Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 825 Posts

·
Registered
32,304 Posts
Danger-wise, it may well be the opposite, though: if he hadn't actually played it might not be taken as seriously. He was almost certainly infectious before the onset of symptoms, but given Djoker's magical thinking about this, it would have been possible to hide things if Dimitrov hadn't physically shown himself to be unwell.

Someone on Twitter has been pointing out Dimitrov might not even be the first person from the event to contract coronavirus, but just the first one to test positive. Apparently, it's not clear that whether everyone (or anyone), including staffers, entourages, players, was tested before hand.
so people that feel sick should keep going about their business until they test positive? The event would have been cancelled whether he played or not, but he made the choice to go on court sick and endanger others. He knew he was sick. Maybe it was corona, maybe not, but it was reckless.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The clownery is too much. It seems like people don't understand that even if you are healthy and might personally not die from the virus, you can infect people who can die from the virus. This event was irresponsible in so many ways, but its very public disregard for any scientific advice should not have come as a surprise since Djokovic was behind it.

And Dimitrov was not asymptomatic.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
so people that feel sick should keep going about their business until they test positive? The event would have been cancelled whether he played or not, but he made the choice to go on court sick and endanger others. He knew he was sick. Maybe it was corona, maybe not, but it was reckless.
Per the first point, no, but let's go further and acknowledge the event simply shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Per the second, I don't believe for a second the Djokovic PR machine would have announced a possible coronavirus cluster from his event if they had a way to avoid it, but Dimitrov's visible illness televised and livestreamed made it impossible to cover anything up anything up.

·
Registered
17,834 Posts
Idiot Djokovic should be fined for this. He held an event with no social distancing, crowds in attendance, no safety precautions. There was even a party that was attended by many.

I hope Dimitrov gets well soon..
It's exactly this thinking that's going to prevent tennis from coming back. Yes, Djokovic should have done better, and a lot of what happened was completely ridiculous, but there's also the larger issue of these destinations thinking that the pandemic is over. These players knew exactly what the risks were and they continued to act out like they did. Unless Djokovic forced these guys to participate like they did, I wouldn't be so quick to point a finger at any ONE person. They're all at fault, because they all acted like idiots.

·
Registered
32,304 Posts
Per the first point, no, but let's go further and acknowledge the event simply shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Per the second, I don't believe for a second the Djokovic PR machine would have announced a possible coronavirus cluster from his event if they had a way to avoid it, but Dimitrov's visible illness televised and livestreamed made it impossible to cover anything up anything up.
You think the US wouldn’t reopen if it had less than 20 cases per day? Life has to go on, but people who are sick need to stay home. This one’s on him.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
You think the US wouldn’t reopen if it had less than 20 cases per day? Life has to go on, but people who are sick need to stay home. This one’s on him.
I think Novak Djokovic just hosted an event in Serbia that may well turn into a super-spreader cluster. That's a risk he decided was worth testing out his 'hugs solve everything' pseudo-science.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
From the 'will the US Open be played' thread:

The German league has been resumed for a while now, no issues whatsoever. The Italian, Spanish, and English leagues have all started more recently but the players have been in contact training for weeks now with no COVID spread. All of the players and staff in these leagues are under mass testing regimes - just like the US Open and unlike any of what you just mentioned. When a player/staff in England tests positive for COVID - which happens because they are not in a bubble and are allowed to freely interact with the outside world - they get immediately isolated and the virus doesn't spread in football.

The people trying to use this clown fiesta - which included zero social distancing, zero testing, and tons of partying at packed nightclubs - as an excuse to try and get the two months away US Open canceled are shameless.
As @njnetswill said in this thread....:

If Dimitrov, who had a recent travel history to the US, did not get tested before being allowed to participate, I'm fairly confident no one involved was tested.
For tennis to come back, the tours will have to institute strict distancing, far beyond what Djokovic did at the 2020 Wiccan Coven Adria Tennis Tour Hug-A-Palooza, and probably daily (or twice-daily) testing.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
This is such a massive fail on the part of everyone involved that I just can't. Really.

First off, there's the government of Serbia that went from imposing some of the strictest lockdown measures in Europe to lifting all restrictions basically overnight, for their own stupid agenda, that is, holding the national elections before the second wave strikes again.

Đoković himself had to do it differently. Granted, when the tournament was announced, the epidemic in Serbia looked to be subsiding. However, there had been a significant increase in new positive cases in the days leading up to the tournament and some adjustments simply had to be made. Just playing in front of the full crowd would have been massively irresponsible, but having all these extra events and parties and such just took it to another level.

But ultimately, it's on the other players as well. They knew what they were getting themselves into. They could have simply showed up, played a couple of matches and packed it up. I don't think anyone was forced into clubbing and partying like there's no tomorrow. And lastly, for Dimitrov to feel unwell and still show up for the match... No words.

But at the end of the day, they're all probably going to be just fine while this moronic event might well contribute to forcing us into another lockdown and I want to scream bloody murder.

·
Registered
15,577 Posts
Đoković himself had to do it differently. Granted, when the tournament was announced, the epidemic in Serbia looked to be subsiding. However, there had been a significant increase in new positive cases in the days leading up to the tournament and some adjustments simply had to be made. Just playing in front of the full crowd would have been massively irresponsible, but having all these extra events and parties and such just took it to another level.
we all know djoko doesn't really believe in the risk of the virus as he doesn't believe in the vaccine and he wouldn't have hosted event that literally had zero difference compared to a regular tour event. he's just not saying what he really feels bc he's obsessed with being liked and needing to be PC. i hope he gets dragged for this in the media.

i didn't know they were hosting player parties too... that's insane to me :/ but grigor is so dumb too, if you are feeling unwell why would you risk everyone, also why didn't they the event host do any basic health screening? just yesterday i had an eye exam and they had to do a basic health screening before letting me in the office. people are really selfish.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Well well well.

Weren't they all lecturing people how they're not in the same position as the West and they're handling the pandemic so well (even though they're definitely doing a lot worse than Australia and New Zealand, but whatever) and so they could do whatever they wanted?

I feel bad for all the players and fans affected by this but maybe this will influence them to not risk their health or the health of other people so much.

Reactions: marismexico

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
How irresponsible, it would be a disgrace for the whole tennis community if Grigor and the others partying without any protection meassure, spreading the virus everywhere, would be the cause for an outbreak of coronavirus in Europe´s core, how are they going to explain now that RG and the USO will be safe?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Vekic, Zverev and his girlfriend, Rublev, Coric, Cilic got tested this evening.
Results will be known soon.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Testing for players in Adria Tour was voluntary and Djokovic chose not to test himself because he is feeling fine.
Some media state he is travelling or has already travelled back to Serbia.

41 - 60 of 825 Posts