Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ash Barty (world number one) has already withdrawn from the US Open and the odds of Simona Halep (number two) competing are minimal at best.

Halep is entered into a small European clay court tournament (Prague), will not be playing Cincinnati (New York), is scared of disease and flying, and does not particularly like the US Open even under the best of circumstances.

Assuming Halep withdraws, the 2020 US Open will be the first slam since the 1980 Australian Open to not feature either the number one or number two player in the world. Back in late 1980, Martina Navratilova was in a slump and surprisingly ranked number three in the world when she was the top seed at the Australian Open. She lost in the semifinals.

Elina Svitolina (number five) and Bianca Andreescu (number six) are also question marks. Neither player is scheduled to play Cincinnati (New York).

Svitolina can safely bank her 2019 semifinal points and concentrate on preparing for the French Open. As for Bianca, who the hell knows?

In any event, the top two seeds will likely be Karolina Pliskova and Sofia Kenin.

This slam is WIDE OPEN (paging Serena).

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
This is what you get for laying off 110 employees from your White Plains office just to hold the tournament.

·
Registered
665 Posts
..hey, hey, it's too soon for this conclusion. The things are changing very rapidly, anything is still possible.
If Madrid Premier Mandatory gets canceled, Simona might change her mind regarding the US Open.
After all, she hasn't announced yet that she is not going for sure to the USO, like Ash already announced.
Definitely, Simona would prefer a clay court mini-swing, but if Madrid (and possibly Rome) will get cancelled by the local authorities, she'll resort to the only remaining option, USO, and 2 weeks after that (eventualy) Roland Garros.

Reactions: Masquerader

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
And this is supposed to be surprising? It´s not just the top 2, it´s the top 10, and the whole field and all the draw that will have huge holes. This will be a PM like event at best, played as if it was a slam just to save some money

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
The fact Bianca keeps her points (if true) no matter what, is like a memo sent to her to not bother coming. I'd be much more interested in RG If I were in her shoes. RG is going to be much safer, and she might wanna prove why clay is her preferred surface.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
And this is supposed to be surprising? It´s not just the top 2, it´s the top 10, and the whole field and all the draw that will have huge holes. This will be a PM like event at best, played as if it was a slam just to save some money
Yes , but the “ tournament organize just to save money ” also apply to the French Federation who are being rewarded for their “ bad actions “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It was pointed out on Twitter earlier that the 1977 French Open featured zero top 10 players.

·
Registered
31,588 Posts
If any Slam should be asterisked this one should (if it actually happens which I still doubt).

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
So Barty and Halep are now comparable to Evert and Austin? 🤣 I know that's probably not the intention of the OP but it feels like we're now grasping at straws to try and denigrate the draw. Even if they were in the draw, the Slam would still be wide open (as we saw this year at the AO)... this is the WTA in 2020.

Kenin being one of the top 2 seeds makes me want to puke
Kenin will be the #1 seed at a Slam in the near future. Hope you won't be dead from all the puking you've been doing then.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
I don't get the overreaction. As you have correctly pointed out, this is not unprecedented. The sport has a 100-year-long history and it was faced with many challenges over the years - global crisis, wars, boycots. Grand Slams did not always have the same prestige. Now, after more than 40 years, we get another Grand Slam that is played under difficult circumstances and is not comparable to the others in the last years. But that's just how it is and we have to accept it. We are lucky it took us that long to reach this point again and nothing else occured over all these years. But it's better than nothing. Sometimes I get the impression people prefer the tournament to be cancelled so a player they don't like can't benefit from a weaker draw.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Sorry but this grand slam will not be asterisked. In my opinion, the athletes (male or female) who pull out were not serious contenders any way. Halep never performs well here; she is approaching thirty and may consequently be focusing on the French Open - historically, her best slam. Barty also underperforms at the US Open. And despite being the Word no.1 she is not such a staple at Grand Slams, having only made the QF or better on three occasions. Her absence won’t be missed that much. Andreescu is perpetually injured & hasn’t played competitive tennis in almost a year.

And then there is Kygrios - the ATP tour’s class clown - who announced his withdrawal in the most dramatic and virtue-signalling manner possible. Whoever follows will be in great company I suppose LOL

1 - 20 of 69 Posts