Tennis Forum banner

661 - 680 of 825 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Out of these 3 cases one is clear. That is all I am saying. Reinfection happened there. That proves it can happen. In what circumstances? How often? Well, for answers on that, anecdotal evidence is of no help. And chill, I read all I can on this pandemic. Not news bits but medical sources.
As I mentioned, in humans reinfection is still inconclusive, but most likely it can happen (as per the lab testing under controlled situtions with the monkeys). However, that may be a moot point; the issue is not that you may get reinfected, but that as your body has developed sufficient immunity, viral replication does not take place and thus you do not suffer the ill effects (if the monkey experiment holds true for humans). That has interesting implications. Suppose a player had it before and developed immunity and has no symptoms or ill effects before the tournament, but he is contagious, and is tested positive before the tournament, should he be allowed to play? What if both players are positive in a match? Should they both be allowed to play?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This particular case had a very bad 1st infection with ICU for 2 weeks. The 2nd infection was milder. As I said, they tested the guy and he had antibodies for c19 so basically should have been immune. The only logical explanation they could give is that the 2nd is a different strain.
Yeah, so far there is no definitive answer on aquired immunity. Some studies say it's on par with the common cold as in you will be immune for some weeks or months and then you can get it again. That would mean the vaccine is a moot point. Hopefully it'll go more like the flu with a year long immunity and we get a working vaccine combining all the various strains out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This particular case had a very bad 1st infection with ICU for 2 weeks. The 2nd infection was milder. As I said, they tested the guy and he had antibodies for c19 so basically should have been immune. The only logical explanation they could give is that the 2nd is a different strain.
Yeah, so far there is no definitive answer on aquired immunity. Some studies say it's on par with the common cold as in you will be immune for some weeks or months and then you can get it again. That would mean the vaccine is a moot point. Hopefully it'll go more like the flu with a year long immunity and we get a working vaccine combining all the various strains out there.
Or alternatively the hypothesis is that his body developed immunity to the second infection and thus the effects were milder. All the viruses that we have seen in history have shown an ability to mutate to their host, so there will be no definitive vaccine for COVID-19, EVER (if the flu virus trajectory holds). But as you implied that doesn't mean a particular vaccine for an individual strain is not useful; by stimulating the antibodies with a mild case, the body is prepared for a larger shock. That after all is how vaccines work: it provides a small non-lethal infection.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I wouldn‘t be surprise if Zverev thinks, he probably already had Corona last December and is immune now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This actually lines up with acquired immunity. On a first infection, innate immunity kicks in first and eventually antigen presenting cells have to activate the cells of acqiured immunity (B and T cells). This takes several days and is why a first infection will be more severe. The activated B cells generate massive amounts of antibodies specific for the same antigen the parent B cell is specific for, and these circulate in your blood for varying amounts of time. Activated T cells are also present in the blood.
Upon a second infection, your acquired immunity is already present. This doesn't mean you won't have any symptoms, it just means your body doesn't have to wait days for antibodies or T cells specific for the pathogen to get made. They are already present in your blood and can fight off the infection. You may not get symptoms, or you might but it will be milder than the first case.

Reinfection of SARS-CoV-2 can happen. The real unanswered question is can you get seriously sick from a second infection, which is answered by understanding the amount and duration of the circulating antibodies and T cells specific for that strain generated from an initial infection. Time will tell about the duration, impossible to answer so quickly. Studies are currently going on into the strength of acquired immunity.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Coronavirus exposed that the jock-douche stereotype is for real.
Boys will be boys

By the way, off topic, but very disappointed I could not get in on that Petra thread where she allegedly is wrecking a home before it was locked. You did some good work in there, but my I'd have a lot of fun with that one. Oh well.

·
Registered
31,248 Posts
I wouldn‘t be surprise if Zverev thinks, he probably already had Corona last December and is immune now.
The guy probably had a cough but he probably believes he had it before everyone else because he is oh so special. Tony Godsick is working his ass off to establish him as Federer's heir but he's breaking his quarantine to "dance off beat" with douchebags and gold diggers. Tragic.

I'm dead @ Carole Bouchard and Christopher Clarey who are ignoring the whole thing because it's related to the Adria Tour (Bouchard) or because he's Team8's go-to guy who's probably on their payroll (Clarey). Predictable AF.

·
Registered
17,834 Posts
Djokovic, Thiem and Zverev seem to be in a personal battle with each other right now to see who can look like more of a jerk. And clearly this is a competition none of them want to lose. Just when it looks like one of them has the advantage one of the others simply goes....hold my beer for a moment......
Other than that weird Serbian quote, Djokovic hasn't been particularly public since his IG apology, right? Unless I missed something? If he's not going to offer more contrition, he really needs to stop engaging, period. Keeping a super low profile is the best he can do right now unless he can turn water into a vaccine. Stay home and train, train, train if he plans on showing up for whatever "real" tournaments we see this year.

I think that Zverev and Thiem continuing to ramp around Europe while he stays silent at home might actually help his case.

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
Maybe Russia wants to have him.

The German press is all over him, he won't get a foot on the ground for quite some while here.

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
With the levels of carelessness and arrogance we've been seeing, I really doubt these players have the capacity or desire to develop actual firm views on issues of importance.
That's why I have always been wondering, why ppl consider the opinions of athletes or actors on political issues so important.

This is the very time to see, that even under water they would survive by breathing the air in their own heads.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
By the way, off topic, but very disappointed I could not get in on that Petra thread where she allegedly is wrecking a home before it was locked. You did some good work in there, but my I'd have a lot of fun with that one. Oh well.
??????

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
That's why I have always been wondering, why ppl consider the opinions of athletes or actors on political issues so important.

This is the very time to see, that even under water they would survive by breathing the air in their own heads.
Absolutely. Singers, actors and athletes (and similar) should not be given such a gigantic platform to talk to the entire world about things they don't understand.

Do we give politicians a huge platform to sing or dance? Not really.

Of course everyone should be entitled to their opinions and have the ability to share their views, but with the insane amount of influence these people have, we really should find a way to have the information they spread fact checked or at least require them to have some basic level of education in whatever they're sharing.

Reactions: Libertango

·
Registered
69 Posts
So much for rooting for Kyrgios after seeing his irresponsible Zverev-shaming while driving.
Are there any likable current ATP players?
Driving a righthand drive car with your seatbelt over your left shoulder is a pretty cool thing to do.....that's something to root for......

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Boys will be boys

Yes, thank you. It takes a real artist to appreciate the good work of another artist. Long live Petra for this.

661 - 680 of 825 Posts