but her next shot just was not good enough. IMO she should use the kick serve more often and on her first serve. Her serve as it is now is too predictable, it's most of the time a slice serve out wide and you can tell players are waiting to pounce on it. You are 6'2" god dammit, you should be owning people on serve.

With that said, I dont' see how she is going to make it back to the top of the game or even win any important tournament. I'm not sure she even wants to. I think there is some stubborness, where there are obvious weaknesses in her game that she has refused or failed to improve over the years. And now it's catching up with her. Simply hitting powerful drives from the baseline is not enough to be at the top the game anymore, because even little CSN can handle that now. She needs to realize that.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If she doesn't play any more tournaments this year it will be because of injury and/or low motivation. Unless she was injured, Maria has always gone to Asia to play the tournaments after the US Open.

There have been only two times when I have mulled over her retiring and that was after her 1st round here (mainly because of how she played plus she didn't look happy after the win, just relief) and after yesterday. I think she is in a no win situation with the wrist (which I think is the issue, not forearm), she has had this injury for over 3 years now and nothing she done has worked. She can't schedule properly because of it and she needs matches to get into a rhythm. She either doesn't want surgery or it's not an option or there are risks.

So what is she to do now? Just carry on and hoping for the best?

I hate to say this but she might just be happier letting go :(

181 - 200 of 238 Posts