1 - 20 of 493 Posts

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to open this one too, I assume :D

Reactions: Bigkimfan

· Registered
2,570 Posts
From what I can see, Kim's only real roadblock to the final is Amelie. I don't know Kim's record against Zvonereva and a few others, but Amelie is the only real challenge I see. Considering Amelie is coming off injury and will have played 3 weeks in a row by the time the QF are played, I think/hope Kim can come through easily (or at least in 3 sets).

Justine has an easy ass draw to the semis...

· Registered
11,975 Posts
Amelie and Vera will be very tough!!

· Registered
7,022 Posts
Peridotpixie said:
Does anyone know what Amelie's results have been recently?
I must admit, I'm worried. No Venus is good, but Vera and Amelie could spell trouble.
She lost to Dementieva in Toronto..and apparently her back injury is acting up a bit. She said hardcourts are the worst to play on when you have an injury...

She's definatly a tough opponent..but I think we'll have to see how she is doing physically by the Quarters..

· Registered
24,988 Posts
Kimmie all the way!!!!!! Take that title!!!:worship:

· Registered
1,314 Posts
:yippee: :bounce: GO KIM!!!! :bounce: :yippee:

· Registered
7,943 Posts
I actually don't think the draw is that bad, Vera Z lost to Pistolesi in New Haven and Suarez in Toronto, both of those players are clay courters, if Kim plays as we know she can she should win she beat her in round 3 last year, when she wasn't playing as well as she is this year. As for Mauresmo, well if you had to take a Mauresmo QF or Venus SF I'd take the Mauresmo QF, Mauresmo lost to Dementieva in Toronto, and who knows Lina may take out Mauresmo. Overall I say :yeah: to this draw, but I have to say Henin got a piss easy walk to the semis :mad: Oh well at least all those detractors in GM can't say Kim's draw is a cakewalk or that it is riged in her favour now, also what it does is it cuts out possible bonus points for Henin while Kim can gain heaps and that makes it harder for Henin to catch Kim at 1 :)

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
36,726 Posts
Vera is not that good on hardcourt, don't worry ;)

Amelie is always a surprise..either she's terrible or either she's great..

Justine's road to the semi's might be easier then Kim's..but I'd rather face harder opponents and meet Linds in semi's then face easy opponents and Venus in semi.

· Registered
7,943 Posts
I've been doing some ranking calcualtions :p

And Kim MUST make the semis to retain her 1 rank,that is if Henin wins the title. If Henin wins the title she is 6200 something but if Kim made the semis she woud still be ahead on 6300 something, that is counting bonus points for the hichgest ranked possible opponets,except for the bonus i counted for a henin in the final where i coutned davenport cause im doing this based on kim making semis ( so didn't count 200 bonus on Henins possible points). Kim would be ahead still as her 4thround opponent offers more bonus points than Henins, also i don't see myskina making QF so that drops of more potential bonus points for Henin from the 6200 something total she coud get.

Don't have the calculations with me but if you want I can post them later, but basically to be 100% sure of being 1 after the open Kim has to make the semis which I think she can but alot depends on mauremo's fitness but Kim has beaten her the last two times, and mauresmo only won 7-5 in the third at the open last year and Mauremos was in her best form while Kim wasn't.

Come On Kimmie :bounce: You can do it I know you can :)

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kornelija said:
I somehow have a feeling kim will win this US open, but I somehow don't trust it that much:D. Anyway good luck Kimmie!!!
I think it is certainly not a bad draw at all for Kim, not that it's a walk in the park, but it's fine for me!

However I am at the point that I don't dare to expect too good a run, read win the whole thing, to avoid too much stress and disappointment... I'm not over the Australian Open experience yet... :eek: :mad: :sad:

That said, I trust she should do fine, and I know she CAN, but to use a cliché, I'll take one match a time.

Btw where is that CCL nursing? :mad: The vacancy isn't filled yet! :sad:
Is there really not one single CCL'er with some medical skills to help out during matches, just in case! We all know how Kim can torture her fans :tape: Anyone? :p

Back to seriousness (or an attempt :p ) I don't count Venus and Jennifer out at all. I think that the winner will be among these two, added by Kim and Justine, one of these four (at random) and Momo as a dark horse (although I wouldn't put my money on her as she is back from injury and is very questionable when it comes to dealing with the pressures in a final state of the rounds...I like her game when it's on a lot, though, that on a side note).
I do realise Venus is back from injury, but she'll be hungry for it, and that makes Venus, even if let's assume not physically at 100%, still a very dangerous top contender. tennis isn't only a physical game of the fittest, but I dare to state as much a game of the strongest by will power.
I didn't mention Davenport, not that I don't count her as a great player, but she fails to impress me as very dangerous right now.

That said, I think I'm heading for some candles, have to ask my mom for some spare rosary-whatever thing Kim's granny uses as good luck token... it won't be any harm, I assume (although, on second thoughts :scratch: I might risk to burn down my house, though ... hum... :p ) Or do I get out of the house and head for NY, and try some less religious :D and rather unsportive tricks :devil: on Kim's opponents :confused: :p
Or do I ask Tinne or Kets to help out as they are there anyway? (Mod off :wavey: while pondering what to do to help maximising Kim's chances and selfishly minimising own risks on further heart attacks and such... :p )

Nah, seriously, :bounce: GO KIM! Show them who's number one! :bounce:

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all my irony I'm forgetting to post what I meant to do LOL: :eek:

This is from the UK, from Sky:

"Venus won't be beaten" according to... euh you better see for yourself! http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,14-1101107,00.html

Highlight from the article from Skysports, August 21, 2003

I think the tournament will come down to a contest between Williams and the two Belgians, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, although Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati and Amelie Mauresmo - if she gets her game right - could be in with an outside chance.

Kim Clijsters became world number one a couple of weeks ago. She is still yet to win a major and will see the lack of Serena as a major opportunity for her.

Clijsters is obviously very proud of her ranking and is there because she has been the best consistently, but should someone be able to be world number one without having won a Grand Slam? Probably not and I think that is a problem with the WTA rankings that needs to addressed.

At Roland Garros Clijsters collapsed quite spectacularly in the final. But I am certain that she has it in her to win the big matches. As soon as she gets her first Grand Slam on the board I've no doubt that more will follow.

It will be interesting to see the reaction between Clijsters and her compatriot if they do meet at Flushing Meadow. These days Henin-Hardenne seems to have gained a mental edge over her rival.

Clijsters has been incensed by some of her on court behaviour, such as when Henin- Hardenne stopped a match to get treatment for a blister. For someone as placid as Clijsters to actually speak out so vocally she must be really riled.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.