Tennis Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2239 Posts

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Moscow and Linz.

I am team Serena playing in Europe. She could use Paris as a base to get to those places, be at Patrick's academy or at the indoor courts at Roland Garros.

She could then work on her serve even more than before! Then go back in November and December and train hard in Florida with Mackie and get into the best shape she could be in Australia.

Then she could decide to play Brisbane or Sydney or whatever is happening there. Auckland. Sure. The point is that she needs to convert a final at a lower level before converting a Slam final. If she can't win Moscow or Linz or Auckland, then she we know her nerves are just so shot that a slam final needs to have Sharapova or Errani on the other side of the net.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Serena would definitely play more events if she wasn't injury prone but I remember her revealing at Wimbledon that she was relieved to finally be able to play pain free instead of going to treatment after every match only to feel 50% less pain. I really don't think people realize how much pain Serena was in trying to make this comeback.
She said something in her Wimbledon finals presser that made my ears perk up. She said " Seems like every Grand Slam final I'm in recently has been an unbelievable effort to get there. It would be interesting to see how it would be under different circumstances." It seemed crazy at the time, as she made those final runs look pretty easy. I think she was going through it. I think that's why the US Open loss this year hurt. It was different circumstances. She was feeling herself and feeling healthy. I think because she lost while healthy, it made her realize, oh shit....what if those other final losses weren't asterisked?

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
you can't say she gets easy opponents. Almost everyone is easy against all time greats :shrug: federer, nadal, djokovic all seem like they get easy draws because they're just that good. Serena played well all USO barring the final for reasons we all know, but let's not act like she played like crap the entire tournament and BSed her way to the final. We were all hopeful that she would keep up her high level for a final for the first time in her comeback. To act like she didn't play well is revisionist history based on the hurt felt over a poorly played and lost final. Her feet were moving, she was working her angles and opening the court, she had her controlled aggression game back and was pretty damned impressive. I get disappointment, but you're beginning to sound like her biggest haters in GM with the "easy opponents" "weak era" tropes used to discredit every single Serena GS title.

And let's not act like Megan is fair weather. Beyawnsay doesn't show up for every match or even every final. Neither does Ciara. Neither does Kim K. Karolina W doesn't even come show her support. That isn't the true measure of their relationships and as a professional myself, I can't be at everything my friends do. We have no idea the love and support they send her before and after each match and therefore it isn't for you to say she's fair weather.
agree to disagree.....all i hear is excuses.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Girl you are delusional. Serena feels the pressure when she’s on the verge of tying these records. Do you not remember the lead up to 18 and 22.

If anything, you’re a fair-weather fan with all the negativity you’ve been spewing lately. Serena is progressing each and every time. Nothing good comes easy and she will keep learning from these losses.
i am just stating the obvious......but feel like i'm arguing a lost cause.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Moscow and Linz.

I am team Serena playing in Europe. She could use Paris as a base to get to those places, be at Patrick's academy or at the indoor courts at Roland Garros.

She could then work on her serve even more than before! Then go back in November and December and train hard in Florida with Mackie and get into the best shape she could be in Australia.

Then she could decide to play Brisbane or Sydney or whatever is happening there. Auckland. Sure. The point is that she needs to convert a final at a lower level before converting a Slam final. If she can't win Moscow or Linz or Auckland, then she we know her nerves are just so shot that a slam final needs to have Sharapova or Errani on the other side of the net.
Serena is not a friend of being in Europe long time..she said that many times ( a reason why she didn´t play Stuttgart)..don´t think she will change her mind now with her child..

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Is Serena going to play Beijing/YEC? Or is she expecting to waltz straight to the Australian Open title without any match play?

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Is Serena going to play Beijing/YEC? Or is she expecting to waltz straight to the Australian Open title without any match play?
She will play Auckland...:secret:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
You mean play one match followed by a “precautionary withdrawal” :lol:
Like always :shrug: for Serena only Slam counts. Hope she will get that damn #24 2020 somehow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps Venus playing the Asia swing might motivate Serena. No doubt the girl needs the match play and doesn’t need to go another long stretch with no momentum. Plus like others have said all the girls who have beaten her will be there so what better way to get familiar with their games and have no pressure than here. Also will give her ranking a huge boost and almost guarantee her a top 8 seeding at the slams.

That being said if it wasn’t for the pressure we all know Serena would have beaten both Osaka and Andreescu.

Plus doesn’t Serena normally announce after the US Open that she is out for the rest of the year? This hasn’t happened yet. Fingers crossed. She really would be foolish not to try and qualify.

Unless of course her body won’t let her then it’s totally understandable

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Moscow and Linz.

Then she could decide to play Brisbane or Sydney or whatever is happening there. Auckland. Sure. The point is that she needs to convert a final at a lower level before converting a Slam final. If she can't win Moscow or Linz or Auckland, then she/we know her nerves are just so shot that a slam final needs to have Sharapova or Errani on the other side of the net.
She ain't doing any of that. We all know it's gonna be a couple of rds in Auckland, a marathon practice session the night before, and a needless 3-setter in the second rd.

She said something in her Wimbledon finals presser that made my ears perk up. She said " Seems like every Grand Slam final I'm in recently has been an unbelievable effort to get there. It would be interesting to see how it would be under different circumstances." It seemed crazy at the time, as she made those final runs look pretty easy. I think she was going through it. I think that's why the US Open loss this year hurt. It was different circumstances. She was feeling herself and feeling healthy. I think because she lost while healthy, it made her realize, oh shit....what if those other final losses weren't asterisked?
It's only a monumental chore because she's effectively cramming months of study and match prep into 2 or 3 practice sessions and R1/R2. Whereas Andreescu, Osaka, etc are all studying every single night. Serena's a genius but that doesn't translate if she loses all of her swagger and panics by Q3 because she was asked questions in a way she wasn't used to.

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
yea you could feel her hurt too. It seemed like what you said is exactly how she processed it. There was no talk about "there was nothing I could do", "she just played better". Hopefully it sparks something in her mind.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's only a monumental chore because she's effectively cramming months of study and match prep into 2 or 3 practice sessions and R1/R2. Whereas Andreescu, Osaka, etc are all studying every single night. Serena's a genius but that doesn't translate if she loses all of her swagger and panics by Q3 because she was asked questions in a way she wasn't used to.
Perfectly framed.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
God I’m having such bad withdrawals. Can this bish just randomly show up somewhere so I can root for her already...

Omg a thought just passed through my head. What if Serena planned to play until Olympia starts school. That would give us another like 2-3 years

·
Registered
793 Posts
As much as people like to talk about her motivation for coming back being reaching 24, I think she really wants to win something in front of Olympia. Hasn’t she already said that she wants to play until Olympia is able to watch her and understand what is going on? I can’t wait for the moment that she wins another slam and brings Olympia out to celebrate with her. It’s going to happen ?

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
I know you guys didn't seriously get your hopes up for Serena playing in Asia?! :lol: Serena has been resigned to skipping the YEC since May when she committed to headlining that Forbes Summit that's taking place during YEC week. She has no interest in playing the post-USO swing anymore. She's just too diplomatic nowadays to ever publicly admit it. :lol:

The part-time schedule is rough but I don't see it changing. Having a child & a working husband (which most of the recent tennis moms don't have) means that she can't be spontaneous with her schedule anymore.

--

My expectations for Kim's comeback are actually kinda low.... :unsure: I'm sure she'll still be very good, but idk if she can be elite anymore with her declined footspeed and athleticism. She was always very reliant on those two things. I think she can play at a top 20 level & make some strong runs occasionally (like current Venus) but I don't see her contending for slams.

I'm glad that she announced her comeback early though. Hopefully it'll give Serena some motivation when she starts her own offseason training in the last days of November.

--

Golovin's comeback. :inlove: I stanned her as soon as I first saw her @ 2004 Wimbledon vs Serena. I don't see her doing too well (ceiling is probably top 100?) but I hope she proves me wrong. Even if she flops, it'll be nice if she can leave the sport on her own terms this time.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
NOPE, she wasn't going to play in Asia as Pump has always asserted :lol:

One huge KEY for Ree winning 24 & 25--amongst other things--IMHO is if she continues to keep up with her near 2015 body, or if she gains 15-20 lbs. back during her off-season.

IF she watches her weight and comes back looking like or very near this photo shoot below (and maybe a bit leaner):

We'll know she's EXTREMELY engaged, especially with the comebacks of several players who were once her peers (Not saying Medusa's name :lol:).

BUT, if she turns into BuffetRena like on the picture below, or into the African-American Marion (Sorry Marion :hug:) like in this this photo below during her off-season going into Auckland 2020 with so much going on in 2020

Then uh, welp :scared:

2201 - 2220 of 2239 Posts