Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
expected, still sad to see that with all that practice and workout with other coach her game still stack into atrocity, because regardless serena this is another disasterclass

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
She looked nice in the dress at least. :) but yeah not many positives to take from that... couldn’t really sustain a rally, did not have much of a game plan other than ballbashing, read Serena’s serve better than usual though. :shrug:

The ranking now is rough though, outside the top 130 I think.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
the second half of this year has been a mess but i'm excited for the asian swing. she always does well at those tournaments

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Disapointing but not unexpected.

Hopefully she will play smaller tournaments during the asian awing and try to get as many matches and points as possible

If it was up to me id be playing:

9/9 Hiroshima
16/9 Guangzhao or Seoul
Week off (Wuhan)
Week off (Beijing)
7/10 Tiajin

·
Registered
566 Posts
Serena just knows how to play Maria.

I didn’t quite know why Maria keeps hitting the ball to Serena’s forehand and her own strokes lacked depth and speed and sadly was the major difference in the exchange today.

Serena didn’t even serve well today and still managed to brush Maria aside with her groundstrokes which I found phenomenal - lots of them actually hit the lines and not much to be done about it.

Oh well, onto the next one.

She really needs WC now to gain entry to any WTA tournaments. Will see what her schedule is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
After all these recent struggles I didn't expect to find this performance so very disappointing.

It doesn't matter how good or bad Serena plays.
Maria's already lost before she steps on the court.

0/5 break points won
0/10 second serve points won
0/0 strategy

Maria, get a clue.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
Doesn't annoy me that she played bad. It annoys me that she played brainless. She should be serving the T 90% of time on the deuce side, on ad court only using the slice down T or big to BH but they've instilled in her long ago not to serve there. I know she struggles with serve wide on ad court but it's part of reason Vikas matches were more competitive with Serena, because she was willing to serve there. A good first serve percentage is meaningless if you're serving to all the wrong places.

Playing the middle of the court only works vs Serena if you move good. Not when you're two steps slower at least.

Also FH to FH exchanges there's only going to be one winner currently, should have hit more to BH and used DTL much more to get her moving.

Oh well we've seen the script a thousand times.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just listened to her presser. The shoulder is still a problem. Apparently the Kontaveit match took a lot out of her so she hasn't been able to serve as much or as well as she liked? Anyways. I think she is done. I have been a fan since 2004 and was rooting hard for this comeback and very hopeful she would make it back to the top. But to be honest she is just making a fool out of herself. She just doesn't have it anymore and if she can't stay healthy it makes no sense to keep pushing. What is the definition of insanity again? Something about trying the same thing and expecting a different result. Anyway, now ranked 132, she was never fast, but she definitely has lost a step due to age, and Davenport mentioned this morning that her computed average groundstroke speed is way below that of the best players in today's game. So basically she can't serve, can't run and can no longer out hit the best players and there are no signs that she is developing a plan B game or reinventing herself. I just don't see a way back for her and I hate it that she is now embarrassing herself every time she steps out against a top player.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I've tad bit lost interest in her tennis result, but this loss kinda stung a bit as her fan. As long as she's enjoying her time on court, I dont mind she's making a fool of her self by these defeats though. If she can have one or two big title coming in the future, it's worth the pain. If not, oh well c'est la vie quoi!

·
Registered
961 Posts
It was a very unlucky tournament for Maria, drawing Serena Williams in the 1st round is the worst scenario ever.
Maria wasn't able to win against Serena playing her best tennis, let alone post injury/rehab period when she basically has to start all over with building something on the tennis court.
I believe, Maria would get through the first week with more favorable draw.

I hope she will be smart about her Asian swing and selecting tournaments. Some wins and points would be very welcome at the end of the season. No need to go somewhere just to lose in the first round.

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,859 Posts
I've tad bit lost interest in her tennis result, but this loss kinda stung a bit as her fan. As long as she's enjoying her time on court, I dont mind she's making a fool of her self by these defeats though. If she can have one or two big title coming in the future, it's worth the pain. If not, oh well c'est la vie quoi!
I dont think she is making a fool of herself :rolleyes: We can't imagine how hard these defeats are for her and yet she shows again how strong she is as a person. She can lose to Serena 100 times in a row I don't give a fuck anymore, I still admire her and her personality. I may sound naive though, I dont care :p

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
"Bottom line is I believe in my ability. You can write me off. There are many people that can write me off, especially after going down 6-1, 6-1 in the first round of the US Open.

"As long as it's not the person that's inside of you, you'll be okay."

Maria.:hug: Well, on to the next tournament...

81 - 100 of 114 Posts