Tennis Forum banner

2221 - 2239 of 2239 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just an update on the race. Whilst Svitolina hasn’t overtaken Serena just yet she basically will. Only needs 1 more win in Beijing to do so and she is playing Moscow.

As for Bencic we really needed Venus to beat her. That said if Kvitová can beat her then she can’t overtake Serena even if she wins Linz. She would be on 3930 with a title in Linz and Serena would be on 3935. Of course I’m sure she would take a wildcard to Moscow if that is the case.

For Bertens if she lost now in Beijing and won Moscow she would be on 3890 so essentially we need both to loose their next rounds and hope they don’t enter other tournaments for Serena to stand a chance.

This is all assuming Serena even plays YEC although Patrick did say if Serena were to qualify she would play but who really knows.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I mean she had a lot of chances to put that match away.

I personally think Andreescu is better mentally while Osaka has the better game. It could be a good rivalry.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So annoyingly Bertens beat Svitolina. If she beats Barty and makes the final she will move ahead of Serena. If she looses her Semi then she has to make the final of Moscow to qualify.

Apparently Bencic can’t get a wild card for Moscow meaning she is out of the race and it simply comes down to the above scenario as to wether Serena qualifies or not. So basically we all need to hope Bertens looses against Barty or it’s over.

Again this is all assuming Serena would even play but she would be silly not to.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I’m being a masochist tonight and looking back at all of her finals losses. Stunningly, she didn’t look that bad in her Kerber Wimbledon loss. She looked like she was not physically ready for that matchup, but she didn’t look as overwhelmed and deer in headlights as she has in the other three.

It’s crazy to think that she’s in a worse spot now, after losing four GS finals, then if she were to lose all those before the QFs. I think she still has the pressure of being a front runner and has the added pressure of winning 24. Had she lost before the QFs of all of those, she’d be an underdog and likely wouldn’t feel as nervous since she wouldn’t be pegged to win. Grrrr hope she turns it around next year.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I’m being a masochist tonight and looking back at all of her finals losses. Stunningly, she didn’t look that bad in her Kerber Wimbledon loss. She looked like she was not physically ready for that matchup, but she didn’t look as overwhelmed and deer in headlights as she has in the other three.

It’s crazy to think that she’s in a worse spot now, after losing four GS finals, then if she were to lose all those before the QFs. I think she still has the pressure of being a front runner and has the added pressure of winning 24. Had she lost before the QFs of all of those, she’d be an underdog and likely wouldn’t feel as nervous since she wouldn’t be pegged to win. Grrrr hope she turns it around next year.

I hope next year nobody will expect Serena to win anything. That may change her mindset to “prove them wrong” instead of “must live up to expectations”. I’m hoping the narrative becomes she’s not good enough anymore. I think she’ll perform better under those circumstances.

Put the pressure and expectations on Bianca, Osaka, Barty, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
No surprise that after that, she’s been 2-8 in slam finals. Reducing her schedule is fine, but taking four months off from competitive tennis is ridiculous.
I actually agree. I think not playing events after USO was a mistake. There seemed to be nothing wrong with her psychically. Just didnt want to do it.

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
I was counting from the first time she skipped the YEC (2015). From then on she’s been 2-8.
2-6. Or 2/8 if you want to express her hit rate. I doubt there's much causality there though, until recently. I mean she won the AO the second year she did it and should have/almost won in 2016. It's definitely starting to become a factor though the past year or two.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
All these numbers talk made me realize she went from 22-4 to 23-10 in slam finals... 23-10 isn't bad at all, but 22-4 was just ridiculous.
That hurts the most. And two of those 4 losses came from Venus, so she had only ever lost to two other people in that 22-4 span. She was literally invincible.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That big ass 10 just hurts my heart.
This :sobbing:

Never in my wildest nightmares did I think she would ever get to 10 lost slam finals. Only two male and four female players have lost 10 finals in slams in history :sobbing: (Federer, Lendl, Navratilova, Evert and Goolagong).

2221 - 2239 of 2239 Posts