Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 833 Posts

·
Art & Futures
20,435 Posts
I didnt understand the lack of any distancing there. A golfer tested positive, a jockey did, a MMA fighter did
Every sport is going to have this. Tennis has built-in distancing, and I dont think one or 2 positives will stop these summer events
no double net play allowed. once you are at the net the other person can't come to the net or else they are disqualified :p

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Way too soon to be playing tennis with crowds, ballkids, etc. and not a mask in sight.

Hope others will be more cautious.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The USO will be a mess.

Players will test positive and be forced to withdraw immediately. At least in a team sport, there will be other teammates to pick up the slack. Still, the sport needs to find a way to continue in spite of the risks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Idiot Djokovic should be fined for this. He held an event with no social distancing, crowds in attendance, no safety precautions. There was even a party that was attended by many.

I hope Dimitrov gets well soon..
If I was an ATP player, I would ask for Djokovic to step down from his position in the players council. He's clearly not mentally fit to lead the tour regarding important decisions on how to safely bring back the sport.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
If I was an ATP player, I would ask for Djokovic to step down from his position in the players council. He's clearly not mentally fit to lead the tour regarding important decisions on how to safely bring back the sport.
If I was an ATP player I would get a 3m length of 2x4 and belt Djokovic around the head from a safe social distance. But yeah, definitely unfit for a leadership role. He's been a complete arse regards this pandemic.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
It would have to be Grigor... I get the impression he's really friendly and a people person who loves getting up close with everyone. I also get the distinct impression that he's not the sharpest knife in the box and is the stereotypical Dumb Jock. So I hope he's well and hope he gets better advice from actual friends, not just meal ticket hangers on.

Thanks a lot Mr. Pseudoscience-kovic. Maybe he believes you can the virus only affects gluten eaters.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
How TF did Serbia even allow such an event with no safeguards at all especially when involving international players?

Also, Djokovic himself didn't bother in taking any precautions while organizing this event either. What a bad look for everyone involved here. 🤦

·
Registered
7,368 Posts

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I don't care how "nice" Dimitrov might be. If you are dumb enough to disregard all safety and ignore a pandemic that is leaving thousands of deaths each day, it's hard for me to feel sorry for him. I do for the people he might have infected when he stopped partying and hugging and that he's put at risk by his irresponsible behaviour.

And that is really disgusting from Wawrinka. He must have two living brain cells at most.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I think he’s more so laughing at the inevitability of this happening and I am laughing with him.

This entire idea was stupid from the get.
Indeed. There's a small, evil part of me that is glad it backfired on them to teach certain people a lesson. Especially after watching that player's party which was cringeworthy and reckless in equal amounts.

·
Registered
30,034 Posts
This whole thing is just so ridiculous. It really had to happen. Can't believe Djokovic and the organizers actually pulled that off and I was shaking my head when I was reading their announcement that all safety measures were in place. Are they not aware everyone saw the players partying in a night club and being in close contact with fans?

I wish him a speedy recovery, he will probably be fine but still. Unbelievable.

The USO will be a mess.

Players will test positive and be forced to withdraw immediately. At least in a team sport, there will be other teammates to pick up the slack. Still, the sport needs to find a way to continue in spite of the risks.
It's obviously not ideal but I'm sure they will be doing a much better job at quarantining the players and having social distancing in place. But yeah, it's potentially very messy but I see no alternative for the tennis sport. They will do the best they can and in the end, a player withdrawing is unfortunate for them and makes it hard to take the tournament serious but it should be ok (from a tournament point of view).

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What a fucking idiot Dimitrov is though. He felt sick yesterday and still played a match. What a moron.

you can’t blame someone for getting sick, but you certainly can blame them from putting others in danger when they know they don’t feel well.
Danger-wise, it may well be the opposite, though: if he hadn't actually played it might not be taken as seriously. He was almost certainly infectious before the onset of symptoms, but given Djoker's magical thinking about this, it would have been possible to hide things if Dimitrov hadn't physically shown himself to be unwell.

Someone on Twitter has been pointing out Dimitrov might not even be the first person from the event to contract coronavirus, but just the first one to test positive. Apparently, it's not clear that whether everyone (or anyone), including staffers, entourages, players, was tested before hand.

·
King
28,659 Posts
The USO will be a mess.
Except the USO will have zero crowds, and players will actually be forced to social distance...

I’m actually super shocked at how irresponsible and tone deaf this event was - full crowds, players hugging, a player’s party. And considering the comments that have been made about the USO about certain players, it’s very clear the only thing some of the fat cats on the ATP care about it money, money, money, as opposed to safety. I’m glad DRC called out Djokovic like she did, because what a complete idiot.

21 - 40 of 833 Posts