Tennis Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Well, that was abysmal even for my very low standards for this match (the bar was set at 3 games :sobbing: ). As soon as Serena found her groundstrokes, which ofc didn't take long, she was toast. Her movement has visibly deteriorated post-ban, her groundstrokes lack penetrability, speed and precision and her serve is, well, her serve. Not trying to be pessimistic, but it's just her reality at the moment, and I don't see it improving that much, especially if she keeps doing the same things that she has been doing in this stage of her career. If she's enjoying herself, by all means carry on, but she should also remember that a wise person knows when to stop and let something go, especially if she's jeopardizing her health. God knows it was a great career and she has little to regret :shrug:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
What is the definition of insanity again? Something about trying the same thing and expecting a different result......I just don't see a way back for her and I hate it that she is now embarrassing herself every time she steps out against a top player.
As long as she's enjoying her time on court, I dont mind she's making a fool of her self by these defeats though. If she can have one or two big title coming in the future, it's worth the pain. If not, oh well c'est la vie quoi!
If she's enjoying herself, by all means carry on, but she should also remember that a wise person knows when to stop and let something go, especially if she's jeopardizing her health. God knows it was a great career and she has little to regret :shrug:
I think she is much saner and wiser than those fans who want her to call it a career, because she knows it would be far more embarrassing to finish the comeback without a big title than to lose to top players. I don't enjoy many of her matches today, nonetheless I appreciate her almost Sisyphean struggle. It is very doubtful whether she is enjoying herself right now, but I suspect that for her, life is not all about enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Actually, despite the horrendous scoreline and the comments here, I could see some improvements in her game compared to her lackluster performance against Barty in Cincinnati. Return of serve was great when she got to the ball, she read Serena's serve better, she was able to hit goods shots although penetrability could be better, and 1st serve percentage was good, I could see the little change Piatti is working on with a slightly shortened motion. She's a competitor. She's not going anywhere and my feeling is that she's headed the right direction. Just needs matchplay

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I think she is much saner and wiser than those fans who want her to call it a career, because she knows it would be far more embarrassing to finish the comeback without a big title than to lose to top players. I don't enjoy many of her matches today, nonetheless I appreciate her almost Sisyphean struggle. It is very doubtful whether she is enjoying herself right now, but I suspect that for her, life is not all about enjoyment.
I respectfully disagree. Would it be nice for her to have her swan song and win big at this stage of her career, proving everyone wrong? Yes, absolutely. Is that likely to happen? With the rate and level she's playing at, and which is obviously dictated by her lingering shoulder issues, no. Not to mention she's not getting any younger, and this is a chronic problem that obviously won't just go away even with drastic measures that were put into play (newest surgery). And that's a simple truth. We all know she's too stubborn to quit at this point, but the Sisyphean struggle as you put it takes it's toll, and it is by it's definition useless, so I don't really follow how it's the embodiment of sanity to keep putting yourself through it. I know she keeps telling herself she's a fighter, and she won't back down from this particular fight and I admire her for it, that drive is what made me a fan in the first place after all. But I still stand by my words that perhaps it is time to seriously think about moving on with her life and her career.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Maria :sad:

That was a typical Maria - Serena match :yawn:
And the result was never in doubt. Maria was even more hopeless than usual.

2-20 now in Head To Head vs Serena :tape:
Never in doubt that Serena showed her best tennis vs Maria - again.
Serena is always extra-motivated and extra-focused to beat Maria since the losses in 2004.

Maria is in weak form, looks done. And Serena is a horrible match-up for her.
Maria has lost all her power and strong serve and also movement is worse and slower.
In 2006 - when she won the US Open and beat Henin - Maria hit so much harder and served better.

Maria
6 Winners 20 UEs
Serena
16 Winners 12 UEs

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
I expect a 6-1 6-1 win for Serena :sobbing:
I predicted the score correctly :angel:

No idea why some were delusional/not realistic regarding Maria´s form and the match.
Maria is in weak form. Her matches lately were bad. Maria has lost her power and consistency.
And Serena reached the finals in her last 2 tournaments (Wimbledon and Toronto).

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Would it be nice for her to have her swan song and win big at this stage of her career, proving everyone wrong? Yes, absolutely. Is that likely to happen? With the rate and level she's playing at, and which is obviously dictated by her lingering shoulder issues, no. Not to mention she's not getting any younger, and this is a chronic problem that obviously won't just go away even with drastic measures that were put into play (newest surgery). And that's a simple truth. We all know she's too stubborn to quit at this point, but the Sisyphean struggle as you put it takes it's toll, and it is by it's definition useless, so I don't really follow how it's the embodiment of sanity to keep putting yourself through it. I know she keeps telling herself she's a fighter, and she won't back down from this particular fight and I admire her for it, that drive is what made me a fan in the first place after all. But I still stand by my words that perhaps it is time to seriously think about moving on with her life and her career.
I think I agree with both opinions.

If Maria's body keeps falling apart, then what's the point?
She won't ever be able to put herself in the position to win anything.

However, until she hangs up her racket I'll still believe that she has the ability to win something big.
If only her body would hold up for a few months, she can gain some momentum. Hopefully, at just the right time.

As long as Maria keeps at it, I'll be here supporting her willingness to fight.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
judging by her statements in press conference her shoulder still pretty much fucked up
Frankly, this is what worries me more than her beatdown from Serena's hands or any fucktards hate, either in General Message cesspool which constantly lurks on this subforum or twitter (as long as no one is going to try to stab her during the match, tbh).

Because she bluntly admitted that it's basically hard game for her without serve - no any other load of crap about lack of mentality or belief or her being shell of herself. At the same time one year ago she was seeded, and even at some point nearing top20. It's easy to conclude why she still believes in her abilities - they are there, as long as her body holds up. And by body, it needs to be understood that bloody shoulder obviously.

Seriously, even if her ground game holds up well as it happened in Australia this year, collapses on serve are going to leave her susceptible due regressed footwork, and it will cost her random sets, random matches, which are not random at all, after all. And this means more physical matches, and more physical matches means greater risk of that shoulder not holding up.

Giraffe like her without serve is a worst case scenario for tennis player. It is that simple, really.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mcnally just took a set from Rena, how fucked up Maria is???
That means very little. It just shows how comfortable Serena is with Maria's game opposed to someone she hadn't seen before. We saw when Serena finally got used to Mcnally's game, it was over rather quickly. In order to be more competitive with Serena Maria needs to change a lot, play with more finesse and not make it such a slugfest all the time. But she will never stray that far from her style so she is forever doomed in that matchup unfortunately.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts