Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondered who will play :confused:

Serena: really don`t think she`ll play again this year, perhaps the Championships...

Venus: same as Serena, both have enough to deal with after their sister`s horrible death...

Lindsay: Don`t really know how seriously she is injured. Is she able to play the Championships? Does she have to play Fed Cup to be allowed to play the Olympics?

Jennifer: She has definitely a short cutted schedule, perhaps because she wants to play Fed Cup. Same as Lindsay, does she have to play to be allowed to play at Athens 2004? Perhaps someone just can ask Jen at Filderstadt (Jen`s wife? :wavey: ) if she wants to play Fed Cup... :worship:

Monica: is out injured!

Chanda: I think she definitely is going to play.

Shaughnessy: If Jennifer stays at home, she will be the second singles player, IMO. Anyway she will be part of the team.

Raymond: She is the best doubles player the US has, I think, she will be there, too.

What are your suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
i don't think the williams sisters will play for personal reasons. lindsay has the injury and monica is also injured. capriati should definately be in imo but does that past conflict still exist? plus she has that shoulder injury.

chanda should be in. shaughnessy would be my next pick for singles and then stevenson. raymond for the doubles.

Reactions: vs1 and ilovemomo

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Well if Serena, Venus & Lindsay don't play which looks likely and Jennifer won't and Monica can't then you do only have Chanda Rubin and Meghann Shaughnessy left as the only available US players with a top 20 singles ranking.

Lisa Raymond will be used for doubles of course but then the intriguing thing is that after Lindsay and Lisa the only other US top 10 doubles player is Martina Navratilova who's had a great year in doubles and mixed. Will BJK use a Raymond / Navratilova doubles combo? It would be interesting.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
:D Fancy a Captain putting someone in that you played nearly 30 years ago!
Simply Amazing if Martina could get in :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I think the US team will be Chanda Rubin, Meghann Shaughnessy, Lisa Raymond and Ashley Harkleroad.

Chanda will play No. 1 singles and the doubles. Meghann will play No. 2 singles. Lisa will play doubles with Chanda. Ashley will be the reserve.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
BJ loves stars. Martina Nav is a star. It does yield a good doubles team.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Martina/Lisa Raymond would "not" be an effective team, IMO. Lisa is the best doubles player. King would sooner pair her with Rubin or Shaughnessy instead.

And methinks Harkleroad has a better chance of making the team than Martina.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
Ashley is pathetic on fast surfaces. She only can play on slow surfaces. And Moscow carpet is very fast. Raymond will make much better reserve player than Ashley. But, are you sure that it is only 4- players team. Remember, it is not a single tie, but potentially 2 ties.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of you seem to think that Jen doesn`t want to play and BJK doesn`t want to nominate her. I prefer Jen playing Fed Cup but if she doesn`t it won`t be that bad. The only thing that bothers me is whether she is allowed to play at Athens 2004 or not. I really want her to win a second Gold medal. That would be a story - 12 years later a second Gold... :kiss:

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Jennifer is already eligible for the Olympics. She said that in her press conference at Wimbledon.

I think the Fed Cup final is way too late in the year. The off-season is already miniscule and I think 6-7 weeks isn't enough of an off-season for most players. That gives players no recovery time at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.