Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the site is still using the OBJECT tag to embed the youtube player in posts.

OBJECT was declared deprecated by youtube earlier this year as they've switched their default player to the HTML5 player. They suggest that developers switch to using IFRAME.

Site admins will you be updating the coding of the YOUTUBE bbtag to reflect the new interface?

An added benefit, this allows the playing of embedded youtube videos on iPads and smartphone browsers without opening a separate app.

·
Premium Member
66,158 Posts
Don't get your hopes up, I've been on this forum for over 8 years now and I am still trying to get the Georgian flag updated to the one we use since 2003. :lol:

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Wait. This site has a webmaster . . and techs? Then why is so much of it so technically dated? Vbulletin is up to version 5. And there's lots of now common custom code that could be useful.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could ask the techs about this. I can't make any promises since I don't know much about how html5 works. But just to comfirm, do you mean this:

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238839

Lee
No I don't mean supporting the HTML5 video tag.

though that would also be nice. Supporting the html5 video tag directly would mean we could store videos on Google Drive or our own file hosts that and just hotlink our MP4 videos and display them in our posts like they were jpg photos.

I mean this note from the Google Developers blog.

https://developers.google.com/youtube/youtube-api-list

YouTube JavaScript Player API (DEPRECATED - January 27, 2015)

The YouTube JavaScript Player API has been deprecated as of January 27, 2015. YouTube Flash <object> embeds have also been deprecated. Please migrate your applications to the IFrame API, which can intelligently use whichever embedded player – HTML (<video>) or Flash (<object>) – the client supports.

YouTube Flash Player API (DEPRECATED - January 27, 2015)

The YouTube ActionScript 3.0 Player API, also known as the YouTube Flash Player API (AS3), has been deprecated as of January 27, 2015. YouTube Flash <object> embeds have also been deprecated. Please migrate your applications to the IFrame API, which can intelligently use whichever embedded player – HTML (<video>) or Flash (<object>) – the client supports.
The IFRAME API it refers to is described here https://developers.google.com/youtube/iframe_api_reference

·
Administrator
1,945 Posts
hmmm.... At the moment I don't think this is possible since we're still working on fixing the bugs in the new app, but I would recommend that you repost this in the app feedback thread and ask them there, I notice that there hasn't hasn't been any response in here yet by the other members.

Maybe if there were more people who demand it, it could be something that we can work on.

This is a good idea but it would need some convincing.

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts