·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
It would be absolutely amazing if Maria could pull this off :hysteric:
Yes, but I would not get your hopes up :lol:
Maria is in quite weak form and looked bad in her last matches.
Serena is Serena and reached the Wimbledon final (Maria lost to Parmentier).

I admit I won't see this match, I just have repulsion for this matchup :shrug:
:eek:

I can understand that you hate this match-up. And to see Maria lose AGAIN to Serena.
The (clear and many) losses to Serena hurt. Serena also seems very motivated to beat Maria. Somehow she always peaks against Maria and looks extra-motivated and extra-focused. I think she is still pissed because of the painful loss in the 2004 Wimbledon final and also in the 2004 YEC final to Maria. And also maybe jealous because Maria is beautiful and gets so much attention. So Serena wants to show in the matches that she is better. I expect Serena to be very focused and in killer-mode vs Maria - once again.

But on the other hand this could be Maria´s only US Open and last Grand Slam match of the year.
And it could even be the last Grand Slam match of her career - if everything goes bad.
So I would not miss it. The Grand Slams are the important events, I won´t watch her China matches.

As I said I will watch this match very relaxed - because I have zero expectations ;)
Serena is a horrible match-up for Maria and Maria is in weak form too. So a Maria win is not realistic.
I hope Maria can make at least one set a bit close (like 4-6), but I am not optimistic ...

Maria vs Serena matches are must-see matches to me. And this could be their last meeting.
I like both a lot (equally), both are my favourite players, world-wide superstars = must-watch for me :)
Also I want to see at what level Maria plays (if she has improved her serve/movement/consistency).

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Let´s remember one of her 2 wins over Serena, her great win at WTA Champs 2004 in LA :hearts:

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Yes, but I would not get your hopes up :lol:
Maria is in quite weak form and looked bad in her last matches.
Serena is Serena and reached the Wimbledon final (Maria lost to Parmentier).

:eek:

I can understand that you hate this match-up. And to see Maria lose AGAIN to Serena.
The (clear and many) losses to Serena hurt. Serena also seems very motivated to beat Maria. Somehow she always peaks against Maria and looks extra-motivated and extra-focused. I think she is still pissed because of the painful loss in the 2004 Wimbledon final and also in the 2004 YEC final to Maria. And also maybe jealous because Maria is beautiful and gets so much attention. So Serena wants to show in the matches that she is better. I expect Serena to be very focused and in killer-mode vs Maria - once again.

But on the other hand this could be Maria´s only US Open and last Grand Slam match of the year.
And it could even be the last Grand Slam match of her career - if everything goes bad.
So I would not miss it. The Grand Slams are the important events, I won´t watch her China matches.

As I said I will watch this match very relaxed - because I have zero expectations ;)
Serena is a horrible match-up for Maria and Maria is in weak form too. So a Maria win is not realistic.
I hope Maria can make at least one set a bit close (like 4-6), but I am not optimistic ...

Maria vs Serena matches are must-see matches to me. And this could be their last meeting.
I like both a lot (equally), both are my favourite players, world-wide superstars = must-watch for me :)
Also I want to see at what level Maria plays (if she has improved her serve/movement/consistency).
No way Maria would allow a Serena loss to be the last Grand Slam match of her career. :lol:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
What is the strategy? Serve placement is more important than speed. Get Serena wide and open the court. If Maria's drop shot is working, it would be fun to see Serena try to run forward.

·
Milk and honey
3,273 Posts
Such riggery :lol: well, they finally got the MaRena USO match they've been wanting for forever.

Maria obviously has a chance to win, because anything can happen in this sport. However, the chance is sitting in the 2-5% chance range, because no matter how well or how poorly she plays, 2 things are certain:

1) Serena will go out as motivated as she would be in a slam final, and actually move her feet again for once which is likely to result in a very clean match from her end

2) If Maria does somehow engineer a lead, her complete mental fragility these days and utter lack of belief against Serena will kill any chances she has of making an impact on the match.

That said, there's no point going out there if you don't think you can win. I know that Maria will go out there and give it her very best, and I will be cheering for her as always, from the first ball to the last. That's all we can do - and while we need a complete miracle, we can hope for one.

Post USO, playing Wuhan-Beijing-Moscow is likely what she'll do, but I'd love it if she snuck a cheap 250 in there to gain some much needed confidence and wins. Give it your all tomorrow Mashenka :armed:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Learning from the past - no expectations at all and frankly I am expecting a loss

If she can somehow play some inspired tennis out of nowhere ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SharaFamily
21,137 Posts
Learning from the past - no expectations at all and frankly I am expecting a loss

If she can somehow play some inspired tennis out of nowhere ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly no matter how well Maria played, Serena's serve killed it all

Remember how well She played in AO 2015, her groundstroke was just delicous but can't take a set.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
In retrospect, playing the grass season and losing the PR was not a good move.

I watched highlights of 2015 AO last night. Maria could have won the first set.

·
-Team Yastremska-
3,202 Posts
:lol: Folks, relax.
There are at least 20 players in the draw she would lose R1 easily to. Yes, the outcome will be very ugly this time (16,26) but whatever still better than 67,67.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
In retrospect, playing the grass season and losing the PR was not a good move.

I watched highlights of 2015 AO last night. Maria could have won the first set.
2016?

Was thinking much the same. What was most disappointing about that match is how well she served beforehand and then it was AWOL.

I just hope the scoreline is respectable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has seen this article, but it says this about Maria’s shoulder, which doesn’t sound good:

‘Sharapova, according to tennis insiders, is not so fit and stands as a big long shot. The right shoulder that was operated on 10 years ago still is bothering her and she’s also had forearm issues. Eventually Sharapova will need another shoulder surgery, but that likely will come after retirement, according to sources.’

There is no source named so could just be speculation.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/25/serena-williams-maria-sharapova-opener-could-be-us-open-flop/

That aside, I really really hope she can make it competitive tonight, but I’m not optimistic and definitely won’t be staying up to watch this one.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I don’t know if anyone has seen this article, but it says this about Maria’s shoulder, which doesn’t sound good:

‘Sharapova, according to tennis insiders, is not so fit and stands as a big long shot. The right shoulder that was operated on 10 years ago still is bothering her and she’s also had forearm issues. Eventually Sharapova will need another shoulder surgery, but that likely will come after retirement, according to sources.’

There is no source named so could just be speculation.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/25/serena-williams-maria-sharapova-opener-could-be-us-open-flop/

That aside, I really really hope she can make it competitive tonight, but I’m not optimistic and definitely won’t be staying up to watch this one.
There is no mention of the surgery this year. I think it is speculation.

I do hope Serena's back is hurting her like hell tonight!

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
3:38
Serena:
"I don´t believe I played the Wimbledon final."
"I don´t know who it was. But I wasn´t at Wimbledon this year."
:lol:

Serena was sooo pissed she lost the 2004 Wimbledon final to Maria :eek:h:
And since losing again at YEC 2004, Serena is extra-motivated to beat Maria again and again.

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,828 Posts
Serena was sooo pissed she lost the 2004 Wimbledon final to Maria :eek:h:
And since losing again at YEC 2004, Serena is extra-motivated to beat Maria again and again.
Oh rly?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts